mike

Default bristol sailboats

anyone here own a Bristol sailboat?

Capt. Rob

anyone here own a Bristol sailboat?

Mike, I have a 27 for sale on City Island in NY. I've sailed it several
times. Very well built boat. Tracks great, points okay, very pleasant
on a close reach and not too bad in light air for a small full keeled
boat. Later models became more yacht-like, but I like the early Alberg
models like the 27 best.

Good luck,

RB

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, "mike" wrote:

anyone here own a Bristol sailboat?

I have a friend who lives year 'round on one who tells me there are
several www "search engine" easily finadable Bristol related "Lists"
and like resources.

Bart Senior

Bristol, of course means, sharp-looking, yacht-quality,
sea-worthy, etc. These boats typify the true meaning
of Bristol.

I've never owned A Bristol, but I've sailed two models,
each in demanding conditions.

These are the Bristol 34 and the Bristol 35.5.

The Bristol 35.5 was the far superior of the two boats. It
handled SF Bay and California Pacific Ocean conditions well.
It's fin keel gave it superb upwind perfromance. It had and
excellent better than average yacht type interior, and a reliable
diesel. It'd highly recommend it--one of the better 80's vintage
boats. I'd consider buying one--I liked it that much.

The Bristol 34 was much older, 70's vintage, with the narrower,
wetter hulls, and full keels common of that timeframe. This boat
had four single berths in the main cabin--a good passage or watch
standing layout. It had and concomfortable high wooden coaming
around the cockpit that was uncomfortable to sit on, and a
ridiculously tiny wheel. Worse yet it had crap for sails. With a
good owner/maintainer, it's a superior boat for it's vintage.

It handled beating to weather in the open ocean off Newport, RI
in 30+ wind, short chop, and larger waves well--until we blew out
the jib--the owner was cheap and bought a used sail.

Downside was a gas powered Atomic-4 for an auxilary propulsion.
I don't like gas engines, but with a boat that was tough and
could sail well--I'd be less concerned.

One final point. These older more beat up, 70's vintage Bristols
had a fiberglass so thick, it is probably bullet proof. If you like to
work on boats, and want to design your own interior--these are good
boats for that.

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, "mike" wrote:

anyone here own a Bristol sailboat?

Capt. Rob

Wasn't that the boat you said sank and still smelled bad?

No that was a Nordic 30 and it smelled bad before it sank. Something to
do with the construction materials being 20% recycled diaper composte.

RB
35s5...a sweet smelling boat!
NY

Maxprop

"mike" wrote in message

anyone here own a Bristol sailboat?

We looked at two before buying our last boat. The specifics are
unimportant, but what IS important is that the prices of all Bristols, even
the beat-up, worn-out old ones, has risen dramatically in the past decade.
Unless you find one in pristine shape with good mechanicals and current
electronics, canvas, etc. it may be seriously overpriced compared with, oh,
say, a Beneteau 35s5. g

Max