posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default A new friend...

has a Hunter 33.5. Is that a "bad boat"?

Thanks, LP

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Lady Pilot wrote:

has a Hunter 33.5. Is that a "bad boat"?

No such thing as a bad boat.

Some are better than others.

The 33.5 is the smallest of the Hunter "Legend" series of
racer-cruisers and they are roomy for their size & fast for
their roominess. How can that be bad?

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"DSK" wrote in message
Lady Pilot wrote:

has a Hunter 33.5. Is that a "bad boat"?

No such thing as a bad boat.

Not so sure about that. A few of the horrid ferro-cement abortions I've
seen during my life probably qualified.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 21:55:47 GMT, "Maxprop"
wrote:

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
Lady Pilot wrote:

has a Hunter 33.5. Is that a "bad boat"?

No such thing as a bad boat.

Not so sure about that. A few of the horrid ferro-cement abortions I've
seen during my life probably qualified.

Max

Hey now, I logged about 500 miles on a 44' custom built ferro-cement,
pilot house ketch, on a delivery crew. Wasn't so bad.

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Frank Boettcher wrote:
Hey now, I logged about 500 miles on a 44' custom built ferro-cement,
pilot house ketch, on a delivery crew. Wasn't so bad.

He didn't say that *all* ferro-cement boats were horrid
abortions. Some are great, I knew a man in Florida with a
40' pinky schooner... the only one of that type I've ever
sailed... built out of ferro-cement. A few rough spots on
the hull but it was a great boat.

After thinking it over, I would have to say that there is
such a thing as a bad boat after all... ones that never
fulfill their basic function. Of coourse, in many cases it's
not really the boats fault.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Frank Boettcher wrote:
Hey now, I logged about 500 miles on a 44' custom built ferro-cement,
pilot house ketch, on a delivery crew. Wasn't so bad.

He didn't say that *all* ferro-cement boats were horrid
abortions.

Yes, I know.

Years ago, guy in the slip next to me had a ferro-cement double ender
he built himself. He motored, less spars and rig, down the
Mississippi River from somewhere up north, with the intention of
fitting out and heading south. Had a pregnant wife and a Newfoundland
dog. Waited for the wife to deliver, then after fitting out they
headed out. I had serious doubts about the boat, particularly the
chain plate design. They made it about half way across the Gulf and
hit a storm, were dismasted, rescued by a freighter, but the boat sank
in tow.

Never saw them again, I guess they went back up north. Felt sorry for
him, I'm fairly sure you can't get those home built ferro-cement boats
insured.

But the one I helped deliver was nice with the exception of a very
serous weather helm problem.

And I guess Capn Rob is right. If you are going to own sub standard
boats, you should never get out of sight of land.

Frank

Some are great, I knew a man in Florida with a
40' pinky schooner... the only one of that type I've ever
sailed... built out of ferro-cement. A few rough spots on
the hull but it was a great boat.

After thinking it over, I would have to say that there is
such a thing as a bad boat after all... ones that never
fulfill their basic function. Of coourse, in many cases it's
not really the boats fault.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 21:55:47 GMT, "Maxprop"
wrote:

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Lady Pilot wrote:

has a Hunter 33.5. Is that a "bad boat"?

No such thing as a bad boat.

Not so sure about that. A few of the horrid ferro-cement abortions I've
seen during my life probably qualified.

Max

Hey now, I logged about 500 miles on a 44' custom built ferro-cement,
pilot house ketch, on a delivery crew. Wasn't so bad.

I wasn't impugning ferro-cement, rather just some of the "creations" that
have been fashioned from it. I saw one beautiful f-c boat a few years back,
but most have been so ugly that they had to sneak up on the ocean to get
wet.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Frank Boettcher wrote:
[...]

That may have been the story I saw in SOUNDINGS a while back. The boat
literally fell apart underway. I thought the people had bought it, however,
rather than built it. But it's been too long to remember details. At any
rate it was a "floating" death trap. The family survived, but lost
everything.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 02:59:18 GMT, "Maxprop"
wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 21:55:47 GMT, "Maxprop"
wrote:

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
Lady Pilot wrote:

has a Hunter 33.5. Is that a "bad boat"?

No such thing as a bad boat.

Not so sure about that. A few of the horrid ferro-cement abortions I've
seen during my life probably qualified.

Max

Hey now, I logged about 500 miles on a 44' custom built ferro-cement,
pilot house ketch, on a delivery crew. Wasn't so bad.

I wasn't impugning ferro-cement, rather just some of the "creations" that
have been fashioned from it. I saw one beautiful f-c boat a few years back,
but most have been so ugly that they had to sneak up on the ocean to get
wet.

Max

Don't think I would ever trust one if I wasn't present during the
molding process. A continuously wet monolithic and homogeneous mold
operation is an absolute necessity and probably rarely occurs.
However, if done right, I'm led to believe that they get stronger
every year they are in the water.

Frank

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

"DSK" wrote in message
Lady Pilot wrote:

[...]

You have more faith in f-c than I. I'd never go offshore in one, despite
knowing it was built properly and by a pro. I just don't think it's a
reasonable building material, despite what some aficionados claim.

One of the positively ugliest f-c boats was built by a retired physician
near here. He put it in the water in an inland lake (it was 44'long !!) and
finally rigged it several years later, only to have it disassemble itself
the first time he sailed it. Apparently he knew more about medicine that
f-c construction. :-)

Max

A friend of mine stopped over............. JimH Cruising 10 April 1st 06 04:07 AM
Halifax Goes Dry basskisser General 40 April 8th 05 04:39 PM
Nice boat........ [email protected] General 67 April 5th 05 09:58 PM
Near Deaths on the Lower Gauley Celia Oblinger General 47 August 20th 04 11:56 PM
Near Deaths on the Lower Gauley Celia Oblinger Whitewater 8 August 18th 04 04:43 AM