BoatBanter.com

-   -   Fall Sail on the Chesapeake Bay (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/24051-fall-sail-chesapeake-bay.html)

Jonathan Ganz October 19th 04 02:24 AM

Assuming you noticed. If it's an emergency, you might not notice until it
was too late. Also, it's pretty lubberly to have a line trailing in the
water when you don't intend to trail a line.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote ...
Thom, you're not thinking clearly. If you're sailing and you need to
start the engine, then you discover there's a line in the water, you

would take it out of the water?

Jonathan Ganz October 19th 04 02:25 AM

There are several solutions. We typically coil the line around an unused
winch or
put it in a bag designed for that. Or, some boats have tie downs for that
purpose.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
where?

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
It's not a good way. A good way is to have it properly stowed.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Why? is a good question. For a layout that brings all lines back

to the
Cockpit, that is a good way to keep loose line out of the way

That is a neat layout of winches. How about telling us about them,
Scotty?

Ole Thom

Scott Vernon October 19th 04 02:40 AM

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
There are several solutions. We typically coil the line around an

unused
winch

but what if the line fell off the winch and into the water, then, when
you start your engine??????

Scott Vernon October 19th 04 02:41 AM

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Assuming you noticed. If it's an emergency, you might not notice

until it
was too late. Also, it's pretty lubberly to have a line trailing in

the
water when you don't intend to trail a line.

I agree. That's why I coil mine and hang it on a winch handle where it
is safe and secure.

Scotty

RICHARD October 19th 04 04:24 AM

Great Photos Scotty ,,,,, thanks.

Scott Vernon October 19th 04 03:06 PM

wrote

Is anyone surprised that binary billspit thinks winch handles are

made
by the boat builder?

The boat builder didn't manufacture much besides the hull and some

parts of the
interior. The rest of the boat is basically what the builder

selected from other
suppliers to meet a price point,

and C&C doesn't do this?

which is why your Seidlemann is loaded down
with the cheapest gear that could be found.

OH, Lewmar winches are cheap gear?

Bobsprit October 19th 04 03:21 PM

which is why your Seidlemann is loaded down
with the cheapest gear that could be found.

OH, Lewmar winches are cheap gear?

Among the lowest cost winches at that time, yes.

RB

Joe October 19th 04 03:26 PM

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message ...
Crap! I forgot the pics in the first post.

Hey Scotty Great sounding and looking trip.
I agree that fall is the best time of year to sail.

Did you ever get out of the site of land?

Is mundo really a bully and an ass?

Hows Seahags wooden project going?

I just got back from a road trip. Went to Oklahoma and bought a 1961
Ford Econoline pickup that was sitting in a barn since 81. It was a
bitch on the highway with the granny gears.... 500 miles at 53
MPH..But hey nothing is going to catch it in the 1/4 mile run. Still
all original.. even the paint.

http://www.lovefords.org/galleries/m...ry_special.jpg

I seem to remember you have a classic truck right?

Joe

I've always said that Fall is the best time to sail the Chesapeake
Bay. I had some absolutely beautiful weather, and only had to sail in
rain twice, for less than an hour each time. great winds, too. Here's
a log book style trip report;

Oct. 3 - Sunday, needed four dock carts to carry all the 'junk' to the
boat. Met a guy who was crying because his wife had sold his boat.
Sad! Very light wind, made only 2 miles and decided to anchor.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/470278.JPG

Oct. 4 - Monday, weigh anchor 1000, light wind, picked up in
afternoon. nice sunny day. Lost hat, did MOB drill and recovered it.
Anchored in Selby Bay, 2130 (39 NM) Good first day.

Oct. 5 - Tue. NOAA calling for 20-25 kt wind. yeehaw! Up anchor 1000.
See sailboat heeled over hard on sand bar, get too close while
looking, ground on bar. Sheet in tight, heel over , get free. How
embarrassing. Wind was around 20, South. made for a tiring downwind
ride trying to counter steer the large following waves. Arrive at
Solomons Island , press starter button, ...nothing. The main battery
cable broke off above the terminal end. Jump with spare wire to get
started, anchor at 1630. (45 NM)

Oct. 6 - Wed., Fix cable end, weigh anchor 1100. moderate, 5-10 wind.
Gorgeous day. Got chased off of firing range by a Navy boat. At
sundown saw a shore side house burn down. Anchor in Smith Creek, off
the Potomac River 2100. (39 NM)

Oct. 7 - Thur., Slept till noon! Pull anchor 1400. Very little wind.
Picked up nicely after sunset. Was one of those perfect nights for
sailing, nice breeze, billions of stars out, sailed till 0100 Fri.
morn. Tied up to work dock on Tangier Island (VA). (35 NM)

Sunset; http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/639756.JPG
Tangier Island;
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/sbvernon/73220.JPG

Oct. 8 - Fri., If you look up the word 'quaint' in the dictionary,
there should be a pic of Tangier Island. friendly folk. Decided to
get a slip ($20, includes elect. water, showers) and tourist it up for
the day.

