Aniculapeter

Default Did Australia move ?

I heard that the island of Sumatra has moved 35 meter.

Is or was there any anomalies in GPS positioning on the "Australian
Plate"?
Is it regulated by the satellites ?
As far as I can guess, a datum change would be necessary ?

Does anybody know any reliable sources for answers to these questions ?

Peter S/Y Anicula

Capt. Neal®

Understand this. Not just isolated islands moved. The entire tectonic plate
in the area of the quake subsumed and everything on this plate moved along
with the plate. If the tectonic plate moved three meters then Australia
moved three meters provided the whole of Australia is on that plate.

Pate tectonics are not hard to understand. Since Pangea plates have moved.
Over the millennia Pangea broke up into the continents we see today which are
pretty evenly spaced around the globe.

CN

"Aniculapeter" wrote in message ...
I heard that the island of Sumatra has moved 35 meter.

Is or was there any anomalies in GPS positioning on the "Australian
Plate"?
Is it regulated by the satellites ?
As far as I can guess, a datum change would be necessary ?

Does anybody know any reliable sources for answers to these questions ?

Peter S/Y Anicula

Aniculapeter

You didn't answer any of my questions.

There were only a earth quake in the western end of the plate.
The north part of New Zealand is on the same tectonic plate as Sumatra, but
not on the same tectonic plate as the southern part, and I think it would
not have gone unnoticed if half of the Northern Island (Auckland) had moved
36 meter relative to the other half (Wellington). (yes they are on different
tectonic plates).
So I can't see that it is simply the matter of the hole plate moving 36
meters.

Anyway my question was about the consequences for navigating the area, using
GPS.

I also find it interesting to find out how the whole plate moved, but I
can't se that it could be as simple as you suggest.

Does any of our colleagues down under se any change in their GPS positions ?

Peter S/Y Anicula

Capt. Neal® skrev i en
[...]

Overproof

Look you closet geologists...... if the friggin continent of Australia or
any related tectonic plate subduction resulted in a land mass move of that
severity in such a small time frame.... we'd be facing much greater
cataclysmic disturbances than an oceanic shock wave.

35 meters?...... Not! Hell... even the severest case of isostatic rebound
doesn't amount to more than a centimeter every century.

[...]

?

Peter S/Y Anicula

Capt. Neal® skrev i en
[...]

Donal

"Aniculapeter" wrote in message
I heard that the island of Sumatra has moved 35 meter.

Is or was there any anomalies in GPS positioning on the "Australian
Plate"?
Is it regulated by the satellites ?
As far as I can guess, a datum change would be necessary ?

Does anybody know any reliable sources for answers to these questions ?

A report on the news tonight said that some Islands close to the epicentre
had moved 120 metres.

Regards

Donal

Bob Crantz

Do you realize that Australia is moving at about 250 m/sec?

How fast and far does the earth move as it wobbles on its axis twice a year?

Are you absolutely certain on the isostatic rebound rate?

Amen!

BC

"Overproof" wrote in message
[...]

Bob Crantz

You fool! The isostatic rebound of the Laurentian Shield is quoted as 1-2
cm/yr:

http://travesti.eps.mcgill.ca/~olivi...es/node43.html

Plus there's other rebounds of at least 2 inches per year! If rock had the
coefficient of restitution that you quote there would be no earthquakes over
magnitude 4! You, sir, are no arm chair geologist! Your chair has no arms,
you are a barstool geologist!

Amen!

BC

"Overproof" wrote in message
[...]

Overproof

Isostatic rebound is not uniform.... it is the result of removal of
pressure from Glacial encroachment. It is entirely subject to underlying
geomorphology

No accurate data exists beyond about 50 years ago.... the data is
interpolated from archeological investigation is based on proximity to water
of ancient campsites.

The Laurentian Shield is not undergoing isostatic rebound at the rate you
posted.

If this were so...... we could buy sea frontage and expect our investment
to gain a meter every hundred years. I can assure you nobody has reported
such gains in the last 3 centuries.

The mid Atlantic Ridge is the opposing the subduction of the Pacific plates.

Now cry to your God about how unfair life is and that Creationism is still a
viable explanation of mankind's evolution.

Fanatics!... Phffft!

CM

link.net...

"Overproof" wrote in message
[...]

Overproof

"Donal" wrote in message

"Aniculapeter" wrote in message
I heard that the island of Sumatra has moved 35 meter.

Is or was there any anomalies in GPS positioning on the "Australian
Plate"?
Is it regulated by the satellites ?
As far as I can guess, a datum change would be necessary ?

Does anybody know any reliable sources for answers to these questions ?

A report on the news tonight said that some Islands close to the epicentre
had moved 120 metres.

Do you have any idea of how ridiculous that sounds.??

CM

Did Australia move ? Aniculapeter ASA 0 December 29th 04 10:22 AM
NEW ZEALAND TO AUSTRALIA CREW AVAILABLE NOW Lawrence Crew 0 May 7th 04 07:15 PM
Want to go to Australia - Be Gay! Joe ASA 8 December 21st 03 11:01 PM
Britain, Australia top U.S. in violent crime HUh? ASA 6 November 14th 03 05:50 PM
New sea creatures near Australia Gilligan ASA 38 July 9th 03 03:43 AM