Capt. Rob

Default Did You Pick the Wrong Boat?

http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_...14_99/bob2.htm

Modern Hygiene's Dirty Tricks
The clean life may throw off a delicate balance in the immune system
By Siri Carpenter

Bob, air conditioning does not creat a clean environment. In fact it
can ADD bacteria levels. Again, you don't have a clue and posting about
"Clean living" has nothing at all to do with air conditioning.
Nice try.

RB
35s5

Capt.Mooron

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message

Why sail at all. Stay home and pretend and save on the gas.

Well I used to live aboard Bob... so I was home! :-) When I'm out now... I'm
still at home.... we go out for the sailing not the speed nor destination.
I can bring my vessel in at 0300hrs as easily as I can at 1500hrs.
Gas?? I thought we were talking about light air sailing... Oh! I see...
it's a motor reflex for you! [Pun Intended] :-)

Sounds like a trawler is in your future.

Nope... Overproof is in my future. I really don't want any other boat. My
friend though is looking at a Nordhaven... now that's a Trawler!

A difference of 2 or 3 knots is huge. Not only does th speed add a fun
factor, it might also get you to a destination on a light air day
without resorting to the engine.

Well if you are on a schedule and the destination is back to your dock
because you have appointments... sure the extra 15 minutes might make a
difference. To most of us it's the trip... not the destination that counts
Bob.

Otherwise it sounds like you have a Trawler in your future. :-)

Actually it isn't.

Actually... Yes it is! 7'6" cockpit seats. The area behind the wheel cannot
be counted as cockpit space since it requires to be clear underway and
practically useless at the mooring... or in your case.. the dock.

Nope. The engine fits neatly through the companionway. Why would I put
it on a truck? It only has 250 hours and I'm at a full service yard.

Wow..... is the engine hour meter mounted on your engine like you told me
it was on Ghost?..:-)
Mine has 411 hours and it's over 8 years old.
Have you ever removed an engine through a companionway?? I have... it's no
fun at all.

A total myth. I rarely get colds, my wife never does and my son has yet
to be sick at all. We have AC of course. The key is to know how to use
a climate control system at home or on a boat. I doubt you even know
why temperature can effect health and how to control it properly. You
learn a few things when your wife works in Critical Care.

No Bob... I doubt you have much experience with climate nor temperature. You
are city born, bred and raised. AC will impede your body's natural ability
to aclimatize. You will go from cold to hot without suitable transition
time. Colds are prevalent to those who work in freezer and reefer units. Air
flow works much better to keep one comfortable. Other than that I would
reccomend better insulation. [ Caveat- steel boats with dark paint that
attract, hold and generate heat may be an exception]

Well of course you wouldn't know. You own a turtle with sails.
Performance cruising refers to a vessel which splits duty between
cruisability and fast sailing. And so my 35s5 is faster than most
cruising boats like yours, or Island Packets, Bristols, Catalinas,
Pearsons and so on. But it's not as fast as a stripped out C&C 34r or
J-35. It scores great on speed and very good on comfort. If you
actually enjoy sailing my boat is more rewarding. If you're out there
for some sea air, the water and drinking any boat will pretty much do.
On the LIS, a boat like yours crawls in the light winds. And Mooron, I
LIKE your boat. It's certainly well built and great for trips. But for
the type of sailing many of us do, it's the wrong boat.

Well Bob... nobody is doubting the abilities of your vessel..... but it
isn't a cruiser by any stretch of the imagination... it's a large coastal
daysailor. Now seriously Bob.... you have no idea how my vessel would
perform on the LIS do you?! You are making assumptions based of
generalities. If you want an idea.... it's match even upwind and way faster
downwind than a Contessa 32. That's based on sailing against 3 separate
Contessa 32s. I'm very happy with the speed and the power of my vessel.
Although I'm glad you like your boat.... I must say I find that the lines
look rather generic and the design is comparable to the plethora of like
vessels found at a charter company. My vessel always draws many compliments
and inquiries. It has a graceful sheer and wineglass hull..... the bowsprit
not only compliments the vessel's lines but adds a safe working area when
changing headsail. I have real Burmese Teak in the cabin... not veneer. My
galley is stainless. The vessel is airy and cool even on the hottest days
[36c to 42C here... or 97F to 107F].... without AC!

Anyway ... Best of Luck with your new boat.

CM

Bob Crantz

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_...14_99/bob2.htm

Modern Hygiene's Dirty Tricks
The clean life may throw off a delicate balance in the immune system
By Siri Carpenter

Bob, air conditioning does not creat a clean environment. In fact it
can ADD bacteria levels. Again, you don't have a clue and posting about
"Clean living" has nothing at all to do with air conditioning.
Nice try.

RB
35s5

Air conditioning by itself cannot add bacteria. The methods one uses to air
conditioning can promote bacteria, for example not allowing air circulation.

If bacteria is present in the air conditioner unit, the thing will act as
germ sprayer.

The bottom line is, your boat may be filled with germs and worse yet,
cooties!

That air conditioner won't work where you are going anyway.

Hell is mighty hot!

And the don't have electricity!

Amen!

PS: Let the kid play in dirt, it's good for him.

Bart Senior

Fractional rigs are fine as long as you have a spinnaker.

"rgnmstr" wrote
On the LIS, a boat like yours crawls in the light winds.

