posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default Sad end of a good little boat

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 08:27:29 -0400, Jeff wrote:

Frank Boettcher wrote:
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 07:15:24 -0400, DSK wrote:

If it had been steel, it would not have made 1/10th the cruises it did,
because it would be too heavy to trailer so easily.

Gilligan wrote:
If it were steel you could have welded wheels on to it to save weight by
eliminating the trailer.

Wheels? We don' need no steenkeeng WHEELS!
http://www.mciwest.usmc.mil/images/amphib.jpg

DSK

Hey, that was my ride! (actually one version earlier)

Frank

Kewl! How much surf can they handle?

Once the tracks hit ground, surf is not an issue. Until then, they
more or less go with the flow.

It is a horrible experience if you are a passenger (infantry) in
swells. No possible way to avoid getting seasick if you have the
tendency. Crew can open the hatches and stick their heads out look
at the horizon and breath fresh air. Passengers cannot.

Most disconcerting time is when launching from a ship. When you go
down the ramp you are temporarily completley submerged. Top cargo
hatches generally leak. Passengers get wet and mull over the laws of
physics that govern buoyancy.

New version (pictured) may be better, they were coming in when I was
getting out.

Frank