posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Rigging inspection service

If I could develop a fast and better way to detect cracks in rigging
while it is on the boat, would this service be useful enough to warrant
a person specializing in it?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Still no answer to my query on which Beneteau First Series you
inspected?

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Read my post to you in rod rigging.

You can find the cracks optically too.

Amen!

wrote in message
oups.com...
If I could develop a fast and better way to detect cracks in rigging
while it is on the boat, would this service be useful enough to warrant
a person specializing in it?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Rob:

I have no idea as I pay no more attention to them than to old Irwins or
old Ventures. It just looked lightly built with light guage aluminum
toerails that looked to be fastened with undersized rivets.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

I have no idea as I pay no more attention to them than to old Irwins or

old Ventures. It just looked lightly built with light guage aluminum
toerails that looked to be fastened with undersized rivets.

Well, now we can all know you're full of it. You noticed the rivets,
but not the BOAT? Oh, okay. How did you judge the rivent size...by the
heads? Did you pull one out to see it's diameter? Did you know that the
first series 35s5 has the toe rail fastened through the hull joint and
backed with SS fittings? Other builders simply bed the toe rail
(Typicall) through a cored deck with backing plates...which is weaker
and prone to leaks. Beneteau's method means fewer holes in the deck
(less leaks) and a stronger toe rail.

I'm really interested to hear your measured and studied response to the
above!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

And of course you saw no rivets that were undersized....the Beneteau
first series 35s5 doesn't use rivets.
Next!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Sure looked like rivets to me, aluminum ones at that. Being an
engineer/physics person, construction details interest me, boat length
means little to me as I already have a boat although I might build a
smaller one.
Its possible the rivets were SS but they sure looked to have the same
finish as the toe rail. The toe rail was definitely light guage.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Martin Baxter

"Capt. Rob" wrote:

And of course you saw no rivets that were undersized....the Beneteau
first series 35s5 doesn't use rivets.\

That's what I thought, they use SS screws and nuts with washers do they
not? However I seem to recall earlier Bennies with rivits.

Cheers
Marty
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

That's what I thought, they use SS screws and nuts with washers do they

not? However I seem to recall earlier Bennies with rivits.

Anything's possible, but every first series I've seen had SS screws and
that's going back to the early First 38's. This fellow claimed he saw a
first series, then claimed it had undersized rivets after saying he
didn't know which boat he was actually on. All had toe rails that
looked identical to any others I'd had on my C&C. He claims to be an
engineer person, yet he was able to judge the rivets as undersized with
only seeing the tops and doesn't even know what they were made of,
except that they were finished to match the rail.
Yeah...some engineer type. Keep him away from my boat. I wonder what
kind of boat he'll claim to own.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Rob:

I own an olod 28' S2

standing rigging prodigal1 Cruising 33 January 5th 06 10:10 PM
Rod Rigging - Hype? Bob Crantz ASA 29 January 5th 06 03:16 PM
Navico Tiller Pilot..needs service Jerry W Electronics 1 November 28th 05 05:38 AM