Remco Moedt

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 08:52:45 -0500, Jeff Morris
wrote:

Remco Moedt wrote:
On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 07:53:25 -0500, Jeff Morris
wrote:

Sorry, they are international rules. The US has a slightly modified
version for inland waters. From the introduction to the US edition:

Ah, ok, thanks. So, the American offshore rules are the same as
COLREGS?

Yes, the Colregs apply everywhere (for the countries that signed up,
which is just about all of them). They are allowed minor variations in
coastal waters, which some countries, such as the US and Canada, have
implemented. The significant differences concern towing barges on
rivers. The only major difference in the US Inland Rules that affect
boats is that the rules concerning "constrained by draft" have been
eliminated in the US version.

Thanks Jeff, that does clarify the matter for me. Apparently the Dutch
rules, in short named BVA, are actually the COLREGS. Strange thing is
that I never saw it mentioned when BVA was discussed.

Since the Dutch always talk about BVA, and you guys/gals here always
refer to the COLREGS, I assumed the COLREGS was an American thing.

Cheers!

Remco

Donal

"Remco Moedt" wrote in message

AFAIK the COLREGS only apply to American waters (correct me when I'm
wrong, but somehow I've a feeling I don't need to ask this g)

Oh dear!! We've got another one who didn't study geography at school.

The International Collregs are not related to the "World Series".

Believe it or not, the international regulations actually apply to waters
that are not officially under US jurisdiction. Please don't tell GWB about
this.

Regards

Donal

Remco Moedt

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:42:00 -0000, "Donal"
wrote:

"Remco Moedt" wrote in message

AFAIK the COLREGS only apply to American waters (correct me when I'm
wrong, but somehow I've a feeling I don't need to ask this g)

Oh dear!! We've got another one who didn't study geography at school.

I don't see what geography has to do with it.

The International Collregs are not related to the "World Series".

Hehe

Believe it or not, the international regulations actually apply to waters
that are not officially under US jurisdiction.

I do understand that now. My problem was that I didn't understand if
the COLREGS was the American variant of the international rules (like
BVA (Bepalingen ter voorkoming van aanvaring op zee) in the
Netherlands), or the international rules itself. Jeff cleared that up
for me.

Please don't tell GWB about this.

Of course not!

Cheers!

Remco

Jeff Morris

wrote:

"Remco Moedt" wrote in message

AFAIK the COLREGS only apply to American waters (correct me when I'm
wrong, but somehow I've a feeling I don't need to ask this g)

Oh dear!! We've got another one who didn't study geography at school.

I don't see what geography has to do with it.

The International Collregs are not related to the "World Series".

Hehe

Believe it or not, the international regulations actually apply to waters
that are not officially under US jurisdiction.

I do understand that now. My problem was that I didn't understand if
the COLREGS was the American variant of the international rules (like
BVA (Bepalingen ter voorkoming van aanvaring op zee) in the
Netherlands), or the international rules itself. Jeff cleared that up
for me.

Actually, the "ColRegs" are the International rules - that's how the IMO
(International Maritime Organization) refers to them, though some
countries have different names. The local rules in the US are called
the "Inland Rules." The two set of rules are 95% the same.
Maxprop

"Donal" wrote in message news:cugrcr$58e$1

Believe it or not, the international regulations actually apply to waters
that are not officially under US jurisdiction. Please don't tell GWB
about
this.

All waters are under US jurisdiction. One never knows where a boomer is
lurking at any particular time, does one. g

Max

Donal

wrote:

"Remco Moedt" wrote in message

AFAIK the COLREGS only apply to American waters (correct me when I'm
wrong, but somehow I've a feeling I don't need to ask this g)

Oh dear!! We've got another one who didn't study geography at school.

I don't see what geography has to do with it.

My apologies!!

I incorrectly assumed that only an American would think that the COLREGS
(International Regulations for the Prevention of Collisions at Sea) only
applied to American waters.

Regards

Donal

Thom Stewart

Neal,

If she committed a crime and you're a certified captain, Why haven't you
pressed charges against her? Talk is cheap. Can you prove what you're
saying? If she truly was illegal, press charges

Ole Thom

Maxprop

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message

Neal,

If she committed a crime and you're a certified captain, Why haven't you
pressed charges against her? Talk is cheap. Can you prove what you're
saying? If she truly was illegal, press charges

Heh, heh . . . . you've made a couple of assumptions here, Thom. First,
that the "Captain" is indeed a captain, and second, that any court in any
land would uphold such charges without making him who brought such charges a
laughing stock.

Max

Thom Stewart

True Max,

An awful lot of interpretation of Colregs is a laughable situation.

OT

Maxprop

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message

True Max,

An awful lot of interpretation of Colregs is a laughable situation.

If they were strictly enforced, no single-handed circumnavigation would be
permitted.

Max

Bwahaha! Bye Bye Bushy! Bobsprit ASA 1 June 18th 04 10:37 PM
Why I don't Buy Boating/Fishing Gear at Wal-Mart Don White General 4 April 4th 04 06:18 PM