Bob Crantz

Default Something Rotten in Denmark

Some workers at a warehouse in Fredrikstad had a mess on their hands last
week, after a production mistake caused 1,650 cans of mackerel in tomato
sauce to literally explode.

Canned mackerel filets in tomato sauce are a dietary staple for many
Norwegians. While part of the national heritage, the product is also fondly
ridiculed at times and nicknamed "plane crash" because of the silvery fish's
appearance in the red sauce when opened.

Food producer Stabburet always uses a heating technique in the canning
process to help preserve the fish, but somehow, the 1,650 cans that blew up
missed out.

That meant the fish started rotting in the cans, which in turn set off gases
that caused the cans to swell until they eventually burst.

"It was a highly unfortunate accident," Robert Rønning of Stabburet told VG.

Extra crews had to be called in to help clean up the stinky mess inside
Stabburet's warenhouse. Rønning stressed that none of the faulty cans ever
reached grocery stores.

Bart Senior

Rotten herring is commonly eaten in Sweden. I tried it once.
It was awful. You have to open the swollen cans underwater,
and outside, because it smells very bad.

"Bob Crantz" wrote
[...]

katysails

They're dyed in the wool Lutherans up there...more likely not....

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 03:34:12 GMT, "katysails"
scribbled thusly:

Probably like that lutefisk (sp) crap they eat in Minnesota....fish
preserved in lye...yum yum...

Yep, probably very similar....though it's hardly 'preserved' more like
'pre digested'

They probably eat it with Vodka and beer in Minnesota :-)

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

katysails

That was my point....they're an odd bunch up there...Do you guys ever get
the radio show "Prairie Home Companion" down there by Garrison Keillor? It
explains everything...

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 03:42:21 GMT, "katysails"
scribbled thusly:

They're dyed in the wool Lutherans up there...more likely not....

Gawd....then it would be inedible :-)

OzOne wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 03:34:12 GMT, "katysails"
scribbled thusly:

Probably like that lutefisk (sp) crap they eat in Minnesota....fish
preserved in lye...yum yum...

Yep, probably very similar....though it's hardly 'preserved' more like
'pre digested'

They probably eat it with Vodka and beer in Minnesota :-)

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Capt. Neal®

"katysails" wrote in message ...
That was my point....they're an odd bunch up there...Do you guys ever get
the radio show "Prairie Home Companion" down there by Garrison Keillor? It
explains everything...

Nothing but a bunch of liberal claptrap. Garrison had his day back in the sixties.
He is now officially a dinosaur.

CN
katysails

Yeah? Well that dinosaur commands enough attention that it takes a year to
get tickets for his show...

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

"katysails" wrote in message
That was my point....they're an odd bunch up there...Do you guys ever get
the radio show "Prairie Home Companion" down there by Garrison Keillor?
It explains everything...

Nothing but a bunch of liberal claptrap. Garrison had his day back in the
sixties.
He is now officially a dinosaur.

CN

OT : Boobsie will crap rotten eggs and cabbage Joe ASA 85 December 14th 04 03:28 AM
Question bout caulking and rotten planks Jason Boat Building 3 June 16th 04 02:13 AM
Old Four Winns Flooring rotten Craven General 2 June 13th 04 09:04 PM
Denmark G. Webster Tall Ships 2 April 27th 04 04:55 PM