Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
FamilySailor

Default Rigging AC on my sailboat

Well, I bought one of those 5,000 btu window air conditioners from Wal-Mart
for $78 to put on our sailboat. we are going to just use it at the dock with
shore power. You have to do something here with highs of 98° and 100%
humidity. I have to keep the Admiral comfortable and happy ;o)

Anyway, I digress. I don't want to have a huge ugly AC unit blocking the
entire hatch way like some do, so here is what I am going to try.

I am going to keep the AC unit stowed away normally and set it up when we
are wanting to use it. Here is what I am thinking.

1) I will set the AC over my sink which is just inside the hatch and to
starboard (that way the condensation will drip into the sink).
2) I have added 2 ducts to the AC (I bought some nice looking 4" dryer duct
that is flexible and made of aluminum, it looks sharp.)
3) I have one duct going to the side where air is sucked in.
4) I have the second duct coming off the back.
5) I made a second (lower) hatch board with 2 holes cut for the two ducts to
go through.
6) I may get a second piece of ducting hose to attach on the other side of
the hatch so the hot air will not be blowing into the cockpit.

Well, I am still making it. Any comments.
Oh, I bought a Fedders Ac and it only draws 4.6 amps which I am sure I can
get a small generator to run if I have a mind to.

Happy sails,
John