posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Wrong Again...and Again....

If you dumb yankees learned to use a cleat the proper way, you would
have no need for such stupity and waste.

Hey, Joe...can you explain to everyone how a traditional cleated line
will possibly outlast the system shown in my video? We've found lines
will last far, far longer this way because there's no chance of chafing
at the cleat. You also don't have a mess of line on the dock and only
one end to adjust. We have found it 100% superior and so have several
other large marinas in the area. The yard's insurance seems to agree.
Let me guess, Joe...you don't like it because it costs a few bucks
before and it never occured to you!!!!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Capt. Rob wrote:
If you dumb yankees learned to use a cleat the proper way, you would
have no need for such stupity and waste.

Hey, Joe...can you explain to everyone how a traditional cleated line
will possibly outlast the system shown in my video?

If you know how to properly tie up to a cleat you will have no
chaffing. If you know how to properly flake line on deck you will have
no mess on the dock. True my system of using a line life sailors have
used line and cleats for centurys will not last longer, but it will
last the same time, and you can use the schackle and thimbles were they
are needed. Unless you have schackle and thimbles for the end on the
boat your line will last no longer. I find Nylon cheap enough to splice
up new lines when needed.

We've found lines
will last far, far longer this way because there's no chance of chafing
at the cleat.

So you set chaffing gear in your chocks, and schackle and thimble your
fancy chrome cleats on deck huh?

You also don't have a mess of line on the dock

I find a propery flaked line very attractive and salty looking,

http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/0406839.jpg

and only
one end to adjust.

Well thats just great, but forget about your neighbors re-ajusting your
lines if needed. He would have to boad your vessel.

We have found it 100% superior and so have several
other large marinas in the area.

Must be like some sort of local insanity, same thing as natural LSD.
Are you eating moldy Rye?

The yard's insurance seems to agree.

You telling me they gave a preamium break for such stupity? Well lets
hope everyone carries sharp knives or marlin pins on the dock, so when
one of the shackled wonders catches on fire. Here we can un-tie a
burning boat with less danger.

Let me guess, Joe...you don't like it because it costs a few bucks
before and it never occured to you!!!!

Well I have seen similar in the USN moth ball fleet. But it is done to
vessels rafted together and expecting to be rafted together for
decades. Thats most likey the reason you NY's do it at the docks. The
navy uses custom swedged cables that are wormed, parcled and served,
and chaffing gear is sewn into the serving.

Tell me Rob,, just HOW and on what are your lines being chaffed so fast
that it requires shackles and thimbles?

Capt. Joe

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe,

Nutsy's Trolling.

It's a standing joke. He made up a line and shackled to a Cleat. Said
this was how his mariner required hook-ups. Then posted a picture of his
Boat and not a shackled cleat in sight.

You're giving him a chance to re-visit a failed troll He's really
enjoying your responses.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Then posted a picture of his
Boat and not a shackled cleat in sight.

Yup...here's a pic showing my boat with no shackles and thimbles.

http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/heartweb.jpg

No springlines either. You also can't see my very nice binoculars or
canvas.
I must not have 'em then!

Call 718-885-2000 if you'd like to confirm the NMYC charter rules. Ask
for Max, Stan or Kenny and they'll confirm what I've already proven.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe, I've never even seen chaffing on cleat hitch. I've seen chaffing where
the line passes across the boat from the dock, mostly because the line
wasn't in the proper place or the boat hasn't been used in a very long time.
My understanding is that a cleat hitch doesn't move (e.g., untie or tighten,
at least I've never seen any indication that it does), so how could there
possibly be chaffing action upon that part of the line?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

Capt. Rob wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWe_Lf71o1U

Do the idiots have shackles and thimbles on the boats

cleats too?

If you dumb yankees learned to use a cleat the proper way,

you would
have no need for such stupity and waste.

Uh, Joe, not all Yankees are dumb. No one uses shackles like
that, ****head set up a few for the video, that's all.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Tell me Rob,, just HOW and on what are your lines being chaffed so fast

that it requires shackles and thimbles?

Not fast, Joe, but thanks for admitting you've seen it used before. In
fact, our marina is owned by an old Navy man and he's behind us using
it. It's usage has been slowly growing because lines DO chafe, however
slowly. Using the thimble/shackle arrangement really cuts down on it
and dock lines do last longer. We have some pricey boats here who get
used every other month for cruises. You can bet those owners prefer
this system over just cleats and lines. In addition to the shackles and
thimbles EVERY boat must carry snubbers (4).
It may seem like overkill to you, but we have very very few problems
because of this setup. It doesn't cost a lot, anymore than it costs a
lot to pay for 24 hour security to protect against thieves.
Even with security, theft happens. Lost my dinghy two seasons ago to a
"rich" transient passing through on a Nordic Tug. I'm still not over
it....nothing lower than stealing a dinghy.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Capt. Rob wrote:
Tell me Rob,, just HOW and on what are your lines being chaffed so fast

that it requires shackles and thimbles?

Not fast, Joe, but thanks for admitting you've seen it used before. In
fact, our marina is owned by an old Navy man and he's behind us using
it.

Bwahahahaha,,figures, the squid has you lubbers jumping thru
hoops...priceless!

Has he assigned a person for mail bouy watch? Is he making 10 bucks a
splice?

BTW it's 106 degrees in the shade here with no wind at all, I thought
about a zen trip to the middle of the lake to have my sails flap like
butterfly wings but decided to rig tropical silk for shade on the boat.
Going to make home made ice cream now.

Joe

[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWe_Lf71o1U

Do the idiots have shackles and thimbles on the boats

cleats too?
If you dumb yankees learned to use a cleat the proper way,

you would
have no need for such stupity and waste.

Uh, Joe, not all Yankees are dumb. No one uses shackles like
that, ****head set up a few for the video, that's all.

Although I've seen that setup a few times for special situations, I've
never seen it at a marina for all boats, and I've been to a large
number of marinas, especially in the North East. Its true that it
might be a tad more secure, but I've never seen a dock line fail at
the dock cleat, its always been on the boat - usually at the toerail,
etc. When the dock end fails, its because the cleat pulls out.

The worst part of it is that I would much prefer to carry my own
docklines with me, and I have lines made up specially for handling
from the boat. If a marina provided those shackled lines, I would
probably ignore them. Certainly they are useless for approaching the
dock with a larger boat, and they would just get in the way and
perhaps damage other lines.

Perhaps rb's slip get so much wake and chop that they need a special
setup. Or maybe there are so many newbies that its assumed that they
don't know how to hitch a cleat. Or maybe something about the
dockominium regs means that management is responsible for one end of
the line, so they prefer to make it idiot proof.