Wonder who's buried here;
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/734565.JPG

Oct. 9 - Sat., Leave slip 0945. Light wind, but another gorgeous day.
Arrive Onancock VA, 1400. Hook up with Mundo (of asa fame) and visit
for the day. (12 NM)

Oct. 10 - Sunday, leave dock 0900, wind blowing 15-20 North, I want
to go north. Big waves. bury the bow 3 times, 2 rouge waves break on
the beam and I'm soaked. Luckily it was still warm out. wild ride.
Can't make much north progress. Duck into Great Wicomico River and up
the Cockrell Creek to anchor. (46 NM)

Oct. 11 - Mon., NOAA calling for the winds to die down some later in
the day, I wait till 1500 to pull out. Was a good decision. Arrive
Smith Creek at 2400 (36 NM)

Oct. 12 - Tue., Weigh anchor 0800 , 10-15 North winds again. Sail
into Little Choptank River and up Hudson Creek, drop anchor 0100.
(69 NM)

Oct. 13 - Wed., Calling for rain in the afternoon. Weigh anchor
0730, Sun and clouds, rained for an hour , then sunny again. Nice
wind. Arrive Annapolis 1500. Meet up with 'old' friends. (35 NM)

Oct. 14 - Thur., Sail out to watch the Schooner Race with Haggy and
Mr. Hag as crew. Perfect day for a sail. Some really great looking
schooners.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/124025.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/340688.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/202096.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/982666.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/497594.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/868810.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/505576.jpg
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/827120.JPG
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/235312.JPG

Oct. 15 - Fri., hang out in Annapolis

Oct. 16 - Sat., Calling for 20 kts sustained with gusts to 30, BUT
from the south. I'm headed north. leave 1000, making 6-6.5 knots
hitting 7.7 surfing down waves. Arrive at home slip, Middle River,
1500. (29 NM)

The last half mile was sad as I realized it was coming to an end.
Great weather, great sailing.

What a great 2 weeks!

Scotty

Scott Vernon October 19th 04 03:45 PM

"Joe" wrote

Hey Scotty Great sounding and looking trip.
I agree that fall is the best time of year to sail.

Yes sir, best sailing and sleeping weather!

Did you ever get out of the site of land?

No. Had to scrap that plan. Maybe next year.

Is mundo really a bully and an ass?

No, he's a sweetheart of a guy, fed me and even did my laundry for me.

Hows Seahags wooden leg project going?

Not so good, evertime she's just about done with it, the dog carries
it off and buries it, or drops it in the water.

I just got back from a road trip. Went to Oklahoma and bought a

1961
Ford Econoline pickup that was sitting in a barn since 81. It was a
bitch on the highway with the granny gears.... 500 miles at 53
MPH..But hey nothing is going to catch it in the 1/4 mile run. Still
all original.. even the paint.

http://www.lovefords.org/galleries/m...ry_special.jpg

I seem to remember you have a classic truck right?

Ugh! those things are UGLY. There's one around here, I thought the
guy made it himself from an Econoline van. I have a '53 Chevy PU.
Haven't touched it since I got the boat.

Scotty

Stephen Stephano October 19th 04 04:22 PM

Hey Scott,
It was great getting up with you. Could not make it up for the schooner race
start. Way too much going on here.

--
Mundo
"The Captain who is a bully and an ass"

&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

Scott Vernon October 19th 04 04:45 PM

What does this have to do with a winch handle?

wrote

Is anyone surprised that binary billspit thinks winch handles

are
made
by the boat builder?

EVERY builder does this. The difference is the price point they are
working towards, and the overall level of quality they need in the
final product to make it sell at that price.

C&C was not trying to make the cheapest possible boat for the
uninformed, unsophisticated, first-time buyer, as Siedlemann was.

BB

Scott Vernon October 19th 04 05:31 PM

wrote

What does this have to do with a winch handle?

Nothing. I just like to put down the boat you sail. Makes me feel

better.

BB

Jonathan Ganz October 19th 04 06:04 PM

In article ,
Scott Vernon wrote:

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
There are several solutions. We typically coil the line around an

unused
winch

but what if the line fell off the winch and into the water, then, when
you start your engine??????

It's certainly a possibility, but it's more likely that it would come
off the handle don't you think?

