Capt. Rob

Default The PDQ we Sailed

Our friend had a PDQ 36 from the mid 90's. We sailed it twice, once
near Niantic and another time when he brought it down to us. In choppy
conditions it was not a pleasant ride and it was NOISY! As far as the
odd motion, Anthony, who owned the boat certainly didn't like it and
has since sold it and bought Shannon 43 which he's currently restoring
(Beautiful boat). In his defense, he's a retired cop who bought the
thing at an auction and cheap. He took a chance and it really paid off
when he sold it...so all's well. The PDQ actually went up in value in
the two years he had it.
I believe Jeff has a bigger PDQ...not sure and maybe the 36 is too
small, but we didn't like it. It just didn't feel like sailing and
wasn't interesting after 10 minutes. I hated the helm, which felt dead
most of the time. I sailed visually rather than by feel on most tacks.
Suzanne could see the alure for someone who's older. Anthony at 55 sure
didn't like it and sold it after 2 seasons..at a good profit. He agrees
it's just not sailing in any satisfying sense when your on a cat of
that type. They are floating condos and I could care less if you
daysail it or take it around the world. It's still not a boat for
sailors, which is why I don't know a single sailing enthusiast who
wants one. The same mentality behind a PDQ or big Prout is behind
buyers of those big Hunters. They want a stable, ultra roomy
motel/platform that won't heel...and "add some sails if you can,
please."
As for seasickness...I wasn't, but I didn't like the motion. In defense
of the Cat, Suzanne was pregnant at the time. But she never got ill on
the C&C, J24s and all the other monohulls we played with that summer.
I guess Jeff will now say he has the PDQ Deluxe 42 or something and
that it's somehow different. Ok...you can keep that wide load...we aint
interested. The feel of sailing a monohul is what it's all about. If
you don't get that, well, that's just fine.

Capt. Robert B
35s5...a boat that sails the way a sailboat should!
NY

Capt. Neal®

How dare you talk about sailing?

CN

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message oups.com...
| Our friend had a PDQ 36 from the mid 90's. We sailed it twice, once
| near Niantic and another time when he brought it down to us. In choppy
| conditions it was not a pleasant ride and it was NOISY! As far as the
| odd motion, Anthony, who owned the boat certainly didn't like it and
| has since sold it and bought Shannon 43 which he's currently restoring
| (Beautiful boat). In his defense, he's a retired cop who bought the
| thing at an auction and cheap. He took a chance and it really paid off
| when he sold it...so all's well. The PDQ actually went up in value in
| the two years he had it.
| I believe Jeff has a bigger PDQ...not sure and maybe the 36 is too
| small, but we didn't like it. It just didn't feel like sailing and
| wasn't interesting after 10 minutes. I hated the helm, which felt dead
| most of the time. I sailed visually rather than by feel on most tacks.
| Suzanne could see the alure for someone who's older. Anthony at 55 sure
| didn't like it and sold it after 2 seasons..at a good profit. He agrees
| it's just not sailing in any satisfying sense when your on a cat of
| that type. They are floating condos and I could care less if you
| daysail it or take it around the world. It's still not a boat for
| sailors, which is why I don't know a single sailing enthusiast who
| wants one. The same mentality behind a PDQ or big Prout is behind
| buyers of those big Hunters. They want a stable, ultra roomy
| motel/platform that won't heel...and "add some sails if you can,
| please."
| As for seasickness...I wasn't, but I didn't like the motion. In defense
| of the Cat, Suzanne was pregnant at the time. But she never got ill on
| the C&C, J24s and all the other monohulls we played with that summer.
| I guess Jeff will now say he has the PDQ Deluxe 42 or something and
| that it's somehow different. Ok...you can keep that wide load...we aint
| interested. The feel of sailing a monohul is what it's all about. If
| you don't get that, well, that's just fine.
|
| Capt. Robert B
| 35s5...a boat that sails the way a sailboat should!
| NY

Capt. Rob

How dare you talk about sailing?

