posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

Default "Oh god, I'm glad to see you. I'm alive!"

"DSK" wrote in message

Exactly. And alcohol has useful calories, remember that!

Although I surprisingly do not encourage the use of alcohol in very rough
conditions... I have been known to take a swig of "Liquid Courage" during
exceptioanally difficult situations.

I'd hesitate to call the vessel "ill-prepared" not knowing the man or his
boat or his habits with it, but it does sound like he wasn't ready for
this trip in this kind of weather.

The story speaks for itself Doug.... he was cold and wet... no reason for
either condition.

What are you saying, you don't like the boat to lean over? You wimp!

There are times when it's fun..... but it does not provide power nor does it
benifit ground made good. When in heavy seas.. I would lean towards
minimizing green water and stress on the rig.

About proper trim, maybe so... one reason why he may have had trouble
keeping the boat on course is from unbalanced sail plan. A staysail eould
have been a better choice than the tip of a rolled-up genoa.

Without a doubt a hank on sail is a much better choice to maintain
sailshape.

Agreed yet again, but it's expensive. A lot of people "just make do" with
lesser gear & clothing, which is OK as long as you're not going to test it
too rigorously or throw very high stakes on the table if they fail (and
IMHO hypothermia is a big gamble)

It's a mistake... since you can outfit yourself completely for the cost of
a radar. I can't understand how people can go to sea and not be comfortable
at the helm in foul weather.

... Double checking all gear prior to departure is extremely important.

Agreed, and that doesn't cost anything.

Damn it, this is no way to run a newsgroup, agreeing all the time. WTF is
wrong with you? Go ahead, say it, the man had a fin keeler!

Even a fin keeler should have aced that situation had the crew been dry,
warm and suficently nourished to maintain the pace required by the vessel.

If you live through it and learn from it.. it's adventure.

What is it if you live thru it and don't learn?

That's called a Bobsprit....

CM