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com

Jonathan Ganz October 19th 04 06:06 PM

In article ,
Scott Vernon wrote:
What does this have to do with a winch handle?

Maybe he ment that it was a cheap winch handle. :-)

Bobsprit October 19th 04 08:00 PM

Did you ever get out of the site of land?

No. Had to scrap that plan. Maybe next year.

Oh boy. Scotty Potti not only has a glass house, but the stones as well.

RB

Scott Vernon October 19th 04 09:59 PM

Did I say I was going to?

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Did you ever get out of the site of land?

No. Had to scrap that plan. Maybe next year.

Oh boy.

Scott Vernon October 19th 04 10:01 PM

No. Jon, look at this pic.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/470278.JPG
do you honestly think that coil is going to 'jump' over the winch
handle?

Scotty

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote

Jonathan Ganz October 19th 04 10:15 PM

In article ,
Scott Vernon wrote:
No. Jon, look at this pic.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/470278.JPG
do you honestly think that coil is going to 'jump' over the winch
handle?

Scotty

By itself no. But, if the handle lock suddenly gave it up, it would
go in the water, right?

Scott Vernon October 19th 04 10:19 PM

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
In article ,
Scott Vernon wrote:
No. Jon, look at this pic.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/470278.JPG
do you honestly think that coil is going to 'jump' over the winch
handle?

Scotty

By itself no. But, if the handle lock suddenly gave it up, it would
go in the water, right?

Well, yeah also if an Albatross swooped down and picked up the end and
threw it in the water.....about the same thing.

Seahag October 19th 04 10:45 PM

Hope we didn't break it:^)

Seahag

"Scott Vernon" wrote:
Yes Dad. I just realized it when I was closing up the boat and
couldn't get it out. It was raining so I didn't mess with it.

I'll still leave it in while sailing.

DSK October 19th 04 10:57 PM

OzOne wrote:
Scooter, I see nothing wrong with leaving the handle in the winch in
those conditions, and looping over the winch is common practice.

Yeah, if the handle won't come out then what's the worst that could
happen, leaving it in? It's not like you're at risk of losing it.

OTOH putting on mesh sheet bags to stow the fall of the lines is not
expensive and it cleans things up enormously.

The problem with the sheet bags on our last boat is that they inevitably
got filled with candy bars & beer cans & sundry other items, so that
when you needed to handle lines (and the crew was both surprised &
outraged) the mess fleww all over the cockpit.

Some of the 'sailors' here take themselves a little too seriously.

We hve the cure for that ;)

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Jonathan Ganz October 19th 04 11:06 PM

In article ,
Scott Vernon wrote:
do you honestly think that coil is going to 'jump' over the winch
handle?

Scotty

By itself no. But, if the handle lock suddenly gave it up, it would
go in the water, right?

Well, yeah also if an Albatross swooped down and picked up the end and
threw it in the water.....about the same thing.

Scott, I've seen locks go on winch handles. One minute you can't get
it undone, then next it comes off with a straight pull.

If you were distracted with other things, I still maintain it could be
a problem. You have a rail right there next to the winch. Why not use
that for the extra line.

Jonathan Ganz October 19th 04 11:07 PM

In article , OzOne wrote:
On 19 Oct 2004 14:15:24 -0700, (Jonathan
Ganz) scribbled thusly:
By itself no. But, if the handle lock suddenly gave it up, it would
go in the water, right?

And what disaster would then befall poor Scotty?

He would have to actually sail? :-)

Jonathan Ganz October 19th 04 11:09 PM

In article , OzOne wrote:
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:01:53 -0400, "Scott Vernon"
scribbled thusly:

No. Jon, look at this pic.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/470278.JPG
do you honestly think that coil is going to 'jump' over the winch
handle?

Scotty

Scooter, I see nothing wrong with leaving the handle in the winch in
those conditions, and looping over the winch is common practice.

Some of the 'sailors' here take themselves a little too seriously.

In "those" conditions it's probably not a problem. In conditions we
see here, it could easily be a problem. I tend to plan for worst case
scenarios, since the conditions here change quickly.

Jonathan Ganz October 19th 04 11:11 PM

In article ,
DSK wrote:
OzOne wrote:
Scooter, I see nothing wrong with leaving the handle in the winch in
those conditions, and looping over the winch is common practice.

Yeah, if the handle won't come out then what's the worst that could
happen, leaving it in? It's not like you're at risk of losing it.

There is some risk of losing it inside someone who falls.

OTOH putting on mesh sheet bags to stow the fall of the lines is not
expensive and it cleans things up enormously.

The problem with the sheet bags on our last boat is that they inevitably
got filled with candy bars & beer cans & sundry other items, so that
when you needed to handle lines (and the crew was both surprised &
outraged) the mess fleww all over the cockpit.

