Peter Wiley

In article , Joe
wrote:

Peter Wiley wrote in message
In article , Joe
wrote:

[snip]

But guess it all depends on the price per sheet.

LME has copper at $3246/tonne, nickel at $14255/tonne. 70/30
cupronickel, call it $6500/tonne. A Q&D calc gives me approx 0.3 cubic
metres of metal in an 11m hull of 4mm plate thickness so that'd be 0.3
* 8.9 (Cu is 8930 kg/m3, Ni 8800 kg/m3) * 6500 = $17K for the hull
plate. Minimum since this makes no allowance for cost of rolling etc
etc.

You might be able to afford it but I can't :-)

PDW

Well My buddy at Farmers Copper in Galveston gave me an American
version.

To build a 42 footer like redclouds hull I will need approx 18 sheets
of 3/16 inch and 4 sheets of 1/4 inch and one sheet of 1" for the keel
board.

About 13,000 pounds. With an order of this size I can have it milled
to my specs. And get a super dooper discount... but it still gonna
average 8.20 a pounds. So thats around 106 thousand dollars for hull
deck and cabin material.

That price works out to $18300/ton. About 3X the raw material cost. I
thought the markup would be high.....

Kinda steep.....but you get what you pay for in the long run IMO.
Just look at some of the crap coming off the assembly lines in the 42
footer range. Pay 300K and get junk.

If I ever think of upgrading I might transfer all redclouds current
rigging, sails,engines ect to a spanking new hull of copper nickle.
Perhaps this stepping stone theory of Bobs has some merit.....

Yeah - for you. All Blobby does is buy a bigger boat to impress
ignorant people at the dock. He doesn't live on a boat and he only
sails it when his wife lets him, which is only on occasions a competent
skipper & crew is available.

Can't see what the prob with trading boats or modifying them is,
personally. We're looking at cutting our icebreaker in 2 and adding
another 40' of hold space. Dead easy if you pick the right place to
cut. Of course that's not where we want the extra space....

PDW

Seamanship Question #15 Props Bart Senior ASA 40 November 30th 04 08:41 PM
Seamanship Question #12 Bart Senior ASA 4 July 27th 04 05:10 PM
Seamanship Question #1 Michael ASA 31 July 16th 04 02:18 AM
Seamanship Question 2 pts plus bonus question. Bart Senior ASA 12 November 3rd 03 05:27 PM