posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Sad end of a good little boat

Doug has a trawler. He's not a 'powerboater'.

His trawler is a powerboat. It's just a slow one. I sail 3 times a week
on my own vessel and he sails 3 times all season on someone elses boat.
He's a powerboater,

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 07:15:24 -0400, DSK wrote:

If it had been steel, it would not have made 1/10th the cruises it did,
because it would be too heavy to trailer so easily.

Gilligan wrote:
If it were steel you could have welded wheels on to it to save weight by
eliminating the trailer.

Wheels? We don' need no steenkeeng WHEELS!
http://www.mciwest.usmc.mil/images/amphib.jpg

DSK

Hey, that was my ride! (actually one version earlier)

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Gilligan wrote:
If it were steel you could have welded wheels on to it to save weight by
eliminating the trailer.

Wheels? We don' need no steenkeeng WHEELS!
http://www.mciwest.usmc.mil/images/amphib.jpg

DSK

Hey, that was my ride! (actually one version earlier)

Frank

Kewl! How much surf can they handle?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Gilligan wrote:
If it were steel you could have welded wheels on to it to save weight by
eliminating the trailer.

Wheels? We don' need no steenkeeng WHEELS!
http://www.mciwest.usmc.mil/images/amphib.jpg

DSK

Hey, that was my ride! (actually one version earlier)

Frank

Kewl! How much surf can they handle?

Once the tracks hit ground, surf is not an issue. Until then, they
more or less go with the flow.

It is a horrible experience if you are a passenger (infantry) in
swells. No possible way to avoid getting seasick if you have the
tendency. Crew can open the hatches and stick their heads out look
at the horizon and breath fresh air. Passengers cannot.

Most disconcerting time is when launching from a ship. When you go
down the ramp you are temporarily completley submerged. Top cargo
hatches generally leak. Passengers get wet and mull over the laws of
physics that govern buoyancy.

New version (pictured) may be better, they were coming in when I was
getting out.

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ps.com...

A boat like the
19 is sold on it's practical aspects, which has no place in the heart
of a true sailor.

You are absolutely correct here Rob, a true sailor is guided by his mind,
not his heart.

Gilligan

posted to alt.sailing.asa

You are absolutely correct here Rob, a true sailor is guided by his
mind,
not his heart.

One might hope you didn't believe this....but I bet you do.
A true sailor is guided by both.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...

You are absolutely correct here Rob, a true sailor is guided by his
mind,
not his heart.

One might hope you didn't believe this....but I bet you do.
A true sailor is guided by both.

I'd rather it was said:

"One might think you didn't believe this...but I bet you do."

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Do you know how many 19s Hunter has sold?

Do you know how many Mac26x have sold? Does that make it a

good
sailboat or a cleverly marketed item to dupe the

unsuspecting buyer.
Why don't you ask Doug about his comments regarding the

H19 that he
would not buy if he could do it again.

So you don't know, do ya?

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"DSK" wrote in message
Scotty wrote:

That's a shame. Do you know if he had insurance?

Yes, and we talked about what it would be worth to keep /
buy back from the ins co. such as the motor, equipment,

etc.
It's going to be some loss no matter how he works it.

Well, at least it should help some. I never had insurance on
any of my trailerables.

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com..
..
Judging by how much sailing it has done, it's a better

boat
than any you'v ever owned or ever will.

Oh, so the King of Keels judges boat quality by how much

it is sailed.
That makes every new boat pretty crappy.
This summer we still sailed our 35s5 an average of 3 days

a week,
mostly daysails with little Thomas.

Wow, that's 3 miles a week, times 8 weeks (?), woohoo.. ***
24 MILES ****

You *ARE* the MASTER MARINER !!!!!