Same thing here. I have to keep inforcing the lines only policy when
I'm teaching.

Some of the 'sailors' here take themselves a little too seriously.

We hve the cure for that ;)

Politics!!

Jonathan Ganz October 19th 04 11:29 PM

In article , OzOne wrote:
On 19 Oct 2004 15:06:43 -0700, (Jonathan
Ganz) scribbled thusly:
Scott, I've seen locks go on winch handles. One minute you can't get
it undone, then next it comes off with a straight pull.

So you lose another broken winch handle...no great loss.

My concern is not with the handle itself, although that is a good
point. I'm sure Scotty has a spare somewhere.

If you were distracted with other things, I still maintain it could be
a problem. You have a rail right there next to the winch. Why not use
that for the extra line.

You mean tie it on so it takes longer to access and gets it the way?

No. We have tie-downs for lines. They use a quick loop to secure the
line. Actually, they don't go on rails, so I mis-typed.

Peter Wiley October 20th 04 12:27 AM

In article ,
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:10:26 -0400, "Scott Vernon"
wrote:

Is anyone surprised that binary billspit thinks winch handles are made
by the boat builder?

bwahahahah

SV

The boat builder didn't manufacture much besides the hull and some parts of
the
interior. The rest of the boat is basically what the builder selected from
other
suppliers to meet a price point, which is why your Seidlemann is loaded down
with the cheapest gear that could be found. I'm surprised the standing rigging
isn't galvanized.

Hah. In fact galvanised rigging is a fraction of the cost and has
better structural properties than the commonly used 1x19 s/steel
rigging. Still, don't let facts get in your way.

PDW

Scott Vernon October 20th 04 01:36 AM

Uh, yeah, you did. You owe me for a new winch and handle.

Scotty

"Seahag" wrote in message
Hope we didn't break it:^)

Seahag

Scott Vernon October 20th 04 01:37 AM

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote

Yeah, if the handle won't come out then what's the worst that could
happen, leaving it in? It's not like you're at risk of losing it.

There is some risk of losing it inside someone who falls.

Must you gay up EVERY post?

Scott Vernon October 20th 04 01:40 AM

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote

One minute you can't get
it undone, then next it comes off with a straight pull.

If you were distracted with other things, I still maintain an

Albatross
could swoop down and pull the handle straight off.

Scott Vernon October 20th 04 01:45 AM

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote

So you lose another broken winch handle...no great loss.

My concern is not with the handle itself, although that is a good
point. I'm sure Scotty has a spare somewhere.

Actually, that IS the spare. I have a nicer one (Lewmar) for the
cockpit winches.
I need to get another one.

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

Scott Vernon October 20th 04 02:21 AM

"gonefishiing" wrote ...
ganz is gay.
gf.

you sure?

Nav October 20th 04 05:40 AM

Nice pollution!

Cheers

No. Jon, look at this pic.

Nav October 20th 04 05:43 AM

DSK wrote:

OzOne wrote:

Some of the 'sailors' here take themselves a little too seriously.

We hve the cure for that ;)

Yes but to buy a stinkpot?!

Cheers

Nav October 20th 04 05:44 AM

Hey Oz ever hear the expression bad habits die hard/

Cheers

OzOne wrote:

On 19 Oct 2004 15:09:35 -0700, (Jonathan
Ganz) scribbled thusly:

In article , OzOne wrote:

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:01:53 -0400, "Scott Vernon"
scribbled thusly:

No. Jon, look at this pic.
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/470278.JPG
do you honestly think that coil is going to 'jump' over the winch
handle?

Scotty

Scooter, I see nothing wrong with leaving the handle in the winch in
those conditions, and looping over the winch is common practice.

Some of the 'sailors' here take themselves a little too seriously.

In "those" conditions it's probably not a problem. In conditions we
see here, it could easily be a problem. I tend to plan for worst case
scenarios, since the conditions here change quickly.

Yep, we put life jackets and harnesses on and rig the boat for heavy
conditions when necessary.
When we're out for a plod around in light conditions on flat water, we
rig for that.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

gonefishiing October 20th 04 05:50 AM

oh you mean that brown stuff at the skyline...................
it's not pollution
it was put there to make incredible sunsets

gf.

"Nav" wrote in message
Nice pollution!

Cheers

No. Jon, look at this pic.

gonefishiing October 20th 04 06:11 AM

fall off?
your kidding?
if that line fell off, it's not a line in the water you need to worry about.
you may think about the need to activate the epirb. :)
gf.

(looks like you're heading north?..........generally towards NJ)

gonefishiing October 20th 04 06:14 AM

just a guess
gf.