Yeah, well...my impressions of sailing the PDQ are clearly typical when
you read about other reactions to these boats. They have their place, I
suppose, but then so does a houseboat. You simply can't compare
something like a PDQ 36 to a fun and fast monohull. One is aimed at
sailors and cat is more for the powerboat/Windebago crowd who still
wants a link to sailing...not that there's anything wrong with that.
It's just not "sailing" the way enthusiasts like it. Jeff can moan and
groan about this, just as Doug tries to convince himself of the "good
sense" behind his powerboat. Okay...but it aint sailing.
Trawlers and Cats make sense for the aging sailor....but just how old
are Jeff and Doug? Thom still sails a monohull and the fellow who sold
me the 35s5 is a very active Tartan 10 racer at 73 years old.

Robert B
35s5...a SAIL boat
NY

DSK

Capt. Rob wrote:
... You simply can't compare
something like a PDQ 36 to a fun and fast monohull.

You can if you know something about sailing.

DSK

Jeff

Sorry, this is lovely fiction but I'm not buying it one bit. You've
never been on a cat other than (maybe) at a boat show.

But even taking it on face value - you sailed with someone who bought
an early version that was abandoned (I've never heard of such a case),
didn't know how to sail it, and sold it after two seasons. The only
part that rings true is that it increased in value.

BTW, I have the 36. The 42 wasn't out until 2001. I might have got
one of the early 42's when they were offered at $350K, now they go for
$650K! However, a 22 foot beam is a bit much to stash around here.

I've never claimed Bob should get a cat - there for people who like to
cruise to distant places. Someone who thinks cruising is going 3
miles to get "deep into the Sound" and thinks not having A/C would be
"horrific" is better served by a Bendy Toy.

Capt. Rob wrote:
[...]

Capt. Rob

... You simply can't compare
something like a PDQ 36 to a fun and fast monohull.

You can if you know something about sailing.

I guess very few people know anything about sailing, Doug. Monohulls
continue to be what people want. I'd ask you for your preference and
reasons, but you're incapable of following a thread about sailing...as
you own a powerboat!

RB
35s5
NY

Jeff

Capt. Rob wrote:
... You simply can't compare
something like a PDQ 36 to a fun and fast monohull.

You can if you know something about sailing.

I guess very few people know anything about sailing, Doug. Monohulls
continue to be what people want.

Which explains why multihulls are the fastest growing segment of the
industry.

Capt. Rob

I've never claimed Bob should get a cat - there for people who like to
cruise to distant places. Someone who thinks cruising is going 3
miles to get "deep into the Sound" and thinks not having A/C would be
"horrific" is better served by a Bendy Toy.

Most long range cruisers use monohulls, Jeff. And Cats are not just for
long range cruisers. I know folks who like them just to relax on as a
waterfront home. Sorry if that offends you, but that's a fact. I don't
concern myself with how other people enjoy their boats. I'll leave that
to you.

The only
part that rings true is that it increased in value.

Oh, really? So you don't agree that the cat is dull to sail compared to
a boat like mine? You actually think your helm is equally sensitive?
Doug already confirmed that the motion is different and some folks
might not like it.
Jeff, you've been bitch slapped again and again. Where will it end?
When will you learn? I'm glad you like your boat, but it's a dull ride
compared to my 35s5 and MOST folks don't want a dull ride. I had no
idea you had the 36. It was a very nice boat, appeared well built and
comfortable. But if I decided to take some long trips with my young son
I'd rather buy a bigger monohull for him than a PDQ 36.

Enjoy!

RB
35s5....a fast and fun boat!
NY

Capt. Rob

Which explains why multihulls are the fastest growing segment of the
industry.

Hey, the Mac26X and bloated Hunters sell well too. Doesn't indicate
they're a great or classy boat choice. Face it: You chose a
Motorhome-sailboat Big Mac Combo with fries.
It suits you and that's fine, but most people in this group prefer real
sailing, Jeff. Best if you learn to live with that and head downwind.

Robert B
35s5...a sailboat!
NY

Capt. JG

Just not true. Cats are wonderful for long range cruising for a number of
reasons, not the least of which that they're easier on the crew, being very
stable.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

oups.com...

Better Handling Capt. Rob ASA 10 November 2nd 05 08:48 PM
Best Day Sailing This Year Bart Senior ASA 28 November 2nd 05 04:16 AM
Ping Thom. Peter Wiley ASA 27 November 1st 05 08:04 AM
My Boat is.... Capt. Rob ASA 38 October 22nd 05 11:36 PM