JAXAshby

How much sailing have you done?

Are we talking about a 15-20 footer that can't make any headway to

windward
if
the seas are more than 2 feet, and averages less than 4 knots in ideal

scruddy dood, I personally know a guy with a 19 foot day sailor who has gone CI
to BI and back perhaps as many as a dozen times. I am not sure he remembers
how many times. Ain't no big thing, except to a bathtub sailor.
Thom Stewart

ngtr,

I've been away from LIS for over fifty years but if your looking to see
new sailing grounds the Peconic Sound use to be a very pleasant place.
Greenport, thru Plum Gut can be damn interesting with some good
Restaurants and a good Chandlery. Sag Harbor good marina as well as
Greenport's and a Whaling Museum. Also good food and chance to stretch
your legs.

I give Jax full permission to edit this post due to my time away from
the Sound and my aging memory.

Good sailing

Ole Thom

JAXAshby

t if your looking to see
new sailing grounds the Peconic Sound use to be a very pleasant place.
Greenport, thru Plum Gut can be damn interesting with some good
Restaurants and a good Chandlery. Sag Harbor good marina as well as
Greenport's and a Whaling Museum. Also good food an

the Peconic is shallow, and with strong currents. I enjoy Greenport, but you
gotta tie up to a mooring (meaning YOU want to). Sag Harbor I have not
enjoyed. pretenious to say the least.
JAXAshby

billie, that guy has also sailed his 19 foot daysailor to Boston and back,
twice.

I also know a woman who crossed LIS from CT to Plum Gut on a Thistle. She just
got back from a trip to the Maritimes in a small cruiser (well under 30 feet).
The only real issues going CI to BI is the currents through The Race (they need
to be timed for best transport) and some attention to the wind direction when
crossing BI Sound.

This ain't a North Atlantic crossing in January. It is just a nice trip.

How much sailing have you done?

Are we talking about a 15-20 footer that can't make any headway to
windward
if
the seas are more than 2 feet, and averages less than 4 knots in ideal

scruddy dood, I personally know a guy with a 19 foot day sailor who has gone

CI
to BI and back perhaps as many as a dozen times. I am not sure he remembers
how many times. Ain't no big thing, except to a bathtub sailor.

Jax, you are living up to your reputation. I did not even come close to
saying
that you can't cruise the LIS in a small boat. As a teen, I cruised it
extensively in a 14 foot bluejay with a tarp over the boom for shelter.

The poster asked about cruising the length of the LIS in what he called a
"mini-cruiser". I asked a few pertinent questions, because the answers will
change my advice of route and places to consider for stopping along the way.
Since you have never sailed, knowing what sort of boat he actually has, and
how
much time for the trip, won't help you answer intelligently anyway.

The answers to his query cannot be found with google, so you may as well shut
up
now and go back to your kiddy porn.

BB

JAXAshby

I once crossed the Atlantic on a raft made out of toothpicks, in
December. Uphill, all the way. Twice.

and, on LSD to boot.

Horvath, LIS ain't that bad. Even if britchy bill can't remember the
reputation LIS has for excessive high winds 364 days a year.

Walt

Horvath wrote:

I once crossed the Atlantic on a raft made out of toothpicks, in
December. Uphill, all the way. Twice.

That would be the Atlantic Gentleman's Club on Sylvania Avenue in
Toledo, Ohio.

Cost twice as much as a lap dance, but I'm sure it was worth it.

--
// Walt
//

JAXAshby

hey, bill, cut the guy a break. Gardiner's Bay or Block Island Sound, or
whatever. It *is* the Peconic Bay (actually two bays, but what the hey) and
both Greenport AND Sag Harbor are on the edge of the Peconic.

t if your looking to see
new sailing grounds the Peconic Sound use to be a very pleasant place.
Greenport, thru Plum Gut can be damn interesting with some good
Restaurants and a good Chandlery. Sag Harbor good marina as well as
Greenport's and a Whaling Museum. Also good food an

the Peconic is shallow, and with strong currents. I enjoy Greenport, but

you
gotta tie up to a mooring (meaning YOU want to). Sag Harbor I have not
enjoyed. pretenious to say the least.

There is no such place as the Peconic Sound. Any sailor who has been
there would know that.

BB

JAXAshby

So, deciding a ----------------- route ------------------

on LIS???? What a hoot! Let's see, should I take the Great Polar Route or the
Southern Cross Rooote or the Majestic Central Meander Rout/oot?

and where to stop over will be the same
regardless of whether he can make 20 miles per day or 60? Okay.

of course. LIS ain't that wide. Pick your anchorage by where you are when you
want to anchor. Ain't no big thing.

BB

gonefishiing

you know jax
you are very right
LIS ain't no big deal
it is an easy sail from anywhere to anywhere
that is what makes sailing LIS so great

gf.

4 bold vs 2 Bolt block bob General 4 August 16th 04 02:56 PM
Are you a " Block head " ? N1EE ASA 5 May 2nd 04 01:46 AM
Suggestions for replacing 5.7 V-8 Cracked Block Scott B. Hogle General 18 February 17th 04 09:48 PM