posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Sad end of a good little boat

Scotty wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

DSK wrote:
Well, I just got a phone call earlier tonight from the

man
who bought our Hunter 19 a few years ago. The boat was

hit
by lightning this afternoon and is destroyed.

It's really a shame, a lot of miles of water (and

highway)
passed under that boat. We enjoyed it tremendously as

did he
& his family.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Too bad it was not made of steel!

yulp!

Scotty
It's better to burn out
Cause rust never sleeps
The King is gone but he's not forgotten

When that yankee punk N young talked about rust he was talking about
shooting up herion.

Neal is a chump, even thou he paid me 25K in 2001, a southern man
dont need him anyhow. He's history.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

If it had been steel, it would not have made 1/10th the cruises it did,
because it would be too heavy to trailer so easily.

Gilligan wrote:
If it were steel you could have welded wheels on to it to save weight by
eliminating the trailer.

Wheels? We don' need no steenkeeng WHEELS!
http://www.mciwest.usmc.mil/images/amphib.jpg

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Scotty wrote:
Destroyed? What's the damage report? Was it in the water
at the time? No one aboard, I presume?

Yes, in the water, nobody on board. He said it was like a
stick of dynamite went off inside the boat. The hull is
cracked open all the way around, hatches blown off, wiring
burnt to a crisp.

The mast was grounded to the centerboard pivot, I wondered
if the lightning bolt flashed the water ballast tank to
steam but he said the ballast tank appeared intact.

There will probably be pictures of it, along with the story,
in the next Boat U.S. magazine.

It's really a shame since these folk got as much out of the
boat, or more, than we did. They have two small children
both of whom have learned to sail and can skipper their
'Conchita.' They moved up to the Hunter 19 from a ComPac 16
and thought it was like an ocean liner!

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Well, I just got a phone call earlier tonight from the man
who bought our Hunter 19 a few years ago. The boat was hit
by lightning this afternoon and is destroyed.

1st of all, the Hunter 19 is not a "good little boat" by any stretch
regardless of how it was used. Doug himself said he'd probably have
kept looking had he known more about the boat shabby build. BTW, can we
also ask Doug how often he sailed a Hunter 19 before he bought one? The
only other owner I've spoken to claimed that the thing sailed like a
sponge soaked in syrup.
The Hunter 19 is a slow sailing design that is so awful to look at that
no one with any self respect would even be seen on one. A boat like the
19 is sold on it's practical aspects, which has no place in the heart
of a true sailor.

http://www.sailingtexas.com/pichunter19ca.jpg

Was there any doubt that Doug would end up a powerboater? And that is
indeed what he is now.
Too bad for the second set of suckers. If they had brains then
insurance will help.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

"Capt" Rob wrote:
1st of all, the Hunter 19 is not a "good little boat" by any stretch

Judging by how much sailing it has done, it's a better boat
than any you'v ever owned or ever will.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ps.com...

.
The Hunter 19 is a slow sailing design that is so awful to

look at that
no one with any self respect would even be seen on one.

Do you know how many 19s Hunter has sold?

http://www.sailingtexas.com/pichunter19ca.jpg

Nice looking boat!

Was there any doubt that Doug would end up a powerboater?

Doug has a trawler. He's not a 'powerboater'.

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Scotty wrote:

That's a shame. Do you know if he had insurance?

Yes, and we talked about what it would be worth to keep /
buy back from the ins co. such as the motor, equipment, etc.
It's going to be some loss no matter how he works it.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Judging by how much sailing it has done, it's a better boat
than any you'v ever owned or ever will.

Oh, so the King of Keels judges boat quality by how much it is sailed.
That makes every new boat pretty crappy.
This summer we still sailed our 35s5 an average of 3 days a week,
mostly daysails with little Thomas. Was that Hunter 19 used 3 days a
week? Maybe it was used 7 days a week. That would make it well used
junk...but still junk.
How many H19's did you sail before buying it, Doug?

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Do you know how many 19s Hunter has sold?

Do you know how many Mac26x have sold? Does that make it a good
sailboat or a cleverly marketed item to dupe the unsuspecting buyer.
Why don't you ask Doug about his comments regarding the H19 that he
would not buy if he could do it again.

Hmmmm?

RB
35s5