Scotty

Default a Heated subject

Last time out I didn't have the motor running long enough to even
heat up the 6 gallon water heater.

SBV

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Scotty,

I have a "RED DOT" hot water heater and a Pal Origo space heat.

I'll
probably use the Origo a lot more this winter with the price of

Diesel.
The Red Dot run at a fast idle doesn't use very much fuel and

dropped
into gear sure does make "Pneuma" a really weatherly vessel.

Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

DSK

Scotty wrote:
it's cold sailing now. I thought about Thom's pilot house more
than a few times last weekend. I got (for free) a small space
heater that fastens to a small propane bottle. It works OK, takes
the chill out of the cabin, but doesn't make it toasty. Maybe
I'll get another one (for free).

What do you use to heat your boat?

Webasto T-90 diesel furnace & radiators. Warms the boat up quite nicely,
especially the head. Not the most practical solution, the system is
relatively bulky & expensive & tedious to install, but having a warm
boat on cold days (last winter the river froze over) is worth it. My
wife calculated that we used about 20 gallons of fuel last winter,
heating the boat up toasty warm on weekends.

Small combustion heaters usually dump a LOT of moisture into the air,
along with CO2 and CO. Getting enough air in & out of the cabin is not
too difficult but you're left with high humidity. The times I've used
them, the boat turns chilly & damp almost immediately when you turn them
off.

There are a number of small cabin heaters that would be much easier to
install and take up little room. I have a Shipmate Skippy stove in the
garage, a small nautical version of the old pot-bellied stove. I used to
put cans of sterno in it, clean & easy; but it could burn charcoal or
wood or anything. For a long time I looked for a bulkhead-mount
fireplace that could burn both diesel fuel & solid, but nobody makes
such a thing.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Seahag

"DSK" wrote:
There are a number of small cabin heaters that would be
much easier to install and take up little room. I have a
Shipmate Skippy stove in the garage, a small nautical
version of the old pot-bellied stove. I used to put cans
of sterno in it, clean & easy; but it could burn charcoal
or wood or anything. For a long time I looked for a
bulkhead-mount fireplace that could burn both diesel fuel
& solid, but nobody makes such a thing.

We're looking at the Luke fireplaces to replace our
Taiwanese wannabe fireplace:
http://www.peluke.com/Soapstone_and_...ireplaces.html
Or maybe the Little Cod from Navagator:
http://www.marinestove.com/index.htm

I prefer seeing the flames tho:^)

Seahag

Scotty

"DSK" wrote

Small combustion heaters usually dump a LOT of moisture into

the air,
along with CO2 and CO.

right. I turn it off before I fall asleep, turn it on in the
morning before I crawl out of bed.

Scotty

Scotty

"Seahag" wrote

We're looking at the Luke fireplaces to replace our
Taiwanese wannabe fireplace:

http://www.peluke.com/Soapstone_and_.../soapstone_and
_tile_fireplaces.html
Or maybe the Little Cod from Navagator:
http://www.marinestove.com/index.htm

I prefer seeing the flames tho:^)

The soapstone's look nicer.

Gary

Scotty wrote:
"DSK" wrote

Small combustion heaters usually dump a LOT of moisture into

the air,

along with CO2 and CO.

right. I turn it off before I fall asleep, turn it on in the
morning before I crawl out of bed.

Scotty

That doesn't solve te moisture problem.
Seahag

"Scotty" wrote:

"Seahag" wrote

We're looking at the Luke fireplaces to replace our
Taiwanese wannabe fireplace:

http://www.peluke.com/Soapstone_and_.../soapstone_and
_tile_fireplaces.html
Or maybe the Little Cod from Navagator:
http://www.marinestove.com/index.htm

I prefer seeing the flames tho:^)

The soapstone's look nicer.

Yeah, I'm going to look around at Bacon's.

Seahag

Joe

Thanks to global warming we have never needed a heater aboard RedCloud.

Yet my AC's are also heaters.

Cruise airs and aqua airs, both made by the same guy, I like the cruise
air's better.

Joe

Scotty

Can't you ever say anything intelligent?

"Commode Joe " wrote

That doesn't solve te moisture problem.

Is Scotty still having "accidents"?

Commode Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Donal

"Scotty" wrote in message

What do you use to heat your boat?

This is one of the most lubberly questions that has ever been asked on asa!!

Whilst sailing, I use proper clothing to keep warm.

When we are tied up, we use the central heating ( Eberspacher, diesel
powered) to dry the boat out.

Regards

Donal