Maxprop

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

Docks and people who store their boats on them are a definite
threat.

Amen to that, bro. Get anywhere near us and you'll get drunk just from
being in the same atmosphere. Dangerous.

Take the Bahamas, for example. The docks draw thieves like
a rotting carcass draws vultures. These thieves eventually
look at anchored boats and attempt to rob them as well.

Doubtful. After stealing all our rum, they'd be too drunk to make that leap
of illogic.

Docks cause a massive outflow of raw sewage because we
all know people on docks just flush their crap overboard.

Sorry, gotta be serious on this one. Not in the Great Lakes. Verboten,
strictly. In fact if you have a Y-valve that isn't wired in the holding
tank position and sealed with a USCG-accepted method, you can be charged,
fined, and your boat confiscated. Our waters are so clean you can see all
the goose feces resting on the bottom.

Docks are a haven for rats, seagulls, stray dogs and
people with criminal backgrounds who want to evade
the law.

Yup. That would be us, fer sure.

Docks are a hurricane hazard because they often break
up and loose and drift down on anchored boats causing
them to be damaged when they otherwise would have been
quite safe.

One can only hope.

Docks are an oily place with people pumping bilge water
and polluting the entire area around the docks.

That's not bilge water--that's vomit. But the alcohol content of the vomit
renders it essentially bacteria-free.

Docks are noisy and uncivilized.

Why do you think we rent slips there? Duh.

Need I continue.

No, you can die tomorrow, if that's what floats your boat. Or is that what
you meant? Oops, sorry.

Max

Maxprop

"katysails" wrote in message

A dock had a pair of mink several years running...they were cute but you

had
to be careful not to get too close...

One scurried down the dock this year, headed for land. Ran right between
Reggie and Niki. Took all we could do to restrain the dogs, lest the toothy
bugger rip 'em to shreds.

Don't have an hurricanes here and they pick up the docks before hard

winter
sets in...

Actually they don't pick them up. At least not at any of the marinas on
White Lake. Occasionally the ice does some damage, but the cost of pulling
docks each year would be far greater than periodic repairs.

Docks are noisy and uncivilized.

I'll give you that one...

Yeah, and I'll bet you miss the hell outta that, doncha?

Max

Maxprop

"katysails" wrote in message

I don't drink rum drinks

Yes, I recall that now. Isn't that why you were banished from A-dock?

Except for rum and diet coke they're full of
sugar...)

Nay, nay, sister. Rum and diet tonic. Dark and Stormy, made with diet
ginger beer. Sipping rum, neat. I could go on for hours. You're talking
to a rumophile here.

and I have a fine cockpit where I can sit if I want...if I want a
lounge chair, I have a POOL WITH LOUNGE CHAIRAS that I can row to if I so
desire (nyah-nyah you don't have a pool)

Well, perhaps not in the same sense as YOU YACHTIES, AT YOUR YACHT CLUB!!!!
But Luke's cockpit scuppers plug up now and then, affording us a nice warm
hot tub, at least until his littlist daughter pees in it and sends us
scrambling.

and she has no
immediately-available neighbors with whom to party while drinking

I belong to a yacht club...get real...

Oh yeah, I forgot. But having an afternoon sherry in Waterford crystal in
the lanai with fellow yachties, all wearing your Bretton Reds and blue serge
blazers, just ain't the same as sloshing rum with buds.

the
aforementioned rum drinks. Those stipulations, alone, qualify her as a
second-class citizen.

Only if you're using the citizenship requirements for A dock...

Requirements? Requirements? We don't need no stinking requirements.

Sailing? Who gives a **** about sailing.

I do...

Please don't tell Neal this, but I really prefer to be on the hook or on a
mooring. And much prefer to be under way, going somewhere. So does Clover.
But I'd hate to disappoint him, he's having such a good time trolling for
dock inhabitants.

Max

Maxprop

wrote in message

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 14:00:30 GMT, "katysails"
wrote:

I don't drink rum drinks Except for rum and diet coke they're full of
sugar...)

Any idea what rum is made out of?

Cane sugar. But properly-distilled rum is extremely dry, meaning the sugar
is completely fermented and any residual sugar is cooked off. Some rums,
like those horrible flavored or "spiced" rums have a dosage, or sugar and
flavors added, but only a complete imbecile would deign to drink them.

Max

Maxprop

"Scout" wrote in message

My little piece of heaven is called N39.63778 W74.21002.

Not any more. I'm entering those coordinates into my GPS as we speak. See
ya soon. Oh, and I'm bringing friends--lots of friends. Like powerboats
and gensets, do ya? Loud stereos and people communicating via hailers?
Sorry.

When I reach the good Captain's age, I hope to have a boat large enough

for
extended voyages.

If you plan to sail solo, a Pacific Seacraft Flicka is large enough for
extended voyages. Many have done so on less. How big a boat do you
envision you'll require?

Max

Maxprop

"katysails" wrote in message

You're right, Scout. What we saw happen over the years was people who

were
sailors turn into people who weren't. (Max is not included in that
group...he does sail...a lot...) The dock lifestyle took over the sailing
lifestyle.

I disagree, Katy. (not about the part about me, however) I think A-dock
has been rife with non-sailors who own sailboats from the get-go. Most
women don't like to sail at all. You and my better half are exceptions to
that rule. And many of the men would never consider throwing the lines in
anything over 15kts. of wind. Most are distinctly fair-weather sailors, and
always have been. There's more interest in keeping one's decks spotless and
adding all the latest electronics and go-fasts than in actually sailing
their boats.

I honestly can't recall anyone who formerly sailed a lot and then mutated
into a dock-bound hound. I'll stand corrected if you can give me an
example.

Max

Maxprop

"Scout" wrote in message

"Scott Vernon" wrote
Is that why you sold your boat?

Exactly!

Let me see if I've got this straight: you love the solitude, the solo
adventure, the self-sufficiency of sailing so much that you are now
boatless?

Okay, I'm confused.

Max

katysails

At Crosswinds Marina in Whitehall, there are three docks, A,B, and C. A is
the notorious party dock, B is where the quieter folks spend their time and
gripe about A dock and C is where the charter fishing boats and vessels over
40 ft usually abide. Has nothing to do wiyth powerboaters, since there
aren't that many of them in the matrina and those that are live peacefully
with the sailing people and oftentime crew.

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
Does 'A' dock mean something special at your marina? At mine, it seems
the bigger ($$$$) boats are on A dock and get smaller as the letter
gets higher. Is this the norm.

My wife asked me one time if A dock meant something. Seems this woman,
wearing tons of jewelry (powerboater?) struck up a conversation with
her and repeatedly mentioned , with emphasis, that they were on A
dock.

Scotty ( E- docker )

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

My entire life isn't defined by a dock with a letter designation.

Well,
okay, maybe it is.

Scout

Sold the boat while I building a new home. I need the cash.
Planning a bigger boat (30-35 ft) later, but must suffer through now to get
there.
Scout

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Scout" wrote in message

"Scott Vernon" wrote
Is that why you sold your boat?

Exactly!

Let me see if I've got this straight: you love the solitude, the solo
adventure, the self-sufficiency of sailing so much that you are now
boatless?

Okay, I'm confused.

Max

katysails

She's fine. She's just been busy.

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

"Capt. Neal®" wrote

Docks are a haven for rats, seagulls, stray dogs and
people with criminal backgrounds who want to evade
the law.

Wonder where Haggy's been?

Scotty