posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default "Oh god, I'm glad to see you. I'm alive!"

No Bob you didn't... you quoted book learned data and have no
experience in
such matters. Your opinion is worthless. You offered no suggestions
since
you can't envision such conditions and thusly have nothing to provide.

Hey, that's funny!

You then proceeded to give the same answer I gave, also repeated by
Doug! Good work! Gee, da ya really tink he wasn't edy for da bad
waves???

Bwahahahahahahaha!

RB
35s5...a boat better in every way than a Nordic 30.
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message

You then proceeded to give the same answer I gave, also repeated by
Doug! Good work! Gee, da ya really tink he wasn't edy for da bad
waves???

Now don't get your socks in a knot... I was merely confirming that your
input was inconsequential to either truth, experience or fact. The
outlandish claim that you posted the obvious in no way justifies your
competence.

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Capt.Mooron wrote:
Again... it seems like the vessel was ill prepared to provide for it's
crew. Warmth and nourishment to maintain the body are a real requirement
in a heavy sea.

Exactly. And alcohol has useful calories, remember that!

I'd hesitate to call the vessel "ill-prepared" not knowing
the man or his boat or his habits with it, but it does sound
like he wasn't ready for this trip in this kind of weather.

Putting the rail in shouldn't be bad. Why the trouble
controlling course? That is an indication of something
either going wrong or about to go wrong.

I disagree there Doug.... I don't think that way in a rough sea....
rail in the water is fine at times.... but it is totally uncalled for in
rough conditions. It seems as if proper trim was not established.

What are you saying, you don't like the boat to lean over?
You wimp!

About proper trim, maybe so... one reason why he may have
had trouble keeping the boat on course is from unbalanced
sail plan. A staysail eould have been a better choice than
the tip of a rolled-up genoa.

From a summary viewpoint... he had equipment failure that may have been
prevented. He did not rig his vessel to undertake the sea conditions and
did not have adequate means of keeping himself warm and dry while in the
elements.

Agreed.

From sailing in cold and rough conditions for many years it is
paramount to never underestimate what you may encounter.

Agreed.

... Warm dry
clothing for such and even worse conditions are available. Proper
outfitting of the vessel to provide hot coffee underway in almost any
seastate is critical.

Agreed yet again, but it's expensive. A lot of people "just
make do" with lesser gear & clothing, which is OK as long as
you're not going to test it too rigorously or throw very
high stakes on the table if they fail (and IMHO hypothermia
is a big gamble)

... Double checking all gear prior to departure is
extremely important.

Agreed, and that doesn't cost anything.

Damn it, this is no way to run a newsgroup, agreeing all the
time. WTF is wrong with you? Go ahead, say it, the man had a
fin keeler!

If you live through it and learn from it.. it's adventure.

What is it if you live thru it and don't learn?

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

"DSK" wrote in message

Exactly. And alcohol has useful calories, remember that!

Although I surprisingly do not encourage the use of alcohol in very rough
conditions... I have been known to take a swig of "Liquid Courage" during
exceptioanally difficult situations.

I'd hesitate to call the vessel "ill-prepared" not knowing the man or his
boat or his habits with it, but it does sound like he wasn't ready for
this trip in this kind of weather.

The story speaks for itself Doug.... he was cold and wet... no reason for
either condition.

What are you saying, you don't like the boat to lean over? You wimp!

There are times when it's fun..... but it does not provide power nor does it
benifit ground made good. When in heavy seas.. I would lean towards
minimizing green water and stress on the rig.

About proper trim, maybe so... one reason why he may have had trouble
keeping the boat on course is from unbalanced sail plan. A staysail eould
have been a better choice than the tip of a rolled-up genoa.

Without a doubt a hank on sail is a much better choice to maintain
sailshape.

Agreed yet again, but it's expensive. A lot of people "just make do" with
lesser gear & clothing, which is OK as long as you're not going to test it
too rigorously or throw very high stakes on the table if they fail (and
IMHO hypothermia is a big gamble)

It's a mistake... since you can outfit yourself completely for the cost of
a radar. I can't understand how people can go to sea and not be comfortable
at the helm in foul weather.

... Double checking all gear prior to departure is extremely important.

Agreed, and that doesn't cost anything.

Damn it, this is no way to run a newsgroup, agreeing all the time. WTF is
wrong with you? Go ahead, say it, the man had a fin keeler!

Even a fin keeler should have aced that situation had the crew been dry,
warm and suficently nourished to maintain the pace required by the vessel.

If you live through it and learn from it.. it's adventure.

What is it if you live thru it and don't learn?

That's called a Bobsprit....

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

How could we repeat his answers when we
don't read them?

"Capt.Mooron" wrote in message

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message

Wow, Bart and Doug repeat most of my answers and then pat themselves on
the back after letting us know that a crapping bird in the hand smells
worse than two in a bush! What else would you expect from a
powerboaters and guy who works on his boat rather than sailing it?

No Bob you didn't... you quoted book learned data and have no experience
in such matters. Your opinion is worthless. You offered no suggestions
since you can't envision such conditions and thusly have nothing to
provide.

Until such a time as you matriculate to the status held by the likes of
Doug and Bart... it would be advised that you continue your trolls and
in-shore diatribe... since you really have very limited experience in boat
handling except for protected near shore daysails in calm conditions.

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

Well to give Bob his due... he is one of the most talented and successful
trolls on this group.... but his practical sailing knowledge is very
limited. He seems to forget that on occasion. This of course leads him to
believe he has an opinion that matters.

CM

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message

Wow, Bart and Doug repeat most of my answers and then pat themselves on
the back after letting us know that a crapping bird in the hand smells
worse than two in a bush! What else would you expect from a
powerboaters and guy who works on his boat rather than sailing it?

No Bob you didn't... you quoted book learned data and have no experience
in such matters. Your opinion is worthless. You offered no suggestions
since you can't envision such conditions and thusly have nothing to
provide.

Until such a time as you matriculate to the status held by the likes of
Doug and Bart... it would be advised that you continue your trolls and
in-shore diatribe... since you really have very limited experience in
boat handling except for protected near shore daysails in calm
conditions.

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

The
outlandish claim that you posted the obvious in no way justifies your
competence.

So did I post the "obvious" and if so how it outlandish? And why did
you and Doug repeat it? Hmmmmm?

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message

So did I post the "obvious" and if so how it outlandish? And why did
you and Doug repeat it? Hmmmmm?

Because you were guessing!

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

So did I post the "obvious" and if so how it outlandish? And why did
you and Doug repeat it? Hmmmmm?

Because you were guessing!

And then you repeated all my guesses as fact? Wow! I'm one lucky son of
the sea!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ps.com...
So did I post the "obvious" and if so how it outlandish? And why did
you and Doug repeat it? Hmmmmm?

Because you were guessing!

And then you repeated all my guesses as fact? Wow! I'm one lucky son of
the sea!

You certainly are Bobsprit... your son is proof of that.
You have a new boat and a nice wife...... and one of theses days you'll
actually have some sea time under your belt so you can discuss heavy sea
sailing with the big boys. :-)

CM