posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Default A star to steer by!

Many have never seen a dark sky......... Thats criminal.

The map says I'm not going to see many stars until I get offshore 5-10
miles min around here.

Running the Gulf it often becomes easy to navigate by cities glowing
over the horizion.
Freeport has an orange glow, Galveston white, Sargent yellow dimish,
from 30 +miles out

Check out this cool map here to see how dark your skies a

http://www.darksky.org/darksky/darksky_map.html

Click on the map in your area for a full free report

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

I thought it was amazing that at about 180 miles off Los Angeles I could see
the LA light dome out that far... something glowing in the distance. Cool
map! Thanks!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Many have never seen a dark sky......... Thats criminal.

The map says I'm not going to see many stars until I get offshore 5-10
miles min around here.

Running the Gulf it often becomes easy to navigate by cities glowing
over the horizion.
Freeport has an orange glow, Galveston white, Sargent yellow dimish,
from 30 +miles out

Check out this cool map here to see how dark your skies a

http://www.darksky.org/darksky/darksky_map.html

Click on the map in your area for a full free report

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Martin Baxter

Joe wrote:

Many have never seen a dark sky......... Thats criminal.

The map says I'm not going to see many stars until I get offshore 5-10
miles min around here.

Running the Gulf it often becomes easy to navigate by cities glowing
over the horizion.
Freeport has an orange glow, Galveston white, Sargent yellow dimish,
from 30 +miles out

Check out this cool map here to see how dark your skies a

http://www.darksky.org/darksky/darksky_map.html

Thanks Joe, I'm fortunate, limiting magnitude is 6.7 where I am, does't
get too much better anywhere else.

Cheers
Marty
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------
For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption
upgrade to SurgeFTP
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgeftp.htm ----

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Thats pretty deep sea John. Must have been a very clear night.

Why were you 180 mi off LA? Coming from Hawaii?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank Boettcher

On 2 Mar 2006 19:57:28 -0800, "Joe" wrote:

Many have never seen a dark sky......... Thats criminal.

The map says I'm not going to see many stars until I get offshore 5-10
miles min around here.

Running the Gulf it often becomes easy to navigate by cities glowing
over the horizion.
Freeport has an orange glow, Galveston white, Sargent yellow dimish,
from 30 +miles out

Check out this cool map here to see how dark your skies a

http://www.darksky.org/darksky/darksky_map.html

Click on the map in your area for a full free report

Joe

The glow in my sailing area ain't what it used to be.

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

It was very clear. We were just coming down the coast from SF to Mexico. I
had never been out that far before, so it was just a lark really. I wouldn't
so much say that it was a dome of light, more like a glow that was obvious.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thats pretty deep sea John. Must have been a very clear night.

Why were you 180 mi off LA? Coming from Hawaii?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Edgar

You have to be careful of navigating towards a 'glow' even if you are sure
what it is. Sometimes there is a headland between your position and the
source of the glow.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
It was very clear. We were just coming down the coast from SF to Mexico. I
had never been out that far before, so it was just a lark really. I

wouldn't
so much say that it was a dome of light, more like a glow that was

obvious.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thats pretty deep sea John. Must have been a very clear night.

Why were you 180 mi off LA? Coming from Hawaii?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

This reminds me of a guy Phil I had standing watch for
me that kept steering us around in circles. We were
20-30 miles off the coast of New Jersey and the loom
from Atlantic City was noticeable--that was all we
could see in overcast conditions at night. It actually
made steering pretty easy. I would just keep the
loom off my port side.

Of course my compass light had failed, so I was
partly to blame. I'd just fixed it, but it didn't hold up
to the conditions. I've since replaced it with a pair
of soldered LED's, shrink wrap and tape. So far so
good. Without a compass Phil could not steer!

I explained about the loom several times to Phil and
pointed to it. He still could not seem to see it. Finally,
I sent him below to get warm , locked the helm, as we
were close hauled and enjoyed the remainder of the
watch by myself tidying up the deck.

I quickly found out Phil's experience was very limited.
You know how men exaggerate their experience. The
most obvious factor was revealed when he didn't know
how to lock the Edson helm. He'd only seen the newer
Edson locks on the hub of the axis of the wheel, and was
totally unfamiliar with the side mounted brake which was
so prevalent on most boats. In the dark he was trying to
tighten the hub! I still laugh when I think about him
trying to muscle that thing which requires a wrench to
remove!

It turned out Phil bought a brand new Sabre. His big boat
experience was a weekend or two shaking it down on the
Chesapeake. He had only started sailing a few years
before, and had never been on the open ocean at all.

Despite this, I liked Phil, and I wish I could have sailed with
him more.

Before going below, we had a few nice conversations.
One thing he said to me that I relate to many folks is this,
He said, "I just wish I started {sailing) sooner." A week
later, while sailing on the Chesapeake he let out a yelp
and dropped dead. He had a heart condition that was
more serious than he let on. Let this be a warning to all
not to wait too long. It is better to buy a cheap boat and
sail now, than to wait for a nicer one and try sail too late.

"Edgar" wrote
You have to be careful of navigating towards a 'glow' even if you are sure
what it is. Sometimes there is a headland between your position and the
source of the glow.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

No ****? Really? :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
It was very clear. We were just coming down the coast from SF to Mexico.
had never been out that far before, so it was just a lark really. I

wouldn't
so much say that it was a dome of light, more like a glow that was

obvious.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com