posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default Capt. RB Buys a Kia

One or two published sources don't constitute the gospel about
anything.

One or two? Max, I thought you were into cars? All sources cite the
Sienna AWD as king of the minivans. The Honda also has the # 1 or 2
spot depending on your needs. Until the Sedona was released nothing
else was even close. EVERY review now lists the Sedona as a top pick as
well....but not ANY others. Please go look at a Nissan Quest and get
back to me!

Did you drive the Toyota and the Honda before you bought the Kia?
Of course
not.

I drove a Sienna for 2 months last year. It was the FWD version and
it's the best minivan made, period. As for the Honda, we test drove it
last week. The reason we didn't buy the Honda is a HUGE number of
problems reported. Read the forums.

The Toyota Highlander 4wd is the best hybrid available today.

We have the van because it's a true seven seater. Please try the back
seats on the Highlander and get back to me!

Too expensive
for ya?

Yeah, that must be it! I knew I shouldn't have paid cash for the boat.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Joe

He's got a fine son. And you?

I'm sure Joe has kids. Any real man is capable of having a
family....just ask Mooron.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

Default Capt. PUTZ Buys a Kia

And this gem;

"Gilligan's Island, CHIPS, Pet Rocks, Dr. Pepper, Jerry
Springer, Kia and Paris
Hilton are all big sellers too.
Me thinks it's the same group of "buyers" for the Mac.

RB

"

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

This was clever;

"Kia dealers can rejoice that people like Donal are becoming
more and more
common.

RB

''

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

A classic put down;

'' Members in your club drive Yugo's and Kia's as well! ''

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

"Kia dealers can rejoice that people like Donal are becoming
more and more
common.

Donal, who passed away recently BTW (skin cancer), was a nice fellow
who sailed a fun fast Beneteau. I'd rather avoid using his name in
posts or trolls, as Scotty does since he's not able to contribute any
longer.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Thom Stewart

It seems to me, I remember both CR & Motor tend giving good reports over
the years to Edsels, Henry J's, Hudson Hornets, AM Motors, Studerbakers.
Where are they now? Ah Yes I forgot to mention the wonderful De Soto!

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

It seems to me, I remember both CR & Motor tend giving good reports

Car Magazines are a joke and always have been. Consumer Reports is
probably the most laughable when it comes to cars and electronics. But
web based reviewers and forums are allowing for a LOT more research
tools for just about anything. With enough owners reporting in, you can
get an idea about how good a product is. I've found this a very
effective buying tool. That and the fact that my yard owns a repair
center for cars also gives me a good idea of what's substandard. You
just can't dismiss any of these car companies any more. They are all
better than the big three and eating them alive.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Thom Stewart wrote:

It seems to me, I remember both CR & Motor tend giving good reports over
the years to Edsels, Henry J's, Hudson Hornets, AM Motors, Studerbakers.
Where are they now? Ah Yes I forgot to mention the wonderful De Soto!

Studebakers were (still are) great cars. I have a friend who
has owned an Avanti for decades.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank

I hafta give Nutsy credit; he really does drive this ng. We (Yes, I'm
obviously guilty, too.) are responding to a thread about his Kia
minivan!

Oy vey!

In the interest of full disclosure, I love minivans. I've been a
minivan guy since the 60's when I bought a VW microbus. [Side note: The
paperwork on that sucker labelled it a "station wagon." Interesting.] I
kept that as my utility vehicle into the 90s. Over its long lifespan,
it carried me and all my belongings from New Orleans to Seattle. Made
many long distance camping trips. Carried several of the 1984 Ultima
Thule Everest expedition members up into the mountains for practice
climbs. Numberless ski trips. (Yeah, that pathetic heater made those
kinda chilly!) Hauled tons of crap back and forth from the house to the
boat in an endless procession of trips. Etc.

In '96 we sent Ol' Paint to that big VW graveyard in the sky and bought
a pickup. (RIP, big fella!) Pickups are great vehicles. Really useful.
But they ain't microbuses, err, I mean, minivans. So in 2000, we sold
the pickup and bought a Honda Odyssey. It's the VW bus of the third
millennium. I love it. We've just turned 100K miles and it's ready for
its first tuneup. It's on its third set of tires and is ready for a
second brake job. Aside from that, we had to have 'em degunk one of
those emission control valves recently; but that's it. Half those 100K
miles were spent towing; so we haven't exactly been gentle with it.
Minivans rule! But Kia... ?

Welcome to the world of minivans, Rob! You *are* now officially a
soccer parent. Even if you do get Xzibit to pimp that ride, it's still
a minivan.

Frank