Scott Vernon

"DSK" wrote in message
Scott Vernon wrote:
There was a study done at Princeton in the '80s that found the

further
away from the equator, the dumber the Country.

That's baloney. Just look at South Carolina!

Did they secede? again?

DSK

That's baloney. Just look at South Carolina!

Scott Vernon wrote:
Did they secede? again?

The Union had it's fingers crossed behind it's back when they readmitted SC

DSK

Bart Senior

I recently learned that in-mast furling has dropped
dramatically in production boats over the last 10
years.

If you ever had one fail, then you know what a
headache that can be.

I predict we will see innovative new products for
in-boom sail storage in the near future.

"JG" wrote
Yes, I can see that boom furling might be better. It makes for a thick
boom though... well, either way I guess.

"DSK" wrote

"JG" wrote
I believe I saw a mono at their dock that did have one, but don't quote
me. I personally don't like them and wouldn't use them if there was a
chance of higher wind speeds. I don't like the in-boom systems either.
Seems like a lot to go wrong and no way to fix it quickly, unlike a jib
furler, for which you could drop halyard if necessary.

With the in-boom furlers, at least you can drop the sail if there's a
problem. With in-mast furlers, you have to hoist somebody up the mast to
cut the thing away. And yes, the spindles *do* bend & jam from time to
time. Guess when it tends to happen....

John Cairns wrote:
I still can't honestly say if I like them or not. I do believe they hurt
performance, but you have to admit they are the height of luxury.

No I don't. Full battens with a stack pack, lazyjacks, and a solid vang
are about 90% as easy to handle and have 'way 'way better performance in
every respect. I've sailed a couple of boats with in-mast furlers, two of
them long term.

... I'm guessing that TMM dropped theirs because owners started to bitch
about the expense. Saw this in San Sal, in mast furling AND electric
winches, positively decadent! Bristol 45.5

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...29752889EEUQzM

It's a pretty boat, too.

IMHO people that don't want to be bothered with all the "work" of sailing
should get a trawler.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

JG

I'm not even sure what you could do if the furler failed in the unfurled
position. Do the manufacturer's even mention what to do?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

John Cairns wrote:
I still can't honestly say if I like them or not. I do believe they
hurt performance, but you have to admit they are the height of luxury.

No I don't. Full battens with a stack pack, lazyjacks, and a solid vang
are about 90% as easy to handle and have 'way 'way better performance in
every respect. I've sailed a couple of boats with in-mast furlers, two
of them long term.

... I'm guessing that TMM dropped theirs because owners started to
bitch about the expense. Saw this in San Sal, in mast furling AND
electric winches, positively decadent! Bristol 45.5

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...29752889EEUQzM

It's a pretty boat, too.

IMHO people that don't want to be bothered with all the "work" of
sailing should get a trawler.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

John Cairns

"JG" wrote in message
I'm not even sure what you could do if the furler failed in the unfurled
position. Do the manufacturer's even mention what to do?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Same thing as a roller furling headsail. Release the halyard, drop the sail.
I could see having objections due to performance issues, the rest sounds
somewhat bogus.

John Cairns

John Cairns wrote:
I still can't honestly say if I like them or not. I do believe they
hurt performance, but you have to admit they are the height of luxury.

No I don't. Full battens with a stack pack, lazyjacks, and a solid vang
are about 90% as easy to handle and have 'way 'way better performance
in every respect. I've sailed a couple of boats with in-mast furlers,
two of them long term.

... I'm guessing that TMM dropped theirs because owners started to
bitch about the expense. Saw this in San Sal, in mast furling AND
electric winches, positively decadent! Bristol 45.5

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...29752889EEUQzM

It's a pretty boat, too.

IMHO people that don't want to be bothered with all the "work" of
sailing should get a trawler.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Bart Senior

It happened to me. I tried to furl it and then unfurl it.

After about 30 tries it came free.

"JG" wrote

I'm not even sure what you could do if the furler failed in the unfurled
position. Do the manufacturer's even mention what to do?

Radar Return Anomaly. Richard P. Cruising 9 January 22nd 05 05:58 AM
What does MIT say about ionization and lightning?? JAXAshby ASA 70 August 25th 04 09:47 PM
Capt. Neal's return Joe ASA 3 June 17th 04 12:22 AM
Return My Fender Bobsprit ASA 0 November 30th 03 02:40 PM
Perkins 108-4 Fuel Return question Ken Coit Cruising 4 July 28th 03 08:33 PM