Default City Isld <--> BLock Isld

Re. a mini-cruiser single-handing sailing to/fm City Isld & Block
Island in mid-Sept. who wants reasonably long days traveling on the
water but would prefer a marina slip or at least a moorting rather
than anchoring, what's the "best" routes to/from in terms of
sights/accomodations?

If it becomes feasible to expand the trip to/fm Block Island, where's
the "best" place to go before returning to City Isld?

Capt. Mooron

wrote in message

| Re. a mini-cruiser single-handing sailing to/fm City Isld & Block
| Island in mid-Sept. who wants reasonably long days traveling on the
| water but would prefer a marina slip or at least a moorting rather
| than anchoring, what's the "best" routes to/from in terms of
| sights/accomodations?
|
| If it becomes feasible to expand the trip to/fm Block Island, where's
| the "best" place to go before returning to City Isld?

You should talk to Bobsprit on this... if there is anyone in NYC that is
more experienced with sailing day trips on the LIS with limited experience
and a non-existent skill-set...... you would be hard pressed to locate them.

For the sake of Safety....... please avoid any "advise" submitted by Jax.

CM

Steve Daniels

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:08:09 -0300, something compelled "Capt.
Mooron" , to say:

For the sake of Safety....... please avoid any "advise" submitted by Jax.

It's "adviCe", dammit. Advise is a verb, what one does for
another. Advice is that which is given.

Although I'd agree, accepting either from JAX would be largely a
waste of time in the best case, dangerous in the worst.
Scout

especially if it's an electrical question.
Scout

"Capt. Mooron" wrote
[snip]
For the sake of Safety....... please avoid any "advise" submitted by Jax.

Capt. Mooron

Typo Nazi!

CM

"Steve Daniels" wrote in message
| On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 14:08:09 -0300, something compelled "Capt.
| Mooron" , to say:
|
| For the sake of Safety....... please avoid any "advise" submitted by Jax.
|
| It's "adviCe", dammit. Advise is a verb, what one does for
| another. Advice is that which is given.
|
| Although I'd agree, accepting either from JAX would be largely a
| waste of time in the best case, dangerous in the worst.

gonefishiing

if you're thinking of reasonable distance in a day sail, port jeff on the
long island side is a reasonable half way point.
if port jeff is not doable , try northport.
both have good accomodations.

buy a crusing guide for long island sound

if you went on from block island, you could try cutty hunk.

gf.

wrote in message

Re. a mini-cruiser single-handing sailing to/fm City Isld & Block
Island in mid-Sept. who wants reasonably long days traveling on the
water but would prefer a marina slip or at least a moorting rather
than anchoring, what's the "best" routes to/from in terms of
sights/accomodations?

If it becomes feasible to expand the trip to/fm Block Island, where's
the "best" place to go before returning to City Isld?

JAXAshby

port jeff on the
long island side is a reasonable half way point.
if port jeff is not doable

port jeff is a long haul for sailing the usual winds of LIS. it is also a
long, long haul for sailing the usual winds of LIS and Block Island Sound.
There is no reasonable anchorage on Long Island between PJ and BI (Mt Sinai is
too close to PJ to be all that useful, and Matituck Inlet is reported to be
awfully shoal in spots these days).

It is 120 miles CI to BI. If you get lucky and get winds out of the North
(usually 15 knots or more) you can sail it in two days, either direction.
Three days can be easier, unless you wanna push the throttle forward quite a
bit. Also, watch the currents at The Race. They can be seriously against you.

If you stop at nortport you will have to stop in CT the next day.

Joe

"Scout" wrote in message ...
especially if it's an electrical question.
Scout

And especially do not ask Jax about navigation.
Joe

"Capt. Mooron" wrote
[snip]
For the sake of Safety....... please avoid any "advise" submitted by Jax.

Joe

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message ...

You should talk to Bobsprit on this... if there is anyone in NYC that is
more experienced with sailing day trips on the LIS with limited experience
and a non-existent skill-set...... you would be hard pressed to locate them.

Yes! Bobspit know were ever underwater rock is!

Joe

For the sake of Safety....... please avoid any "advise" submitted by Jax.

CM

Bart Senior

You might want to start by studying some charts.

Eastern Long Island Sound, and Western Long Island Sound.

Estimate how much ground you can cover in a day, based
on the speed of your boat, and pick places based on that.

On the western end, the Long Island side is nice. There are
no harbors on the north east shore of Long Island until you get
to the claw.

Most of Connecticut is beautiful. Fishers Island Sound is gorgeous.

wrote

4 bold vs 2 Bolt block bob General 4 August 16th 04 02:56 PM
Are you a " Block head " ? N1EE ASA 5 May 2nd 04 01:46 AM
Suggestions for replacing 5.7 V-8 Cracked Block Scott B. Hogle General 18 February 17th 04 09:48 PM