Wally

Default The official time

71 hours, 14 hours, 18 mins, 33 seconds

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com
www.wally.myby.co.uk

Wally

Wally wrote:
71 hours, 14 hours, 18 mins, 33 seconds

71 days!

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com
www.wally.myby.co.uk

DSK

Wally wrote:
71 hours, 14 hours, 18 mins, 33 seconds

Well congratulations to her. Setting that record is quite a feat. Just
getting to the point of starting out with a boat & gear capable of
attempting the record is an accomplishment, getting the boat around the
world without major mishap takes great skill & a tremendous amount of
work... and she gets the reward of setting the record. She deserves the
accolade!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Capt. Neal®

The official crime:

MacArthur's journey began Nov. 28.
Since then, she has slept an average
of 30 minutes at a time and four hours
in any day.

In other words she did not comply with
the COLREGS where it states the following:

Rule 5
Look-out
Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper
look-out by sight as well as by hearing as well
as by all available means appropriate in the
prevailing circumstances and conditions so as
to make a full appraisal of the situation and
of the risk of collision.

She should be arrested!

CN

"Wally" wrote in message k...
71 hours, 14 hours, 18 mins, 33 seconds

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com
www.wally.myby.co.uk

Remco Moedt

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 19:59:05 -0500, =?Windows-1252?Q?Capt._Neal=AE?=
wrote:

The official crime:

MacArthur's journey began Nov. 28.
Since then, she has slept an average
of 30 minutes at a time and four hours
in any day.

In other words she did not comply with
the COLREGS where it states the following:

Rule 5
Look-out
Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper
look-out by sight as well as by hearing as well
as by all available means appropriate in the
prevailing circumstances and conditions so as
to make a full appraisal of the situation and
of the risk of collision.

She should be arrested!

AFAIK the COLREGS only apply to American waters (correct me when I'm
wrong, but somehow I've a feeling I don't need to ask this g)

Cheers!

Remco

Jeff Morris

Sorry, they are international rules. The US has a slightly modified
version for inland waters. From the introduction to the US edition:

INTRODUCTION
International Rules
The International Rules in this book were formalized in the
Convention on the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions
at Sea, 1972, and became effective on July 15, 1977. The Rules
(commonly called 72 COLREGS) are part of the Convention, and
vessels flying the flags of states ratifying the treaty are bound to the
Rules. The United States has ratified this treaty and all United States
flag vessels must adhere to these Rules where applicable. President
Gerald R. Ford proclaimed 72 COLREGS and the Congress adopted
them as the International Navigational Rules Act of 1977.
The 72 COLREGS were developed by the Inter-Governmental
Maritime Consultative Organization (IMCO) which in May 1982 was
renamed the International Maritime Organization (IMO). In November
1981, IMO’s Assembly adopted 55 amendments to the 72 COLREGS
which became effective on June 1, 1983. The IMO also adopted 9
more amendments which became effective on November 19, 1989.
The International Rules in this book contain these amendments.
These Rules are applicable on waters outside of established navigational
lines of demarcation. The lines are called COLREGS
Demarcation Lines and delineate those waters upon which mariners
shall comply with the Inland and International Rules. COLREGS
Demarcation Lines are contained in this book.

And single handers have been held liable when their lack of a lookout is
the cause of a collision.
Here's the court ruling from such a case:
http://207.41.17.117/ISYSquery/IRLF610.tmp/1/doc

wrote:

The official crime:

MacArthur's journey began Nov. 28.
Since then, she has slept an average
of 30 minutes at a time and four hours
in any day.

In other words she did not comply with
the COLREGS where it states the following:

Rule 5
Look-out
Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper
look-out by sight as well as by hearing as well
as by all available means appropriate in the
prevailing circumstances and conditions so as
to make a full appraisal of the situation and
of the risk of collision.

She should be arrested!

AFAIK the COLREGS only apply to American waters (correct me when I'm
wrong, but somehow I've a feeling I don't need to ask this g)

Cheers!

Remco

Remco Moedt

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 07:53:25 -0500, Jeff Morris
wrote:

Sorry, they are international rules. The US has a slightly modified
version for inland waters. From the introduction to the US edition:

Ah, ok, thanks. So, the American offshore rules are the same as
COLREGS?

Cheers!

Remco

Snip

Capt. Mooron

"Remco Moedt" wrote in message

Ah, ok, thanks. So, the American offshore rules are the same as
COLREGS?

Here Remco... this site should clarify a few things for you.

http://tinylink.com/?HCzbtVNb1O

CM

Jeff Morris

wrote:

Sorry, they are international rules. The US has a slightly modified
version for inland waters. From the introduction to the US edition:

Ah, ok, thanks. So, the American offshore rules are the same as
COLREGS?

Yes, the Colregs apply everywhere (for the countries that signed up,
which is just about all of them). They are allowed minor variations in
coastal waters, which some countries, such as the US and Canada, have
implemented. The significant differences concern towing barges on
rivers. The only major difference in the US Inland Rules that affect
boats is that the rules concerning "constrained by draft" have been
eliminated in the US version.
Remco Moedt

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 13:45:10 GMT, "Capt. Mooron"
wrote:

Heya CM,

"Remco Moedt" wrote in message

Ah, ok, thanks. So, the American offshore rules are the same as
COLREGS?

Here Remco... this site should clarify a few things for you.

http://tinylink.com/?HCzbtVNb1O

Thanks for the link. However, it's not the rules, it's the origin of
the rules I wonder about.

Cheers!

Remco

Bwahaha! Bye Bye Bushy! Bobsprit ASA 1 June 18th 04 10:37 PM
Why I don't Buy Boating/Fishing Gear at Wal-Mart Don White General 4 April 4th 04 06:18 PM