posted to alt.sailing.asa
just me

Default parachutes and drogues

How many here, have one or both of these and have used them?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

I have a parachite type sea anchor. Never needed to
use it.

"just me" wrote
How many here, have one or both of these and have used them?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

I have a 15' drouge / sea anchor.

I've used it in fair weather to drift fish, never in a storm yet.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
just me wrote:

How many here, have one or both of these and have used them?

Practiced using a drogue, never in conditions that would truly warrant
it. Never used nor practiced using a para.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Similar to you. I used a drogue once. We simulated it's
effect by sailing closer to a beam reach instead of downwind.

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote

just me wrote:

How many here, have one or both of these and have used them?

Practiced using a drogue, never in conditions that would truly warrant
it. Never used nor practiced using a para.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

Used both...have the drogue. Have never had to utilize them for their
intended purpose..... just practise deploy and retrieve in various
conditions.

Like them both....they both do well but require systems and methods in place
for both set and removal. The parachute anchor especially is difficult to
trip in rough conditions. Drogue is simply winched in.

Scope for your particular vessel is an important factor..... you need to
derive optimum length in practise exercises. Dangerous if you do not
practise and deploy only in an emergency, first time situation.

CM

"just me" wrote in message

How many here, have one or both of these and have used them?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"just me" wrote in message

How many here, have one or both of these and have used them?

I fashioned a drogue from an old pilot chute from my skydiving days for use
when trolling for salmon with the sailboat. For some reason I can't keep
the engine running at the proper speed to troll at 3mph, but with the pilot
chute about 40' behind the boat I can advance the throttle a bit and get a
consistent 2.5 to 3mph, which is about right for Dipsy Divers.

In heavy weather and tall seas I've trailed warps.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz

In article et,
Maxprop wrote:

"just me" wrote in message

How many here, have one or both of these and have used them?

I fashioned a drogue from an old pilot chute from my skydiving days for use
when trolling for salmon with the sailboat. For some reason I can't keep
the engine running at the proper speed to troll at 3mph, but with the pilot
chute about 40' behind the boat I can advance the throttle a bit and get a
consistent 2.5 to 3mph, which is about right for Dipsy Divers.

In heavy weather and tall seas I've trailed warps.

I wonder if there's some data on the relative effectiveness of warps
vs. drogues.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com