posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default The Better Helm

The one thing everyone keeps mentioning is the helm of the 35s5. Her
Whitlock Cobra rack and pinion steering is so precise it's uincanny.
Coming off of so many cable steered boats, the Whitlock and the giant
destroyer wheel is a revelation. Feedback is there, but more subtle in
some ways as the helm never loads up. On a broad reach a couple of
centemeters equals an instant response...fantastic.
I know this type of system is expensive, but EVERY wheel steered boat
should be set up like this. Cable steering is sloppy by comparison. And
finally...BIG WHEELS RULE! The helmsman can sit high high on the
highside and the wheel is right there! And there's still plenty of
level sidedeck when heeled to get around the wheel when you need to.

**** 1/2 for the 35s5 Helm!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Capt. Rob wrote:
The one thing everyone keeps mentioning is the helm of the 35s5. Her
Whitlock Cobra rack and pinion steering is so precise it's uincanny.
Coming off of so many cable steered boats, the Whitlock and the giant
destroyer wheel is a revelation. Feedback is there, but more subtle in
some ways as the helm never loads up. On a broad reach a couple of
centemeters equals an instant response...fantastic.
I know this type of system is expensive, but EVERY wheel steered boat
should be set up like this. Cable steering is sloppy by comparison. And
finally...BIG WHEELS RULE! The helmsman can sit high high on the
highside and the wheel is right there! And there's still plenty of
level sidedeck when heeled to get around the wheel when you need to.

**** 1/2 for the 35s5 Helm!

Yeah, I give RedClouds shaft driven rack and pinion steering a 5 star
rating myself. If you ever need a autopilot make sure to go with the
CPT wheel pilot. You may want to consider making a sail pack with lazy
jacks buildt into them. Both items will make it easier for you to
single handle your boat.

Joe

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Yeah, I give RedClouds shaft driven rack and pinion steering a 5 star
rating myself. If you ever need a autopilot make sure to go with the
CPT wheel pilot. You may want to consider making a sail pack with lazy
jacks buildt into them. Both items will make it easier for you to
single handle your boat.

Joe

Based on some reviews the CPT looks like a really good autopilot but in
light of this article I'd want to be sure that service is still
available for it first:
http://www.mslinn.com/sites/mike/sai...k_ca/hi_bc.jsp

--Alan Gomes

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Alan Gomes wrote:

Yeah, I give RedClouds shaft driven rack and pinion steering a 5 star
rating myself. If you ever need a autopilot make sure to go with the
CPT wheel pilot. You may want to consider making a sail pack with lazy
jacks buildt into them. Both items will make it easier for you to
single handle your boat.

Joe

Based on some reviews the CPT looks like a really good autopilot but in
light of this article I'd want to be sure that service is still
available for it first:
http://www.mslinn.com/sites/mike/sai...k_ca/hi_bc.jsp

--Alan Gomes

Good Lord Alan, the guy who wrote the article had to be rescued by
Gaz's engineer on the HMS Oriole ......because he was to FN stupid to
change a fuel filter. The guys a dip****.

The CPT is buildt like a tank, I've never had a problem yet with over
2K miles and in some big weather.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
Alan Gomes wrote:
[...]

The only concern I was raising is whether the unit it still being
supported or even sold anymore. His web page is dated "fall 2005." Do
you know if some other company purchased the rights to sell the unit and
plans to support it?

--Alan
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Alan Gomes wrote:
Joe wrote:
Alan Gomes wrote:
[...]

No I don't Alan, Infact I did not even know they were sold to
Scanmar,the Monitor people.

I just called them and they said they quit mfg the CPT 2 yrs ago,
supported warrenty for 1 year then stopped all together. They said they
could not make enough profit to keep going. I ordered a couple of sheer
pins to have as spares. All they have left are a few more pins and some
belts.

That kinda sucks, thanks for the heads up. I do have a couple spare
belts and a motor I picked up at a boaters flea market a couple years
ago. Again, I've never had a problem, I bought mine in 1999. Knock on
wood that it keeps on going strong.

Joe

--Alan

posted to alt.sailing.asa

JoeJoe wrote:
Alan Gomes wrote:
Joe wrote:
Alan Gomes wrote:
[...]

You may be able to find replacement belts from Belt Corporation of
America, 1-800-235-0947.

--AG

Aligning teleflex safety QC helm [email protected] General 0 August 11th 05 03:51 PM
Help with Teleflex Safe-t qc helm and cable installation [email protected] General 0 August 7th 05 07:59 PM
Guests at the Helm JimH General 4 March 28th 05 03:10 PM
LAN network on dual helm trawler peter Electronics 7 September 27th 04 07:00 AM
Replacement Helm Chair ? noah General 1 July 23rd 03 04:45 AM