posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz

Default Jon....road advice?

In article , OzOne wrote:

Jon, can you give me some advice?
We are looking at driving from LA to Heavenly via Mammoth using the
395 then hopping over the Kingsbury Grade (207) to access our lodging
near the stagecoach lift off Tramway drive.

Is this a viable proposition in winter, or is the road likely to be a
problem.

Also, if we do go that way, is access available in winter from the
western side of Yosemite into the park?

TIA.

395 might be open, but you can't rely on it.

Coming from the western side of Yosemite can also be problematic if
there's a decent storm.

FYI, California state law requires ALL vehicles to carry chains from
November 1 thru May and when snowy or icy conditions exist. Even if
you have 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive you MUST still carry chains
in your vehicle or risk a hefty fine. Nevada state law requires all
vehicles to have chains or snow tires during the same time and weather
conditions. Always carry chains when heading to the high country as
they may be required at any time.

Here's a good referense:
http://www.nevadadot.com/traveler/roads/terrain/

Of course, there are always comments like this:

California State Highway 88 connects with U.S. 395 at Minden and
carries traffic westward to Woodfords and Stockton. Highway 207
(Kingsbury Grade) runs up through the mountains to Stateline and Lake
Tahoe, a distance of 11 miles. U.S. 50 connects with U.S. 395 at
nearby Carson City, 14 miles north of Minden. Maintenance on all roads
is excellent and winter snows rarely prevent travel.

I would have a backup plan and consult the conditions prior to making
a commitment... but of course, you already knew that. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
Jonathan Ganz wrote:
In article , OzOne wrote:

Jon, can you give me some advice?
We are looking at driving from LA to Heavenly via Mammoth using the
395 then hopping over the Kingsbury Grade (207) to access our lodging
near the stagecoach lift off Tramway drive.

Is this a viable proposition in winter, or is the road likely to be a
problem.

Also, if we do go that way, is access available in winter from the
western side of Yosemite into the park?

TIA.

395 might be open, but you can't rely on it.

Coming from the western side of Yosemite can also be problematic if
there's a decent storm.

Actually, I meant to say from the eastern side, but Yosemite can be
closed totally if it's a bad enough storm.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Jon....road advice? Bob Crantz ASA 9 November 23rd 05 07:25 AM
Seeking Advice on 1990 Four Winns Freedom 175 OMC Cobra Brian General 1 November 6th 05 07:19 PM
Good advice - get rid of that Beneteau . . . Capt. Neal® ASA 0 November 2nd 05 11:31 PM
cag advice andy UK Paddle 7 October 28th 05 09:23 PM