posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Really bad news

"Paladin" noneofyourbusiness.www wrote in message

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message

ups.com...

| Last night I was singlehanding the 35s5. I meant to get

home before it
| | knows what happened to that boat yet, so maybe more

people are dead.

| Now....what did I do wrong?
|

| R.

If the above is a true story

hoo boy !

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Last night I was singlehanding the 35s5. I meant to get home before it
got dark, but I didn't make it. About 1/2 mile north of Stepping Stone
I thought I heard someone screaming. I stood up on the cabin top with a
spotlight and saw a capsized rental boat 15 feet in front of my boat. I
was doing close to 7 knots and I couldn't turn fast enough. I hit the
14 foot boat at the stern and one of two 17 year old teens was between
the boats. This I found out later. The other teen was screaming. He was
close to the swim platform and I got him aboard. I saw his friend
floating face down about 10 yards away. I dove in after him and got my
arms around to swim back. About halfway I saw that his whole head was
crushed, stove in from the boat impact and flatted at the back. There
was blood everywhere. I panicked at the site and let him go. There's a
blank spot in my memory. The next thing I remember is that I was back
on my boat. I radioed for help and headed for my club. What I didn't
know was that my boat had been mortally wounded. By the time I got to
the breakwater she was filled up nearly a foot and the engine died. I
used the main, which was still up, to get her against the breakwater. A
police boat met me, but there wasn't time to save Heart of Gold. She's
down in about 20 feet of water. More on this later and I suppose it
will be on the news today. The rental boat was from the other side of
the Island and actually capsized when it struck an unlit boat. No one
knows what happened to that boat yet, so maybe more people are dead.

Now....what did I do wrong?

R.

You call yourself a captain and you can't answer that question?
You didn't go down with the ship!

John Cairns

posted to alt.sailing.asa

John Cairns wrote:
"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
[...]

"Proper watch my ass".. If it happed as he says, he did nothing wrong
at all. In fact, after a disaster not of his making, he saved a life.
This is easy to imagine happening on a dark night, anybody who doubts
how easy has not been out at night on his boat.
Good luck. You have my sympathy.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
ups.com...

This is easy to imagine happening, on a dark night, big

crack rock
in the bowl, fire her up and .....

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I'm sorry, but he did plenty wrong given the description. He hit another
boat, and that in and of itself, means he probably didn't do all he could to
avoid a collision.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
ups.com...

John Cairns wrote:
"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Bob is offline

Capt. Rob wrote:
Last night I was singlehanding the 35s5. I meant to get home before it
got dark, but I didn't make it. ...

Now....what did I do wrong?

I found the article. You must have been messed up to think you were on
a sailboat trying to help someone.

Police Blotter
Staff Reports

Two members of the Darien Police Department's Marine Division helped
Stamford police apprehend a man involved in a domestic violence dispute
on Saturday, Aug. 26, police said.

At around 2:55 p.m., Officers Scott MacNiven and Mark Cappelli were
patrolling Long Island Sound when they noticed Steven Winski, 45, of
Stamford, pass them in a green boat near a breakwater in Stamford,
police said. They stopped the boat and apprehended Winski, who was
wanted by Stamford police.

Winski reportedly had gotten angry with his pregnant ex-wife when she
refused to call a crack dealer for him while they were on his boat at
Czescik Marina in Stamford, police said. Winski supposedly choked the
victim with rope he kept on the boat until she passed out.

According to police, when the woman woke up, Winski choked her again,
only this time using an electrical cord. Police said the woman managed
to escape by jumping off the boat, but Winski jumped in after her and
dragged her back on board.

The woman told police she believed Winski tried to slam into her with
the boat before he jumped in.

The woman then jumped off again and hid near the marina docks until a
witness saw her and called police, prompting Winski to flee. He was
later picked up by the marine division after slamming into another
docked boat.

Winsksi faces charges of violating his probation. He was sentenced to
two years in prison in 2003 for illegally owning weapons and
threatening to kill people who had robbed him, police said. "

http://www.bobhatch.com
http://www.tdsrvresort.com