posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Really bad news

Last night I was singlehanding the 35s5. I meant to get home before it
got dark, but I didn't make it. About 1/2 mile north of Stepping Stone
I thought I heard someone screaming. I stood up on the cabin top with a
spotlight and saw a capsized rental boat 15 feet in front of my boat. I
was doing close to 7 knots and I couldn't turn fast enough. I hit the
14 foot boat at the stern and one of two 17 year old teens was between
the boats. This I found out later. The other teen was screaming. He was
close to the swim platform and I got him aboard. I saw his friend
floating face down about 10 yards away. I dove in after him and got my
arms around to swim back. About halfway I saw that his whole head was
crushed, stove in from the boat impact and flatted at the back. There
was blood everywhere. I panicked at the site and let him go. There's a
blank spot in my memory. The next thing I remember is that I was back
on my boat. I radioed for help and headed for my club. What I didn't
know was that my boat had been mortally wounded. By the time I got to
the breakwater she was filled up nearly a foot and the engine died. I
used the main, which was still up, to get her against the breakwater. A
police boat met me, but there wasn't time to save Heart of Gold. She's
down in about 20 feet of water. More on this later and I suppose it
will be on the news today. The rental boat was from the other side of
the Island and actually capsized when it struck an unlit boat. No one
knows what happened to that boat yet, so maybe more people are dead.

Now....what did I do wrong?

R.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Capt. Rob wrote:
[...]

Killed someone, failed to maintain a proper watch, sailed after dark,
stepped aboard, untied from the dock, bought a thin skinned french
boat, failed to stop after hearing screams, let your victim drown,
failed to wait for the sharks to show up.

Joe

R.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

So, bad planning on not getting back at the right time. Bad planning on
expecting to get back at a particular time and rushing to do so, thus
hitting another boat, as Joe said, failure to maintain a proper watch. Also,
sailing beyond your skill level, presumably. If sailing, how could you get
someone out of the water, then jump in and still be able to get back to the
boat. Something is missing, thus incomplete information before your memory
blackout. Shouldn't have jumped in. Should have moved the boat to the MOB,
snagged him, then hauled him in. If you absolutely felt you had to go into
the water, you should have done as previous stated, secured the boat, then,
get in the water with a line attached to you. Should have stayed on-site
until help arrived. Good thing to call for help, but then you need to stay
on station. Should have found the leak, and if possible used various methods
to attempt to reduce the water flow, wood plugs, sails over the side,
heeling the boat, cushions jammed into the hole, whatever, then get on the
manual bilge pump and keep at it until help arrives. Then, if all else
fails, run your boat onto a beach rather than a breakwater. Or, get a
multi-hull so you wouldn't have sunk in the first place. Of course, this is
all fiction from Bob. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

Capt. Rob wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Of course, this is all fiction from Bob. :-)

Yep... got to be one of Rob's most "extreme" trolls...

I have always enjoyed his methodology in getting things stirred up
on this forum... but this particular thread is kind of gross... IMHO.

Of course... I am assuming he is the author... (I haven't taken the
time to check the details)... and hopefully the contents are strictly
fictional... I certainly hope so..!

Bill

posted to alt.sailing.asa

It isn't. Posted from google not aol. Looks like from RR in Virginia.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
ups.com...

Of course, this is all fiction from Bob. :-)

Yep... got to be one of Rob's most "extreme" trolls...

I have always enjoyed his methodology in getting things stirred up
on this forum... but this particular thread is kind of gross... IMHO.

Of course... I am assuming he is the author... (I haven't taken the
time to check the details)... and hopefully the contents are strictly
fictional... I certainly hope so..!

Bill

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

You did the best you could do and saved a life. You probably saved your own
by letting the dead guy go. Remember you have obligations to a wife and kid.
You did the right thing.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I've found the news story in case there are any doubters.

Here's a newsclipping of the boat after Rob collided with it:

http://tinyurl.com/jopnw

posted to alt.sailing.asa

-0
"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Last night I got drunk and wrote this story.

Now....what did I do wrong?

Survived your birth .

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

You shouldn't have grabbed that guy's head and squeezed so hard, remember
you can explode coconuts with your thumbs. If you had an outboard engine on
that Beneteau it wouldn't had stalled with a foot of bilgewater. Obviously
you didn't maintain a good lookout and you failed to monitor the distress
channel on the VHF, as distress calls went out ten minutes before you killed
the guy in the water. I hope your coin collection and other goodies are held
in trust and you have an umbrella liability insurance policy as New York
lawyers will be swarming you as flies to crap. Did you try the defibrillator
the guy's head? You probably ingested some of the blood in the water and the
guy has AIDS.

Lava Lakes for You!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message ups.com...

| Last night I was singlehanding the 35s5. I meant to get home before it
| got dark, but I didn't make it. About 1/2 mile north of Stepping Stone
| I thought I heard someone screaming. I stood up on the cabin top with a
| spotlight and saw a capsized rental boat 15 feet in front of my boat. I
| was doing close to 7 knots and I couldn't turn fast enough. I hit the
| 14 foot boat at the stern and one of two 17 year old teens was between
| the boats. This I found out later. The other teen was screaming. He was
| close to the swim platform and I got him aboard. I saw his friend
| floating face down about 10 yards away. I dove in after him and got my
| arms around to swim back. About halfway I saw that his whole head was
| crushed, stove in from the boat impact and flatted at the back. There
| was blood everywhere. I panicked at the site and let him go. There's a
| blank spot in my memory. The next thing I remember is that I was back
| on my boat. I radioed for help and headed for my club. What I didn't
| know was that my boat had been mortally wounded. By the time I got to
| the breakwater she was filled up nearly a foot and the engine died. I
| used the main, which was still up, to get her against the breakwater. A
| police boat met me, but there wasn't time to save Heart of Gold. She's
| down in about 20 feet of water. More on this later and I suppose it
| will be on the news today. The rental boat was from the other side of
| the Island and actually capsized when it struck an unlit boat. No one
| knows what happened to that boat yet, so maybe more people are dead.
|
| Now....what did I do wrong?
|

| R.

If the above is a true story then I feel your pain. Sometimes **** happens.
I don't see how you can beat yourself up for not seeing a small capsized
boat in the dark. You might consider some counseling if the crushed head
thing is true. It'll be hard to not have nightmares about something like
that.

But, shame on Beneteau for not installing a crash bulkhead forward to
contain water from bow damage. Good luck.

Paladin