John Cairns

Default OT-Heritage Foundation disses Bush

Economic freedom is the measure of the roadblocks governments put in place
that prevent their citizens from achieving success. Not surprisingly,
countries with the greatest economic freedom enjoy strong economic growth.
Unfree countries, conversely, do not.

Long a symbol of economic prosperity, America for the first time no longer
ranks among the top 10 free nations of the world, according to The 2005
Index of Economic Freedom, just released by the Heritage Foundation and the
Wall Street Journal.

Now in its 11th edition, the Index is the most up-to-date and comprehensive
source of data on taxes, tariffs, regulations, monetary policy, and the
burden of government around the world.

Out-of-control government spending is partly to blame for America's
standing, but so is competition, writes Heritage's Marc Miles in his
introduction. "The U.S. is resting on its laurels," he explains, "while
innovative countries around the world are changing their approaches and
reducing roadblocks."

The U.S. must make a choice, concludes Miles. "Is it to remain the symbol of
economic freedom in the world that was, or is it going to take the steps
needed to regain the leadership in the world that is and will be?"

http://www.heritage.org/research/features/index/

All thanks to junior!

John Cairns

thunder

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 21:57:35 +0000, John Cairns wrote:

Economic freedom is the measure of the roadblocks governments put in place
that prevent their citizens from achieving success. Not surprisingly,
countries with the greatest economic freedom enjoy strong economic growth.
Unfree countries, conversely, do not.

Long a symbol of economic prosperity, America for the first time no longer
ranks among the top 10 free nations of the world, according to The 2005
Index of Economic Freedom, just released by the Heritage Foundation and
the Wall Street Journal.

We are still some ways from the "Land of the Once Free", but our direction
is clear.

http://www.rsf.fr/article.php3?id_article=4116
Overproof

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 21:57:35 GMT, "John Cairns"
said:

Long a symbol of economic prosperity, America for the first time no longer
ranks among the top 10 free nations of the world, according to The 2005
Index of Economic Freedom, just released by the Heritage Foundation and
the
Wall Street Journal.

I saw the report, and was surprised by it. One has to wonder about a
report
that puts the UK and Denmark above the US in economic freedom.

Come on Dave... you guys are on a regular diet of orange and yellow
alerts..... most of your freedoms have been revoked for national
security..... you have everything to fear from fear itself.
You have collectively allowed your governments to interfere in the affairs
of other nations out of greed and self interest masked under the banner of
providing democracy and freedom to all. Then you have as a nation paid the
price for their actions.

You are so removed from the path you once undertook and you believe the
fools leading you know the way. We have way more freedom here in Canada than
you folks do.

CM

John Cairns

said:

Long a symbol of economic prosperity, America for the first time no longer
ranks among the top 10 free nations of the world, according to The 2005
Index of Economic Freedom, just released by the Heritage Foundation and
the
Wall Street Journal.

I saw the report, and was surprised by it. One has to wonder about a
report
that puts the UK and Denmark above the US in economic freedom.

And what would one wonder about? You know, there are still real
conservatives in the US, most of whom are appalled by the Bush
administration's economic policies, among other things.

John Cairns

Bart Senior

I didn't see anything about gun ownership. If you factor that in, the US
would move
back up to number 1.

"John Cairns" wrote

[...]

Overproof

You can't realistically base the degree of freedom on the right to carry a
deadly weapon.... no matter how much I agree with the fact that freedom to
carry should be available..... it's the will of the majority that denotes a
democratic state.

You do have the right to move to an area that allows it..... but that area
may require to sacrifice other freedoms to allow the one you seek.

CM

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
[...]

Overproof

Rick wrote in message

I was unaware that the United States was a democracy. When was that
changed?

Sorry... I meant to say a Dictatorship run by the Corporate Elite.

CM

Bob Crantz

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more
efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote
welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to
repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones
that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed in their purpose,
or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not
attempt to discover whether legislation is "needed" before I have first
determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later
be attacked for neglecting my constituents' "interests," I shall reply that
I was informed their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am
doing the very best I can.

Barry Goldwater

Amen!

"Overproof" wrote in message

Rick wrote in message

I was unaware that the United States was a democracy. When was that
changed?

Sorry... I meant to say a Dictatorship run by the Corporate Elite.

CM

Overproof

I concur..... Libertarian is the way of the future if we are to survive.

CM

ink.net...

Rick wrote in message

I was unaware that the United States was a democracy. When was that
changed?

Sorry... I meant to say a Dictatorship run by the Corporate Elite.

CM

More bad news for Bush, good news for Americans John Smith General 7 June 25th 04 05:10 PM
A truly great man! John Cairns ASA 24 December 4th 03 05:20 PM
Bush Resume Bobsprit ASA 21 September 14th 03 11:22 PM