posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Default Whats the name of the sail

Between the main and mizzen mast?
http://www.tallshipstacoma.com/images/ships/oriole.jpg

Thanks
Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

jigger sail

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Between the main and mizzen mast?
http://www.tallshipstacoma.com/images/ships/oriole.jpg

Thanks
Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jeff

No, the jigger is the mizzen, as in sailing "Jib and Jigger."

I've usually heard the sail between the main and mizzen called a
stays'l, but I suppose it depends on how its rigged.

Bob Crantz wrote:
jigger sail

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Between the main and mizzen mast?
http://www.tallshipstacoma.com/images/ships/oriole.jpg

Thanks
Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
rgnmstr

Is that a Baltimore Oriole on the chute?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Between the main and mizzen mast?
http://www.tallshipstacoma.com/images/ships/oriole.jpg

Thanks
Joe

It's a mizzen staysail, Joe. Had one on our previous boat, a ketch. For
what it's worth, the yawl was a rig concept in which the mizzen had
virtually no value beyond the ability to carry a mizzen staysail, generally
the huge balloony ones, almost like an asymmetrical spinnaker. A yawl's
mizzen was too small to be of much value beyond balancing the helm a little.
(This is from a book by Donald Long.)

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Gary

Joe wrote:
Between the main and mizzen mast?
http://www.tallshipstacoma.com/images/ships/oriole.jpg

Thanks
Joe

The small stripped sail between the mizzen and main is the mizzen
staysail. It's kind of an assymetric for the mizzen. The tack normally
goes inboard of the main as far windward as possible. The clew sheets to
the end of the mizzen boom. It is only useful between 90 and 135
degrees off the wind. It has to be dropped for each tack or gybe.

In this picture it is hoisted wrong.

Gaz
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Gary

Jeff wrote:
No, the jigger is the mizzen, as in sailing "Jib and Jigger."

I've usually heard the sail between the main and mizzen called a
stays'l, but I suppose it depends on how its rigged.

Bob Crantz wrote:

jigger sail

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

Between the main and mizzen mast?
http://www.tallshipstacoma.com/images/ships/oriole.jpg

Thanks
Joe

Yes we call it a stays'l. We also sail jib and jigger but never refer
to the mizzen as the jigger.
On Oriole we have luff tackles at the bitter end of every halyard. They
are called jiggers. The halyards are rigged with a 4:1 purchase and the
luff tackles (called jiggers) give us another 4:1 purchase on the other
end of the halyard. When we raise a sail we get it up the last little
bit and tighten the luff with the jiggers that give us 16:1 purchase on
the head of the sail.

There are no winches on Oriole. Everything is rigged luff on luff as
jiggers.
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Gary

rgnmstr wrote:
Is that a Baltimore Oriole on the chute?

I don't know. It is an Oriole.
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Normally that would be a Mizzen Staysail.
A white sail.

There might be a different name for a light
weight nylon staysail.

Jigger is another word for mizzen.

"Bob Crantz" wrote

jigger sail

"Joe" wrote
Between the main and mizzen mast?
http://www.tallshipstacoma.com/images/ships/oriole.jpg

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Gary wrote:
The small stripped sail between the mizzen and main is the mizzen
staysail. It's kind of an assymetric for the mizzen. The tack normally
goes inboard of the main as far windward as possible. The clew sheets to
the end of the mizzen boom. It is only useful between 90 and 135
degrees off the wind. It has to be dropped for each tack or gybe.

In this picture it is hoisted wrong.

I wondered about that from the dimensions of the foot &
leach, plus the stripes on sails usually go the other way!

BTW there are mizzen staysails that can be used upwind, they
generally sheet to the centerline or close to it. Mari-Cha
IV uses one.

I was taught that a mizzen ballooner sheeted to the mizzen
boom was a "Dutchman's britches"... we had several of these
type sails on a Navy-owned ketch at NTC Great Lakes, but
none of them set properly no matter where we sheeted them. I
suspect they were made for a different boat.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

For People Who Like To Sail Capt. Rob ASA 16 November 29th 05 01:31 PM
Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
Sailing Boom Brake - Vangs - Sail shapes +more links Mic Cruising 0 November 6th 05 03:32 PM
Halloween Sail Scotty ASA 2 November 1st 05 10:51 PM