posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capri

Default Trailerable Sailboats

Hi awhile ago I sold my Westsail 32, after many long years of fine
service. I just can't afford the slip fees any longer. I held on as
long as I could but when they decided to turn our marina into a condo
and private marina it was time to sell. Anyway, It's really hard being
without a boat, so I have been thinking about a trailerable sailboat as
there is plenty of room next to the house to store the boat on a
trailer. Something in the 18-20' range. My offshore days are in the
past so she will pretty much spend her time on the ICW and the St Johns
River with an occasional venture offshore if the weather is
exceptional. A boat that is large enough to have a small cabin yet
small enough for one man to rig. Does anyone know where I might start
my search? what boats I might start looking at?

Thanks ahead,

Phil

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

Check the Nordica 20

http://www.nordicaboats.com/

CM

"Capri" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi awhile ago I sold my Westsail 32, after many long years of fine
service. I just can't afford the slip fees any longer. I held on as
long as I could but when they decided to turn our marina into a condo
and private marina it was time to sell. Anyway, It's really hard being
without a boat, so I have been thinking about a trailerable sailboat as
there is plenty of room next to the house to store the boat on a
trailer. Something in the 18-20' range. My offshore days are in the
past so she will pretty much spend her time on the ICW and the St Johns
River with an occasional venture offshore if the weather is
exceptional. A boat that is large enough to have a small cabin yet
small enough for one man to rig. Does anyone know where I might start
my search? what boats I might start looking at?

Thanks ahead,

Phil

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz

In article 7hxgf.158749$Io.57567@clgrps13,
Capt.Mooron wrote:
Check the Nordica 20

http://www.nordicaboats.com/

CM

"Capri" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi awhile ago I sold my Westsail 32, after many long years of fine
service. I just can't afford the slip fees any longer. I held on as
long as I could but when they decided to turn our marina into a condo
and private marina it was time to sell. Anyway, It's really hard being
without a boat, so I have been thinking about a trailerable sailboat as
there is plenty of room next to the house to store the boat on a
trailer. Something in the 18-20' range. My offshore days are in the
past so she will pretty much spend her time on the ICW and the St Johns
River with an occasional venture offshore if the weather is
exceptional. A boat that is large enough to have a small cabin yet
small enough for one man to rig. Does anyone know where I might start
my search? what boats I might start looking at?

I would think a bulb-like or fin keel would be more appropriate for
what you're looking for. The Cal, for example, has a fairly modern
keel design, given how long ago it was designed.

http://www.sealsspars.com/classy20footer.html
--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
I would think a bulb-like or fin keel would be more appropriate for
what you're looking for. The Cal, for example, has a fairly modern
keel design, given how long ago it was designed.

http://www.sealsspars.com/classy20footer.html

The Cal 20 is a ridiculous choice. It's all cockpit and no cabin. It
performs poorly in heavy air and it is no easier to step the mast than on a
Nordica 16 or Nordica 20.

The Nordica 20 is one of the few boats that has an inboard diesel, can be
ramp launched and will sleep 4 in comfort with a built in head , galley and
has only a 2.5ft draft. It will out perform a Cal 20 anyday as I have proven
on many occasions. You can actually walk around the deck of a Nordica 20 and
it has life lines all around. The 2 cylinder diesel can be hand cranked,
there is actual plumbing with a sink and stove inside. The bunks are 8 feet.
The storage is excellent.

Fairly modern keel design... what a laugh! The Cal 20 is a low end pig in a
poke.

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz

In article TdKgf.207483$ir4.176733@edtnps90,
Capt.Mooron wrote:
Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
I would think a bulb-like or fin keel would be more appropriate for
what you're looking for. The Cal, for example, has a fairly modern
keel design, given how long ago it was designed.

http://www.sealsspars.com/classy20footer.html

The Cal 20 is a ridiculous choice. It's all cockpit and no cabin. It
performs poorly in heavy air and it is no easier to step the mast than on a
Nordica 16 or Nordica 20.

You know nothing about the Cal, obviously. It was designed for sailing
on the SF bay, and handles heavy air with out a problem. It's a
relatively dry boat for its size and has a very decent interior, with,
as I said room for three if necessary. Cals have crossed the Pacific
more than a few times.

