Brien Alkire

Default trajedy in marina del rey

Last night on the news was a report that a man fell overboard from a boat
called Merry Mary (I assume that's the spelling) in Marina Del Rey and died
during the sunset series races. They also showed another boat that had
capsized and been dismasted.

Yet there's nothing on the news today, either on TV, radio or online. It
seems strange that a boat could have capsized in the calm conditions
yesterday. It's even more strange that the story was pulled from the news.

Did anyone hear about this? Any links to the story?

Joe

Sailor falls overboard and dies at hospital

MARINA DEL REY - A man pulled from the Marina del Rey breakwater after
falling off the side of a boat today died today at a hospital,
authorities said.

The man was reported in the water "where the ocean meets the marina' at
6:42 p.m., said Ed Pickett of the Los Angeles County Fire Department.

He was in full cardiac arrest when lifeguards on a fire department boat
pulled him from the water, Pickett said. He was taken to Daniel Freeman
Marina Hospital where he died.

Several other sailors in the area were trying to help the man out of
the water when lifeguards arrived, Pickett said.

The man was the only passenger on the boat he fell from. It was not
clear how he went overboard, Pickett said.

Brien Alkire

Here's some info I got from a friend that was racing last night:

"LAX recorded 18knots at 7pm with gusts in the low-20's and it was somewhat
windier out from shore. I think the waves were the bigger problem. It was
the roughest I've seen it for any of the wed night races in the last 3
years. There were at least 2 dismastings, one boat capsized, one sunk,
people overboard from several boats, and lots of sail damage. Dock
scuttlebutt was that the boat with the fatality was a Moore 24 and the boat
that sunk was a MacGregor 26. We got soaked but enjoyed the ride, and had
some really great surfs even without the spinnaker."

JG

I guess that's heavy air for So Cal. Up here it's a light day.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Brien Alkire" wrote in message
Here's some info I got from a friend that was racing last night:

"LAX recorded 18knots at 7pm with gusts in the low-20's and it was
somewhat
windier out from shore. I think the waves were the bigger problem. It was
the roughest I've seen it for any of the wed night races in the last 3
years. There were at least 2 dismastings, one boat capsized, one sunk,
people overboard from several boats, and lots of sail damage. Dock
scuttlebutt was that the boat with the fatality was a Moore 24 and the
boat
that sunk was a MacGregor 26. We got soaked but enjoyed the ride, and had
some really great surfs even without the spinnaker."

Brien Alkire

I guess that's heavy air for So Cal. Up here it's a light day.

Yes, it's true that MDR is a light wind area. However, I think the waves
and the fact that it was the first race of season probably played bigger
roles (lots of new racers and sailors with rusty skills).

Unlike my friends in the bay area people rarely wear PFD's around here. I'm
sure there'll be a lot of debate about that.

JG

Personally, I think it's high foolishness to not wear PDFs. I don't see any
good reason not to, especially given the good quality and high comfort of
PDFs currently available.

I know for sure that one has a much higher chance of being boarded for an
impromptu inspection if one isn't wearing one... at least up here.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Brien Alkire" wrote in message
I guess that's heavy air for So Cal. Up here it's a light day.

Yes, it's true that MDR is a light wind area. However, I think the waves
and the fact that it was the first race of season probably played bigger
roles (lots of new racers and sailors with rusty skills).

Unlike my friends in the bay area people rarely wear PFD's around here.
I'm
sure there'll be a lot of debate about that.

Scotty

"JG" wrote in message
Personally, I think it's high foolishness to not wear FPDs. If I see

someone that
isn't wearing one, I call the marine cops right away.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.tattletalenow.com

Donal

"JG" wrote in message
Personally, I think it's high foolishness to not wear PDFs. I don't see

any
good reason not to, especially given the good quality and high comfort of
PDFs currently available.

I know for sure that one has a much higher chance of being boarded for an
impromptu inspection if one isn't wearing one... at least up here.

What is the world coming to?

Are Californians so devoid of testosterone that they would allow their
vessels to be boarded because someone wasn't wearing a lifejacket?

Regards

Donal

Trajedy in marina del rey Brien Alkire Cruising 0 April 21st 05 05:10 PM
Nice marina...... JimH General 0 April 3rd 05 01:28 AM
70 VAC at Charleston City Marina tonight Larry W4CSC Electronics 12 February 18th 05 08:07 PM
Update on Marina Damage -- FL Coasts anchorlt Cruising 0 September 24th 04 08:03 PM
Time for a boating topic. Des Moines (WA) Marina Gould 0738 General 1 August 20th 04 06:10 PM