Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default 35s5 hated by owners!!!

What we like least about our boat-From 35s5 Forum list!

"Forward cabin doorway behind table.
electrical wiring layout and lack of planning."

"Some minor things seem to have been done "on-the-cheap"

"Inside cuboard hatches can slide open at sea on longe voyages in rough
weahter. We stop this by putting timber rods in the door tracks."

"aft cabin, head room poor."

"We also attempted to reattach vinyl on the interior of the hull sides
in the forward cabin of our 35s5. 3mm foam was used beneath the foam
and it was this foam which broke down (?:uv damage) leading to the
falling off of vinyl. We removed all vinyl remnants and glued new 3mm
foam to the back of the vinyl before gluing the whole lot back on the
hull. We used an expensive 3M contact adhesive normally used to glue
Laminex/Formica to wood. It worked very well and has been insitu for 6
months. I dont know how long it will last."

"In some conditions, stern section slaps."

"Small freezer space."

"cockpit locker lid hinges always breaking. Really annoying!"

"The metal used for keel bolt washers in my 1991 First 35s5, seemed to
be of questionable quality. Rusted pieces were flaking away. This year
during my haulout I replaced them with 3/8" plates made of 316
Stainless Steel. The plates are 3"x6" rectangles that were made up a
local machine shop. They should last for years, and also distribute the
loads of the keel much better than the standard round washers installed
Beneteau. I am once again surprised that poor quality materials were
used in a vitally important area. Have a look at yours and think about
replacing them if they are rusted and flaking."

"Headliners in V-berth and aft-berth are a problem."

"Wheel too far aft for my size 13 shoes. Workable under sail, but I'd
love the boat more if not for this."

"Ports VERY pricey to replace, though tougher than on competing makes."

"Very tricky dead downwind, and not a forgiving boat to race. It took
us a whole year of racing before we started to take some wins."

"Volvo engine parts are so expensive we are thinking of just
repowering."

Once again....I have to do ALL of the work in this group. Bob and Joe
couldn't find this stuff? Golly!

RB
35s5
NY

35s5 vs Express 30 Capt. Rob ASA 34 December 13th 05 02:59 PM
Subaru Tribeca = Boulevard Car! Bob Crantz ASA 50 December 6th 05 03:11 PM
35s5 vs. Express 30 Capt. Rob ASA 0 December 5th 05 11:44 AM
35s5 Continued.... Capt. Rob ASA 0 November 15th 05 11:31 PM
35s5 overall.... Capt. Rob ASA 0 November 15th 05 03:48 PM