Jeff Dowder

Default Crack in boom

I've got a small surface crack appearing in the center of my boom. The yard
says I should drill a hole in each end of it to stop it from spreading and
relieve the stress. An Air Force veteran told me the did the same thing to
the aluminum on the planes when cracks appears and the same type of
technique is used on horse hooves when they crack. Since I'm not cash rich
right now, I'd like to get two more reliable seasons out of this boom. I'd
appreciate any input, thanks in advance.

Jeff Dowder

Scott Vernon

What boat? Size boom? How long is the crack? End or mid boom
sheeting? Any attachments (bails) near the crack?

The drilled holes will stop the crack from spreading, unless something
is very wrong and what caused the crack will continue to stress your
boom till it cracks again. If you're worried about it, why not take
the boom to a weld shop?

Whatever you do , DO NOT INSERT PIPE INSIDE THE BOOM!

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

"Jeff Dowder" wrote in message
k.net...
I've got a small surface crack appearing in the center of my boom.

The yard
says I should drill a hole in each end of it to stop it from

spreading and
relieve the stress. An Air Force veteran told me the did the same

thing to
the aluminum on the planes when cracks appears and the same type of
technique is used on horse hooves when they crack. Since I'm not

cash rich
right now, I'd like to get two more reliable seasons out of this

boom. I'd
appreciate any input, thanks in advance.

Jeff Dowder

DSK

"Jeff Dowder" wrote
I've got a small surface crack appearing in the center of my boom.

The yard
says I should drill a hole in each end of it to stop it from

spreading and
relieve the stress.

You have a talking lawn??!?

... An Air Force veteran told me the did the same
thing to
the aluminum on the planes when cracks appears and the same type of
technique is used on horse hooves when they crack. Since I'm not

cash rich
right now, I'd like to get two more reliable seasons out of this

boom. I'd
appreciate any input, thanks in advance.

They're right about relieveing the stress, this technique is fairly
common. But drilling holes at the ends of the crack are not going to do
anything about the stress which caused the crack in the first place.

Scott Vernon wrote:
What boat? Size boom? How long is the crack? End or mid boom
sheeting? Any attachments (bails) near the crack?

Important considerations! Also whether the crack is around the bottom of
the boom or lengthwise along the side.

The drilled holes will stop the crack from spreading, unless something
is very wrong and what caused the crack will continue to stress your
boom till it cracks again. If you're worried about it, why not take
the boom to a weld shop?

There's a very good idea. At the very least, some JB Weld! Personally
I'd think about laminating some S-glass tape along the boom over the
crack. Cheaper than a weld shop, unless you know the guy.

Whatever you do , DO NOT INSERT PIPE INSIDE THE BOOM!

uh-oh, You're going to get double-putzed now.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Vito

"Jeff Dowder" wrote in message
k.net...
I've got a small surface crack appearing in the center of my boom. The

yard
says I should drill a hole in each end of it to stop it from spreading....

Drill the holes - it works.

Horvath

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:37:10 -0500, DSK wrote
this crap:

They're right about relieveing the stress, this technique is fairly
common. But drilling holes at the ends of the crack are not going to do
anything about the stress which caused the crack in the first place.

You are a ****ing moron. He should replace the boom. you already
know it, but you don't have the balls to say it.

This post is 100% free of steroids

Capt. Neal®

"Horvath" wrote about that weenie DSK...

You are a ****ing moron. He should replace the boom. you already
know it, but you don't have the balls to say it.

Or one could cut the boom in two and sleeve it or insert pipes like
I did in my boom.

CN
Capt. Neal®

"Capt. Neal®" wrote

Actually, I now realize that my extremely foolish attempt at boom repair was
about as stupid a ting as a sailing newbie could possibly do. I'm keeping my
boom as it is as a lesson to myself. I'm an idiot lubber.

Nelly

Good one BB! Should I become a Katysails netcop and report you for
abuse. Nah! You're not worth the time and you added that extra period.

Besides, I don't report retards who covet their own daughters. I leave that
to the Child Protection agencies to ferret out.

CN

Scott Vernon

"Capt. Neal®" wrote

Or one could cut the boom in two and sleeve it or insert pipes like
I did in my boom.

If one is a , trailer trash, theiving, no account pennyless yokel.

I already warned him KNOT to do this, Neal. You're a day late and a
dollar short, as usual.

SBV

Capt. Neal®

"Scott Vernon" wrote

I already warned him KNOT to do this, Neal. You're a day late and a
dollar short, as usual.

Sorry, but I don't bother reading most of your drivel . . .

CN

Scott Vernon

Gotcha!

"Scott Vernon" wrote