posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Wrong Again...and Again....

Although I've seen that setup a few times for special situations, I've
never seen it at a marina for all boats, and I've been to a large
number of marinas, especially in the North East. Its true that it
might be a tad more secure, but I've never seen a dock line fail at
the dock cleat, its always been on the boat - usually at the toerail,
etc. When the dock end fails, its because the cleat pulls out.

The worst part of it is that I would much prefer to carry my own
docklines with me, and I have lines made up specially for handling
from the boat. If a marina provided those shackled lines, I would
probably ignore them. Certainly they are useless for approaching the
dock with a larger boat, and they would just get in the way and
perhaps damage other lines.

Perhaps rb's slip get so much wake and chop that they need a special
setup. Or maybe there are so many newbies that its assumed that they
don't know how to hitch a cleat. Or maybe something about the
dockominium regs means that management is responsible for one end of
the line, so they prefer to make it idiot proof.

Jeff, you're correct on many counts. We all carry our own lines. But
the system used at NMYC is a "tad" more secure in addition. I can't see
what's wrong with that. Right now I'm using 4 of those lines with
subbers, plus the 4 springs. When I'm going to be away I can trust the
setup beyond just lines alone. Chaffing does happen and I have seen
lines go at either end. You're right that it's usually at the boat end.
As far as it being idiot proof, we have a lot of slips. Do you know
that every person in a marina can tie up properly? Do you want Scotty's
POS Sadlittleman 30 crashing into your nice Cat? I'm grateful for such
rules here.
As I said, Joe can find nothing wrong with the setup and it's also
neater and a "tad" safer, protecting us from the Scotty's of the world
who are probably using line from Home Depot.

RB
35s5
NY

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Jeff" wrote .

[...]

Or perhaps rb's a liar.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
Scotty wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWe_Lf71o1U
Do the idiots have shackles and thimbles on the boats

cleats too?
If you dumb yankees learned to use a cleat the proper way,

you would
have no need for such stupity and waste.

Uh, Joe, not all Yankees are dumb. No one uses shackles like
that, ****head set up a few for the video, that's all.

[...]

Occam's Razor: The boats are semi-permanately attached to the dock.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

****head set up a few for the video, that's all.

Yeah...I had them made up. Then I let them sit out on the breakwater
for a year so they'd get the right color and staining on the line. Then
I baked them at 410 degrees in my Chambers oven for 20 minutes so
they'd stiffen. Next part was easy, just get up early and re-tie the
boats on K dock at my marina. Shot the video using my Casio camera and
a pair of Inkie movie lights held by two PA's I hired for the shoot.
Then edited using my friends avid system to do the VO tracks and adjust
color so it wouldn't like 6 am. Process, compress and post...all done!

Yep, that video does prove it...Scotty is not just an idiot. He's a
raging idiot.

RB
35s5
NY