I can't speak to the comparison of stepping the mast with a Nordica,
but it's pretty easy to do if you plan it well. I put it up on the
water with one other person, and on the hard it would be easier.

The Nordica 20 is one of the few boats that has an inboard diesel, can be
ramp launched and will sleep 4 in comfort with a built in head , galley and
has only a 2.5ft draft. It will out perform a Cal 20 anyday as I have proven
on many occasions. You can actually walk around the deck of a Nordica 20 and
it has life lines all around. The 2 cylinder diesel can be hand cranked,
there is actual plumbing with a sink and stove inside. The bunks are 8 feet.
The storage is excellent.

Why the heck would I want the weight of an inboard engine on a 20 foot
boat??? That's crazy. I suppose the Nordica 20 has 6 foot headroom
also. New ones are wildly expensive... $15K, whereas you can get a Cal
20 that is near perfect for under $2K. The Cal will kick your butt all
over the bay and back. You wouldn't stand a chance.

Fairly modern keel design... what a laugh! The Cal 20 is a low end pig in a
poke.

Like the Nordica has a modern one.... right, sure.

The Cal's keel was way a head of its time. And, it still performs
better than many newer boats.

Ok. Now, it's time for you to make a personal attack....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message

You know nothing about the Cal, obviously. It was designed for sailing
on the SF bay, and handles heavy air with out a problem. It's a
relatively dry boat for its size and has a very decent interior, with,
as I said room for three if necessary. Cals have crossed the Pacific
more than a few times.

I've sailed them... they suck and not one Cal 20 has crossed the Pacific. A
Nordica 20 though has crossed the North Atlantic. They are cheap and
worthless as the asking price shows!

Why the heck would I want the weight of an inboard engine on a 20 foot
boat???

WTF are you on about.... it's a 150 lb engine!! It's not like you're
frickin' car-topping you IDIOT!

That's crazy. I suppose the Nordica 20 has 6 foot headroom

You suppose wrong... then again that's no surprise.

also. New ones are wildly expensive... $15K,

You dipstick... they have been out of production since 1985 and average at
about 7K Cdn

whereas you can get a Cal
20 that is near perfect for under $2K.

Because it's a POS!!!

The Cal will kick your butt all
over the bay and back. You wouldn't stand a chance.

I just told you I beat Cal 20s all the time in a full keeler. Those Cal 20s
suck backwash. They are wet, sail poorly and are a poor choice for anything
but a day sail.

Like the Nordica has a modern one.... right, sure.

It's a full keel cut-away forefoot.... did you even go to the site I
indicated?

The Cal's keel was way a head of its time. And, it still performs
better than many newer boats.

What a load of desperate CRAP! It's dated, a slug and useless for anything
but short daysails in very protected waters. A MacGregor 19 is a better boat
than your crappy Cal 20

Ok. Now, it's time for you to make a personal attack....

You're GAY!!

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Gary

Capt.Mooron wrote:
[...]

There is a huge racing fleet of Cal 20s up here in the PNW. The class
racing is very competitive. Lots of them cruise in the summer. Not
many are trailer sailed though. Cheap, honest fun.
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz

In article XvSgf.579668$tl2.187708@pd7tw3no,
Gary wrote:
There is a huge racing fleet of Cal 20s up here in the PNW. The class
racing is very competitive. Lots of them cruise in the summer. Not
many are trailer sailed though. Cheap, honest fun.

Where in the PNW? Near Thom?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Check the Nordica 20

http://www.nordicaboats.com/

Hey, that's perfect if you want something ugly, slow and dull!!! Maybe
get two?!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message

Hey, that's perfect if you want something ugly, slow and dull!!!

No really... if those were his parameters.... I would have suggested a
Benneteau35s5!

Fin Keeler!

CM

bristol sailboats mike ASA 6 November 16th 05 04:28 AM
BIG trailer for sailboats [email protected] Cruising 2 October 23rd 05 02:58 PM
Trailerable Trimarans Dan ASA 6 October 18th 05 06:54 PM
Upgrades, Repairs and projects Sailboats Mic Cruising 0 October 16th 05 08:48 AM