posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Default Seamanship Question #26

You are planning to purchase a new mainsail.

Aside from cut and materials, what other design
factors should you talk about with your sailmaker?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Bart Senior wrote:
You are planning to purchase a new mainsail.

Aside from cut and materials, what other design
factors should you talk about with your sailmaker?

Roach
Head angle (partly determined by roach)
Luff curve
Point of camber in broadseaming
upper draft/lower draft
Battens
Reef points
Boom stive

I'm not going to put 'loose-footed' on the list because IMHO
it's not an issue... if you have a one-design and the sail
must have the foot run in a track, then that's that. Other
than that, there's no reason to not get a loose-footed sail.

I don't think the above list is everything... I could go dig
up my spec sheet for the last set of sails I ordered, but I
just got home from a long drive, my wife is bringing me a
piece of sweet potato pie, and I have some stuff to look up
& organize for tomorrow.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Gary

Bart Senior wrote:
You are planning to purchase a new mainsail.

Aside from cut and materials, what other design
factors should you talk about with your sailmaker?

I'd be asking questions about loose/shelf foot. Reefing points, chafing
patches, headboard, battens (location, length), cars, roach, leech line
location, cunningham cringle, flattening reef, and finally, after
delivery service.
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Cost.

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message ...
You are planning to purchase a new mainsail.

Aside from cut and materials, what other design
factors should you talk about with your sailmaker?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Ok... well, I guess that isn't technically a design feature, but it sure is
a feature and something you better ask.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Cost.

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message ...
You are planning to purchase a new mainsail.

Aside from cut and materials, what other design
factors should you talk about with your sailmaker?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

"Bart Senior" wrote
You are planning to purchase a new mainsail.

Aside from cut and materials, what other design
factors should you talk about with your sailmaker?

"Capt. JG" wrote...
Cost.

Capt. JG wrote:
Ok... well, I guess that isn't technically a design feature, but it sure is
a feature and something you better ask.

Agreed. In fact it would be a good idea to get bids on the
sail from 3 or 4 sailmakers, and go over your list of
features with the one you pick to get an idea of how much
each is going to cost you.

But then, it's kind of old fashioned to care about how much
stuff "costs," isn't it?

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"Commode Joe " wrote ...
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:37:43 -0800, "Capt. JG"

wrote:

Ok... well, I guess that isn't technically a design feature,

but it sure is
a feature and something you better ask.

Cost is often the over-riding "design" feature.

For trailer trash like you.

SV

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
"Bart Senior" wrote

Capt. JG wrote:
Ok... well, I guess that isn't technically a design feature, but it sure
is a feature and something you better ask.

Agreed. In fact it would be a good idea to get bids on the sail from 3 or
4 sailmakers, and go over your list of features with the one you pick to
get an idea of how much each is going to cost you.

But then, it's kind of old fashioned to care about how much stuff "costs,"
isn't it?

DSK

Yikes! You're right. Wrong newsgroup....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

What is this?

"DSK" wrote

Boom stive

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Good points.

One thing I'd like to have on a new main would be a
way to get the sail down farther when it was flaked.

I hate pile ups in the track.