Bill Farina

Default Throttle Friction Problems

Okay, I have a question. The throttle on my sailboat gets fairly stiff if I
have not used it for a month or so. If I set the friction on the throttle
when the boat has been used recently, I come back at a later date and find
that it has totally locked up. I then need to go in to readjust the
friction to a lighter setting. Then after I've been using the motor, the
throttle loosens up and I need to go and readjust the clamp on the cable.
Does anyone know of a way that I can put some sort of friction adjustment
knob or lever on the binnacle? Is there anyone that manufactures this type
of item? It would seem like a fairly easy item to manufacture.

I can be replied to here or at .

Bill Farina

Ummmm why not just pull it apart, clean it up, lubricate it and put it
back into proper working order?

That would be easy... The problem is that I've even replaced the cable
twice and it still does it.

Bill Farina

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 22:50:41 -0500, "Bill Farina"
scribbled thusly:

Ummmm why not just pull it apart, clean it up, lubricate it and put it
back into proper working order?

That would be easy... The problem is that I've even replaced the cable
twice and it still does it.

Have you pulled the handle and pivot apart yet?
Seems to me if it's freezing up with non use, it needs a relube.

Every time that it's taken apart, it's done. I don't think that's the
problem. They seem to move freely. The first time, a shop on Stock Island
did it for me at some incredible price. The second time, I did it. The
friction solution that the shop used seemed to be somewhat of a kludge, but
they assured me that this was the standard way to adjust friction. They
attached a cable clamp over the cable and tightened it down until the
friction increased.

BTW, is there some place to order inexpensive parts on the net? I get about
1500 hits when I google it and wonder which one is really the best place to
purchase?

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Horvath

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:40:20 -0500, "Bill Farina"
wrote this crap:

Okay, I have a question. The throttle on my sailboat gets fairly stiff if I
have not used it for a month or so. If I set the friction on the throttle
when the boat has been used recently, I come back at a later date and find
that it has totally locked up. I then need to go in to readjust the
friction to a lighter setting. Then after I've been using the motor, the
throttle loosens up and I need to go and readjust the clamp on the cable.
Does anyone know of a way that I can put some sort of friction adjustment
knob or lever on the binnacle? Is there anyone that manufactures this type
of item? It would seem like a fairly easy item to manufacture.

John Kerry says he'll be able to fix it with stem cell research.

Jonathan Ganz

Bush says he'll fix it with prayer.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote this crap:

Okay, I have a question. The throttle on my sailboat gets fairly stiff if
have not used it for a month or so. If I set the friction on the throttle
when the boat has been used recently, I come back at a later date and find
that it has totally locked up. I then need to go in to readjust the
friction to a lighter setting. Then after I've been using the motor, the
throttle loosens up and I need to go and readjust the clamp on the cable.
Does anyone know of a way that I can put some sort of friction adjustment
knob or lever on the binnacle? Is there anyone that manufactures this
type
of item? It would seem like a fairly easy item to manufacture.

John Kerry says he'll be able to fix it with stem cell research.

Alan Gomes

The Newport 27 I used to own was set up with a cable clamp to adjust the
throttle friction and it worked fine. I had the boat for about 6 years, and
I have no idea how long it was set up that way before I bought it. That
said, it doesn't seem like a great way to set it up. I guess you could say
that it will work in a pinch. (Sorry for the lame pun....)

My Catalina 30 has Edson steering and there is simply an adjustment screw
that you can get to from the top of the pedestal after removing the compass.
This screw sets the friction of the throttle lever.

Regards,
Alan Gomes

OzOne wrote in message ...

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:35:31 -0500, "Bill Farina"
scribbled thusly:

Every time that it's taken apart, it's done. I don't think that's the
problem. They seem to move freely. The first time, a shop on Stock
Island
did it for me at some incredible price. The second time, I did it. The
friction solution that the shop used seemed to be somewhat of a kludge,
but
they assured me that this was the standard way to adjust friction. They
attached a cable clamp over the cable and tightened it down until the
friction increased.

BTW, is there some place to order inexpensive parts on the net? I get
about
1500 hits when I google it and wonder which one is really the best place
purchase?

OK, so it's knackered, buy a new one and save the grief.
Can't see that squeezing the cable is a good idea, it'll be flattened
or damaged and cause all sorts of problems.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.