posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Southern vs northern boats

A friend who was boat shopping once remarked that boats in FL looked
older than their counterparts in the north. I ascribed this to the
effects of sunlight and more use over a year. Did Rob notice this?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
John Cairns

wrote in message
oups.com...
A friend who was boat shopping once remarked that boats in FL looked
older than their counterparts in the north. I ascribed this to the
effects of sunlight and more use over a year. Did Rob notice this?

I'd say more UV than anything else. He could also be comparing salt vs.
fresh water boats.

John Cairns

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

"John Cairns" wrote in message
I'd say more UV than anything else. He could also be comparing salt vs.
fresh water boats.

Could also be short seasonal immersion and extended seasonal availability
for maintenance.... but more likely it's the fact that Northerners are
simply better sailors and own superior vessels.

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Sailing in the north requires seasonal work. It keeps
the sailor in tune with boat maintenance.

Down south it is easy to let a boat go. Even northern
sailors tend to move their boats south to cut down on
the annual maintenance.

The net result is that many, not all, southern boats fall into
disuse and suffer from lack of maintenance. It is the boat
graveyard.

A similar things happens with beer. Excess beer gets shipped
south.

wrote
A friend who was boat shopping once remarked that boats in FL looked
older than their counterparts in the north. I ascribed this to the
effects of sunlight and more use over a year. Did Rob notice this?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

What a load of bull Bart. Southern boats are used and maintained year
around while northern boats develope hull humps from sitting in a
cradle half the time. All that moisture trapped in the shrink wraps and
plastic hulls freezes and un freezes so many times they all develope
osmosis blisters.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

I think there is too much inbreding in the South. With the recent
(relatively) influx of Northerners, the South's gene pool will improve.
There's also lots of inbreding in the regions around Caribou, Maine.

Californians take great care of their boats, especially in Southern
Kaulifornia. Kaulifornia does not have an inbred gene pool.

Amen!

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
What a load of bull Bart. Southern boats are used and maintained year
around while northern boats develope hull humps from sitting in a
cradle half the time. All that moisture trapped in the shrink wraps and
plastic hulls freezes and un freezes so many times they all develope
osmosis blisters.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

I believe the reason for the gene pool stasis in California... is because
the state is over-run with homosexuals.

Amen

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
nk.net...
I think there is too much inbreding in the South. With the recent
(relatively) influx of Northerners, the South's gene pool will improve.
There's also lots of inbreding in the regions around Caribou, Maine.

Californians take great care of their boats, especially in Southern
Kaulifornia. Kaulifornia does not have an inbred gene pool.

Amen!

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
What a load of bull Bart. Southern boats are used and maintained year
around while northern boats develope hull humps from sitting in a
cradle half the time. All that moisture trapped in the shrink wraps and
plastic hulls freezes and un freezes so many times they all develope
osmosis blisters.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

The world turns East!

Hence, all the loose Nuts roll West
and end up in California.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

Joe, not every Yankee pulls his boat for the winter. And it's not
6 months. More like 3-4 months.

isn't it good for a hull to 'dry out' once in a while?

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
What a load of bull Bart. Southern boats are used and

maintained year
around while northern boats develope hull humps from sitting in

cradle half the time. All that moisture trapped in the shrink

wraps and
plastic hulls freezes and un freezes so many times they all

develope
osmosis blisters.

Joe

rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 December 19th 05 05:37 AM
Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
Fiberglass loss of strength Mic Cruising 1 October 15th 05 08:03 PM