LOL................. Hey, wait until your out on LIS in light air with
that frac rig. Most people who know ANYTHING know that a masthead is
the way to go for places like LIS and the Chesapeake. So in conclusion
it looks like you picked the wrong boat yourself. You'll be motoring
as usual.

Jeff

My Gawd, Booby is just getting more and more pathetic. This sounds
like buyers remorse.

Face it, Booby, you bought a second rate boat. Given your limited
ambition, it was probably the best choice. Learn to live with it, at
least for a few years. And do be careful with Thomas - that
companionway with the cute steps and no handholds is a death trap for
little kids.

Capt. Rob wrote:
It's pretty funny...almost everyone chooses a boat for the wrong
reasons. They buy a full keel crabcrusher for rumors of it being
seaworthy. They buy a tight cabin 30 footer certain they'll only race
and daysail. Of course the tiny cabin enforces this, even as they
realize the mistake. They buy a cheap boat with no positive sailing
atrributes and no care in the design. They buy a slow, heavy yacht,
expecting hurricanes and wind driven spray every other day.

The TRUTH is that 99% of us sail within sight of land, and many in
protected waters like my Long Island Sound. Here's how to make a smart
choice:

1) Buy a boat like the 35s5 which will be able to sail in light air as
well as fresh breezes. While Mooron's boat sails okay in light air it's
hardly entertaining.
2) Don't buy a boat for it's interior. There are boats with bigger
interiors than the 35s5, but all that volume won't be used 90% of the
time and performance with suffer.
3) Choose a fractional rig like the 35s5. A fractional rig is more
tunable and often these boats will sail like big dinghies under the
main alone. Perfect for shorthanded sailing.
4) Choose a boat that's FAST. Fast = fun and you can always
depower/reef your sails when you want to relax.
5) Choose a boat like the 35s5 for a large comfortable cockpit and
deckspace. You'll spend most of your time above deck.
6) Install air conditioning if you live in a hot climate. Sorry, but
it's not healthy to be inside a boat when it's 90 degrees. In fact
studies show that temperatures above 85 degrees impact breathing and
mental processes.
7) Be comfortable. A sailboat is a home away from home if you cruise or
weekend. It's not some excuse to prove you can suffer. Make it
comfortable for the crew and yourself. Working sailors have always
brought as much of their homes as possible.

If anyone tells you other than the above, they're probably frustrated
frauds who think a boat somehow makes them better people. An asshole
like Scotty Potty or Loco buy a boat and simply become assholes with
boats.
So choose your boat wisely as I did. The 35s5 is not just one of the
fastest boats here, it's also one of the best designs for performance
cruising and daysailing.

Robert B
Beneteau 35s5
NY

Capt. Rob

And do be careful with Thomas - that
companionway with the cute steps and no handholds is a death trap for
little kids.

Jeff, maybe you wouldn't sound so dumb if you just once had clue...

http://www.floridaboats.net/images/3...slides/31.html

Note the handrails and there are rails above as well.

Clueless Jeff strikes again...and gets busted!

RB

Capt. Rob

The bottom line is, your boat may be filled with germs and worse yet,
cooties!

Well you should have said cooties to begin with. I'm with you on that
one.

RB

Capt. Rob

Well if you are on a schedule and the destination is back to your dock
because you have appointments... sure the extra 15 minutes might make a

difference. To most of us it's the trip... not the destination that
counts
Bob.

Exactly why a 35s5 is a better boat. More speed and performance plus
you actually get to where you're going more often.

Actually... Yes it is! 7'6" cockpit seats.

Yup, you're cockpit is smaller.

Well Bob... nobody is doubting the abilities of your vessel..... but
it
isn't a cruiser by any stretch of the imagination... it's a large
coastal
daysailor.

Such nonsense. You clearly believe the Island packet marketing. The
35s5 can go anywhere. But that really isn't what I posted, now is it,
Mooron. I simply posted that based on our needs a 35s5 made a better
boat than a full keeler.

I must say I find that the lines
look rather generic and the design is comparable to the plethora of
like
vessels found at a charter company.

That's a weak effort. The 35s5 is pretty unique looking and really
doesn't look like much else, partly because of her port design and also
because of her deep sugar scoop...very large for a 35 footer. Like I
said, I like your boat, but it's a poor pick for these parts.

RB

Capt.Mooron

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message

Exactly why a 35s5 is a better boat. More speed and performance plus
you actually get to where you're going more often.

When sailing... I get to where I'm going as soon as the canvas is raised! I
have so many places I can sail to from my location. World Heritage sites
within a daysail. ...and Bob the water is a deep rich blue.

...but I understand your dilemma. I mean seriously... how often can you day
sail in one area without it becoming just so much "Bin Der Done Dat".

A big shiny coastal daysailer with braggin' rights... is exactly what you
needed to lift your spirits!

CM

Capt. Rob

Face it, Booby, you bought a second rate boat.

Jeff, are you aware that the 35s5 was upmarket of the comparable C&C's,
Pearson's and many other production boats in 1990? In fact, being
Beneteau's most pricey boat per foot, they had a hard time selling
them. 135-145K for a basic boat was a lot in 1990 when plenty of other
choices were 20-50K less....slower choices.

Robert B
35s5

Thinking of becoming a live aboard richard Cruising 27 November 3rd 05 09:27 PM
Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM