Capt. Neal®

Default Total lack of understanding.

Dear Group and Lurkers,

The usual bunch of babbling buffoons in the group's Peanut Gallery
has been making fun of my well-repaired boom. They include Whining Oz,
Gay Gaynz, JRBadbreath, and Crotchety Ole Thom.

They seem to criticize my sturdy boom on the basis of two things mainly.

1) It is heavy ruining light air performance.
2) It is slightly bent thus ruining sail trim.

They cannot claim it is weak because it has held up under more than
ten years of hard sailing since I repaired it and it is still far stronger
than the original extrusion was. It is so well sealed that there still is
not a speck of rust or corrosion to be seen.

1) Allow me to debunk the 'heavy' claim. The pipes I used as internal sleeves
weighed a total of ten pounds. This means the boom is ten pounds heavier
than usual. The epoxy I slathered them with when I slid them home with
the help of a 2X6 sealed them and glued them to the boom but the epoxy's
weight is insignificant. Some say this extra ten pound will ruin the sail shape
in light-air sailing. Simply not so, as more than ten pounds of downward
force is placed on the sail when the mainsheet is hauled down as it must
be even in light air. All the slightly heavier boom does is make it slightly
easier to sheet in the mainsail.

2) Allow me to debunk the second claim concerning a slight bend ruining
the shape and trim of the mainsail. Simply not so. Just look how racers
intentionally bend their mainmast with fancy backstay pensioners in
order to flatten their mainsail for better performance. My boom
accomplishes the very same thing because of the bolt rope in the boom
and the shelf foot which closes when the outhaul is tightened. The bend
has no effect upon the sail shape when the outhaul is eased because
then the shelf foot opens up and the sail relaxes along the boom and
foot but when the outhaul is tensioned, the shelf foot closes and the
bolt rope in the boom tends to flatten the sail. This is such an efficient
system that, frankly, I am surprised nobody has thought of it before.
The first racer who decides to use a bent boom and a bolt/rope shelf-
footed sail will do well because he will have a definite advantage over
staid and unoriginal minds (or lack thereof) as demonstrated in the
ignorant individuals listed above.

These two simple explanations demonstrate how lacking in knowledge
everyone except Gilligan is when it comes to knowing what makes a fast
boat like "Cut the Mustard" even faster.

CN
JR Gilbreath

Capt Neal
I DID not make fun of your boom. I pointed out that the picture
of the Hunter was showing a loose footed main that the boom curve
would not affect. I really resent your juvenile misuse of my name.
That shows me more about your character than anything you could ever write.
JR Gilbreath

Capt. Neal® wrote:

[...]

JG

And, worst (or best) of all, he used a HUNTER as a comparison!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

.. .

Capt. Neal® wrote:

[...]

Capt. Neal®

"JR Gilbreath" wrote in message .. .
Capt Neal
I DID not make fun of your boom. I pointed out that the picture
of the Hunter was showing a loose footed main that the boom curve
would not affect. I really resent your juvenile misuse of my name.
That shows me more about your character than anything you could ever write.
JR Gilbreath

But, you should ask yourself, "What does it say about the good Captain's
trolling prowess?" Did you notice how many fish, besides yourself, that
are now flopping around upon my foredeck? All with one simple cast
of a skillfully-baited hook.

CN
JR Gilbreath

Capt Kneel
A good fisherman would have a place to store his catch. There isn't
room on your foredeck for a minnow much less a fish. I wasn't going to
mention it before but your Hong Hong sails look pretty cheap with those
webbings in place of shackles but they do go well with the rest of your
rigging. I just love those anchor lines for halyards. However, I do
think the boat is perfect for you.
JR

Capt. Neal® wrote:

"JR Gilbreath" wrote in message
.. .

Capt Neal
I DID not make fun of your boom. I pointed out that the picture
of the Hunter was showing a loose footed main that the boom curve
would not affect. I really resent your juvenile misuse of my name.
That shows me more about your character than anything you could ever
write.
JR Gilbreath

But, you should ask yourself, "What does it say about the good Captain's
trolling prowess?" Did you notice how many fish, besides yourself, that
are now flopping around upon my foredeck? All with one simple cast
of a skillfully-baited hook.

CN

Capt. Neal®

If you were half as observant as you are critical you would have noticed
that my halyards are wire and rope. The 'anchor line' halyards are three-
strand Dacron for easy eye splicing. They are primarily for wrapping
around the winches as wire tends to be hard on the winch barrels.

Webbing in place of shackles on the sails? Since when do sails have
shackles? Did you mean cringles per chance? Did you not notice the
webbing fastens the reefing point cringles to the sail?

As for my catch, I prefer to kick junk fish right back off the deck
into the water before they stink up the joint.

I hope this helps.

CN

"JR Gilbreath" emoted:

Capt Kneel
A good fisherman would have a place to store his catch. There isn't
room on your foredeck for a minnow much less a fish. I wasn't going to
mention it before but your Hong Hong sails look pretty cheap with those
webbings in place of shackles but they do go well with the rest of your
rigging. I just love those anchor lines for halyards. However, I do
think the boat is perfect for you.
JR

Wally

Capt. Neal® wrote:

... but when the outhaul is tensioned, the shelf foot closes and the
bolt rope in the boom tends to flatten the sail.

Once again, a self-proclaimed old salt embarrasses himself by inviting a
sweet, innocent, fresh-faced n00b to provide an elementary lecture in the
dynamics of the outhaul on a shelf-footed main...

The sail is flattened under outhaul tension due to the direct pull between
tack and clew. When thus tensioned, the surplus material in the shelf foot
sags. Since the shelf is sagging, it imparts no downward pull on the main -
it is slack cloth between the bolt rope and the sail, proper.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com/FiatPandaRally/index.htm

Gilligan

But you are forgetting that the special bend in the good Capt's highly
modified, blue water cruising boom puts the center of the sail in vertical
tension relative to the two ends when the outhaul is tightened.
I can only speculate as to what bottom paint the good Capt uses, for it must
have superior adherent characteristics since his fine yacht easily sails at
hull speed under all conditions.

Gilligan

"Wally" wrote in message
.uk...
Capt. Neal® wrote:

... but when the outhaul is tensioned, the shelf foot closes and the
bolt rope in the boom tends to flatten the sail.

Once again, a self-proclaimed old salt embarrasses himself by inviting a
sweet, innocent, fresh-faced n00b to provide an elementary lecture in the
dynamics of the outhaul on a shelf-footed main...

The sail is flattened under outhaul tension due to the direct pull between
tack and clew. When thus tensioned, the surplus material in the shelf foot
sags. Since the shelf is sagging, it imparts no downward pull on the

main -
it is slack cloth between the bolt rope and the sail, proper.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com/FiatPandaRally/index.htm
www.wally.myby.co.uk

Capt. Neal®

Wally, you certainly are not the sharpest tool in the shed!

Your contention that the shelf 'sags' when the outhaul
is tensioned does not occur in real life. I guess you have
never sailed a yacht that uses a proper shelf-footed sail.

More on why your comments make little or no sense.

When the outhaul is tensioned so the shelf foot is collapsed
then what would be the foot (if the shelf were suddenly removed)
becomes taut, as does the shelf itself, since the shelf is not removed
in fact but still attached to the taut foot. Therefore, it follows
that the shelf still exerts a downward force on the taut foot
(the part of the sail the shelf is attached to). This imparted force
is along the entire length of the boom so the sail is flattened just
as if you were looking at the luff of a mainsail that is stretched along
the length of a bent mast under tension from an hydraulic backstay
tensioner. After all, does not the luff of a mainsail mimic a shelf
foot in that it is cupped for aerodynamics?

What has happened to the minds of young people these days
in that they cannot envision simple concepts in their heads?
That which is second-nature to the likes of myself and
Gilligan seems foreign to the Television-addicted generation
of today, a generation totally bereft of imagination.

CN

"Wally" wrote in message .uk...
Capt. Neal® wrote:

... but when the outhaul is tensioned, the shelf foot closes and the
bolt rope in the boom tends to flatten the sail.

Once again, a self-proclaimed old salt embarrasses himself by inviting a
sweet, innocent, fresh-faced n00b to provide an elementary lecture in the
dynamics of the outhaul on a shelf-footed main...

The sail is flattened under outhaul tension due to the direct pull between
tack and clew. When thus tensioned, the surplus material in the shelf foot
sags. Since the shelf is sagging, it imparts no downward pull on the main -
it is slack cloth between the bolt rope and the sail, proper.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com/FiatPandaRally/index.htm
www.wally.myby.co.uk

Clive Cussler novel. N.L. Eckert General 45 December 7th 04 08:30 PM
Hood Canal pumpout (lack of) Steve Cruising 1 May 7th 04 01:11 AM
Total cost of Skip's boat chris Cruising 20 December 18th 03 01:38 PM
Asatru resources Nik ASA 0 September 19th 03 03:31 PM
does anybody here really know? Bill Andersen General 33 August 18th 03 07:09 AM