Scott Vernon

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
There are several solutions. We typically coil the line around an

unused
winch

but what if the line fell off the winch and into the water, then, when
you start your engine??????

or
put it in a bag designed for that. Or, some boats have tie downs for

that
purpose.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
where?

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
It's not a good way. A good way is to have it properly stowed.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Why? is a good question. For a layout that brings all lines

back
to the
Cockpit, that is a good way to keep loose line out of the way

That is a neat layout of winches. How about telling us about

them,
Scotty?

Ole Thom

Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
Scott Vernon wrote:

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
There are several solutions. We typically coil the line around an

unused
winch

but what if the line fell off the winch and into the water, then, when
you start your engine??????

It's certainly a possibility, but it's more likely that it would come
off the handle don't you think?

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com

Scott Vernon

No. Jon, look at this pic.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/470278.JPG
do you honestly think that coil is going to 'jump' over the winch
handle?

Scotty

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote

It's certainly a possibility, but it's more likely that it would

come
off the handle don't you think?

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com
"If there's no wind, row."

Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
Scott Vernon wrote:
No. Jon, look at this pic.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/470278.JPG
do you honestly think that coil is going to 'jump' over the winch
handle?

Scotty

By itself no. But, if the handle lock suddenly gave it up, it would
go in the water, right?

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com
"If there's no wind, row."

Scott Vernon

Scott Vernon wrote:
No. Jon, look at this pic.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/470278.JPG
do you honestly think that coil is going to 'jump' over the winch
handle?

Scotty

By itself no. But, if the handle lock suddenly gave it up, it would
go in the water, right?

Well, yeah also if an Albatross swooped down and picked up the end and
threw it in the water.....about the same thing.

Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
Scott Vernon wrote:
do you honestly think that coil is going to 'jump' over the winch
handle?

Scotty

By itself no. But, if the handle lock suddenly gave it up, it would
go in the water, right?

Well, yeah also if an Albatross swooped down and picked up the end and
threw it in the water.....about the same thing.

Scott, I've seen locks go on winch handles. One minute you can't get
it undone, then next it comes off with a straight pull.

If you were distracted with other things, I still maintain it could be
a problem. You have a rail right there next to the winch. Why not use
that for the extra line.

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com
"If there's no wind, row."

Scott Vernon

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote

One minute you can't get
it undone, then next it comes off with a straight pull.

If you were distracted with other things, I still maintain an

Albatross
could swoop down and pull the handle straight off.

Thom Stewart

Jon,

Picky, picky!!!!

Read the rest of the report. Would you have let a screwed up lock on a
winch handle ruin that trip?

Use your brain for something more than negative thoughts. Look at that
bank of winches. Do you really think Scotty isn't going to get that
handle out of there. A Jammed handle and a coil of line that size is a
temporary thing. At best!!

Ole Thom

gonefishiing

oh you mean that brown stuff at the skyline...................
it's not pollution
it was put there to make incredible sunsets

gf.

"Nav" wrote in message
Nice pollution!

Cheers