Alan Gomes

The Newport 27 I used to own was set up with a cable clamp to adjust the
throttle friction and it worked fine. I had the boat for about 6 years, and
I have no idea how long it was set up that way before I bought it. That
said, it doesn't seem like a great way to set it up. I guess you could say
that it will work in a pinch. (Sorry for the lame pun....)

My Catalina 30 has Edson steering and there is simply an adjustment screw
that you can get to from the top of the pedestal after removing the compass.
This screw sets the friction of the throttle lever.

Regards,
Alan Gomes

OzOne wrote in message ...

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:35:31 -0500, "Bill Farina"
scribbled thusly:

Every time that it's taken apart, it's done. I don't think that's the
problem. They seem to move freely. The first time, a shop on Stock
Island
did it for me at some incredible price. The second time, I did it. The
friction solution that the shop used seemed to be somewhat of a kludge,
but
they assured me that this was the standard way to adjust friction. They
attached a cable clamp over the cable and tightened it down until the
friction increased.

BTW, is there some place to order inexpensive parts on the net? I get
about
1500 hits when I google it and wonder which one is really the best place
purchase?

OK, so it's knackered, buy a new one and save the grief.
Can't see that squeezing the cable is a good idea, it'll be flattened
or damaged and cause all sorts of problems.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.