Maxprop

"JG" wrote in message
This was on the first day. When we went from Cooper to the Bitter End, the
wind increased to 15 kts, with a few white caps. Our boat speed was just
under 12 kts on a close haul for this leg, and we regularly saw boat
speeds in the 9 kts. range. The highest wind speed we saw was on the
Cooper to BE leg.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...62992639MyjMme

What a nice vacation! There was rain, but it never seemed to rain on us.

The boat was pretty good... an Athena 38... pointed well, with the sweet
spot at about 45 degrees.

Nice photos, Jon. Looks like a great trip. And before you ask: of course
I'm jealous. g

Max

DSK

Maxprop wrote:
You two sure have a lot of clothing on in this photo.

Well, we've been married a few years now...

... Was it really that
cool?

Of course. Oh wait, you mean the temps... it was cloudy & cool when we
were there, highs in the low 70s (22 C) at most. Some of the nights got
into the 50s (14 C).

Personally, due to a lack of interest in becoming a skin cancer research
project, I always cover up in the tropics. That's why the long sleeves &
hat for Laser racing.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

DSK

"JG" wrote
I believe I saw a mono at their dock that did have one, but don't quote me.
I personally don't like them and wouldn't use them if there was a chance of
higher wind speeds. I don't like the in-boom systems either. Seems like a
lot to go wrong and no way to fix it quickly, unlike a jib furler, for
which you could drop halyard if necessary.

With the in-boom furlers, at least you can drop the sail if there's a
problem. With in-mast furlers, you have to hoist somebody up the mast to
cut the thing away. And yes, the spindles *do* bend & jam from time to
time. Guess when it tends to happen....

John Cairns wrote:
I still can't honestly say if I like them or not. I do believe they hurt
performance, but you have to admit they are the height of luxury.

No I don't. Full battens with a stack pack, lazyjacks, and a solid vang
are about 90% as easy to handle and have 'way 'way better performance in
every respect. I've sailed a couple of boats with in-mast furlers, two
of them long term.

... I'm
guessing that TMM dropped theirs because owners started to bitch about the
expense. Saw this in San Sal, in mast furling AND electric winches,
positively decadent! Bristol 45.5

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...29752889EEUQzM

It's a pretty boat, too.

IMHO people that don't want to be bothered with all the "work" of
sailing should get a trawler.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

JG

It was cool in the evenings. A couple of days it was in the mid-70s during
the day.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Maxprop" wrote in message
k.net...

"DSK" wrote in message

The classic motorsailer just behind my head in this picture

You two sure have a lot of clothing on in this photo. Was it really that
cool?

Max

DSK

JG wrote:
We got on the plane home on the 28th. I recognize the large yacht stern to
at the dock.

Did you see how the illuminated letters on the transom slowly change
color? That was cool... sort of reminiscent of a "boom car" but if I
ever own a megayacht, it'll have to have that feature...

... We were definitely there within a few days of that picture. Had
many drinks at the bar just "below" the white yacht in the pic. There was a
small dinghy dock right in front of the bar.

During the days we were either sailing or snorkeling. That pic was taken
on the one morning we did neither, and hiked up the hill(s). Evenings we
were hanging out at the clubhouse on the other end of the walk. Some
nights they had a steel drum band.

Was this your first visit to the BVI and the Bitter End?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

JG

Yes, I can see that boom furling might be better. It makes for a thick boom
though... well, either way I guess.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

John Cairns wrote:
I still can't honestly say if I like them or not. I do believe they hurt
performance, but you have to admit they are the height of luxury.

No I don't. Full battens with a stack pack, lazyjacks, and a solid vang
are about 90% as easy to handle and have 'way 'way better performance in
every respect. I've sailed a couple of boats with in-mast furlers, two of
them long term.

... I'm guessing that TMM dropped theirs because owners started to bitch
about the expense. Saw this in San Sal, in mast furling AND electric
winches, positively decadent! Bristol 45.5

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...29752889EEUQzM

It's a pretty boat, too.

IMHO people that don't want to be bothered with all the "work" of sailing
should get a trawler.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

DSK

JG wrote:
I was amazed by the performance of the boat. I was thinking that it would be
a condoram, but it sailed nicely and was at least equal to a 47 mono on a
close haul for speed.

Oh baloney. We sailed BEYC's Express 37 (named 'Cosmis Warlord') twice
and hit double digit speeds. It goes 8+ knots close hauled in 10 knot winds.

... It didn't point quite as well, but within a few
degrees of the mono we were playing with on the way to Anegada.

There was another cat (I believe it was a Mooring 4500) that also went to
Anegada at the same time. They never did more than close reach and had a
much longer course, but we only beat them by about a 1/2 hour.

I wouldn't have asked if you were jealous. :-)

I'd like a chance to sail on some of the big cats, but the more
performance oriented ones attract me more. As more of the charter cats
obsolesce out of the charter fleet, the prices are coming down & we'll
see more of them cruising. It's probably easier to get the performance
out of them than a fast monohull, but they're still not fast when
compared to a fast monohull. Compared to an Out Island? Sure, but why?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

JG

Actually, it was my 6th trip. I've been to Anegada 4 times, but to the BE
all 6. We had bad weather for the Anegada trip the other 2.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"DSK" wrote in message
JG wrote:
We got on the plane home on the 28th. I recognize the large yacht stern
to at the dock.

Did you see how the illuminated letters on the transom slowly change
color? That was cool... sort of reminiscent of a "boom car" but if I ever
own a megayacht, it'll have to have that feature...

... We were definitely there within a few days of that picture. Had many
drinks at the bar just "below" the white yacht in the pic. There was a
small dinghy dock right in front of the bar.

During the days we were either sailing or snorkeling. That pic was taken
on the one morning we did neither, and hiked up the hill(s). Evenings we
were hanging out at the clubhouse on the other end of the walk. Some
nights they had a steel drum band.

Was this your first visit to the BVI and the Bitter End?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Horvath

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:19:11 -0800, "JG" wrote
this crap:

This was on the first day. When we went from Cooper to the Bitter End, the
wind increased to 15 kts, with a few white caps. Our boat speed was just
under 12 kts on a close haul for this leg, and we regularly saw boat speeds
in the 9 kts. range. The highest wind speed we saw was on the Cooper to BE
leg.
The boat was pretty good... an Athena 38... pointed well, with the sweet
spot at about 45 degrees.

Now you finally know what a real sailboat is like.

JG

Listen twerp, you wouldn't know a real sailboat if it kissed you on your
girly tits. Your piece of crap hunter is too much boat for you, that's for
sure.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Horvath" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:19:11 -0800, "JG" wrote
this crap:

This was on the first day. When we went from Cooper to the Bitter End, the
wind increased to 15 kts, with a few white caps. Our boat speed was just
under 12 kts on a close haul for this leg, and we regularly saw boat
speeds
in the 9 kts. range. The highest wind speed we saw was on the Cooper to BE
leg.
The boat was pretty good... an Athena 38... pointed well, with the sweet
spot at about 45 degrees.

Now you finally know what a real sailboat is like.

Radar Return Anomaly. Richard P. Cruising 9 January 22nd 05 05:58 AM
What does MIT say about ionization and lightning?? JAXAshby ASA 70 August 25th 04 09:47 PM
Capt. Neal's return Joe ASA 3 June 17th 04 12:22 AM
Return My Fender Bobsprit ASA 0 November 30th 03 02:40 PM
Perkins 108-4 Fuel Return question Ken Coit Cruising 4 July 28th 03 08:33 PM