posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Any other Contest owners out there

My wife and I bought our first boat, a Contest 28, about two and a half
years ago. Since then I have yet to meet another Contest owner, so I
thought I would look here. (When I mention "Contest" most get that
confused with "Contessa")

FYI, we bought the boat from a local Sea Scout Ship. Our surveyor said
that it was one of the better donated boats that he has seen. This was
an apparent win-win-win situation for the donor, the Sea Scouts, and us.

One of our main goals was to see IF we wanted to be boat owners, and we
have answered that with a strong YES. Wife and I are on SF Bay nearly
every weekend, and sometimes mid-week as well. The "Cappy Too" also came
in second place in the D division of the Bayview Boat Club beer can
races recently completed.

Robert
posted to alt.sailing.asa

I don't think we've ever gotten boats from the Sea Scouts, but we've
certainly looked at a few of them... didn't work out for one reason or
another. Sounds like you've made the right decision. Do you get up to the
high north bay often? (I sail mostly out of Sausalito.)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Robert Larson" wrote in message
My wife and I bought our first boat, a Contest 28, about two and a half
years ago. Since then I have yet to meet another Contest owner, so I
thought I would look here. (When I mention "Contest" most get that
confused with "Contessa")

FYI, we bought the boat from a local Sea Scout Ship. Our surveyor said
that it was one of the better donated boats that he has seen. This was an
apparent win-win-win situation for the donor, the Sea Scouts, and us.

One of our main goals was to see IF we wanted to be boat owners, and we
have answered that with a strong YES. Wife and I are on SF Bay nearly
every weekend, and sometimes mid-week as well. The "Cappy Too" also came
in second place in the D division of the Bayview Boat Club beer can races
recently completed.

Robert

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:

I don't think we've ever gotten boats from the Sea Scouts, but we've
certainly looked at a few of them... didn't work out for one reason or
another. Sounds like you've made the right decision. Do you get up to the
high north bay often? (I sail mostly out of Sausalito.)

We keep the boat at Pier 39 marina and quite often sail to Angel Island,
dock, and spend the day. The last part of that day is wondering if it
will be blowing a stink on the way back home, and what the visibility
will be - lol. We purchased an annual pass for the State Park system,
and that takes care of slip costs for a year.

Seriously, we do monitor channel 14 when in the area around the shipping
lanes. While I've heard others say that they get nervous listening to
Vessel Traffic, we both find it great to know what's around us and what
will be around us soon.

Hope to see you on the water one of these days.

Robert