Thom Stewart

Bart,

FOR WHAT ITS WORTH; In my old age, I've rediscovered the extension
ladder for going up the mast!

With my age and Neurologic disorder (MG) I can't go up and I can't winch
a crew up. I can set a ladder up, using a halyard. I crew going aloft
still wears a Bosun seat and a halyard but they can climb and tie
themselves off. I only have to take up the slack on a self tailing
winch. The crew works more comfortable from the tied off ladder and
secured bosun seat.

Ole Thom

Joe

"Bart Senior" wrote in message . net...

create a loop for the pump only if you must have one. Make it where
you can isolate the pump out of the system when not in use. Everyone I
know who did what you did has the same proble trying to suck fuel thru
a electrical pump without it on.

Why do you even need a pump besides the one on your engine?

Joe

I"m using hose with barb fittings. I have 5/8" return lines
and 3/8" feed lines. I didn't have the right size barbs for
my secondary filter so I had to use a reduction barb.

Everything is double clamped.

The fuel is definitely good, from a clean tanks, and all
filters are new. The only thing I've changed recently is
the electric pump.

"DSK" wrote

What kind of fittings, what kind of hose, Bart? I happen to like flares
but a lot of people like compression fittings of one type or another. I
have worked with flare fittings on hi-pressure air, hydraulics, various
gasses, and other stuff, for about 30 years and the biggest problem I've
had in over ten years has been our own fuel system!

DSK

Bart Senior wrote:
These are people who probably don't know how to sail. If they
learned on small boats they would understand how powerful the
wind really is.

I think that's a BIG issue. Most of these people don't know how to sail
a small boat (ie *really* sail) and don't want to learn; but I also
think there is the issue of not spending very much time on their boat
and not spending much money on their boat. OTOH I feel that if one
cannot afford to spend fifty or a hundred bucks on new dock lines, or
unwilling to, then one probably can't (or should not attempt to) afford
the boat.

But you could be too harsh in applying this kind of thinking... I spent
a few hours before the hurricane helping one of my wife's friends, who
is trying valiantly to keep her father's boat while on a very tight budget.

Then there's the guy with a lavishly equipped Colin Archer type of forty
feet or so, who sent his daughter and son-in-law who know nothing about
seamanship and care less, to secure the boat for the hurricane. Spent
some time helping them too, the son-in-law said that the old boy would
be better off watching Popeye cartoons. His boat was lavish but
dishevelled & disorganized, an accident waiting to happen (but for
different reasons).

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

DSK

Bart Senior wrote:
I"m using hose with barb fittings. I have 5/8" return lines
and 3/8" feed lines. I didn't have the right size barbs for
my secondary filter so I had to use a reduction barb.

That shouldn't be a problem. I like to to use hard piping for most of
the fuel system but if I had to do it over again, I'd probably use flex
hose for more of it.

Everything is double clamped.

It can still leak

The fuel is definitely good, from a clean tanks, and all
filters are new. The only thing I've changed recently is
the electric pump.

That's most likely where the problem is, I still suspect an air leak.

It wouldn't hurt to check the vent, as somebody else suggested.

One benefit to putting a bypass on the pump is that you can also tee in
a manifold to use the pump for polishing and transferring fuel as well.
That is my plan, I put in the tees but not the pump. I'm going to add
another set of tanks (probably flexible bladder type) in the
not-too-distant future. Add in some gages, too.

Regards
Doug King

Maxprop

"DSK" wrote in message

The marina was well prepared, except for a few stupid people who did not
take down their roller furled genoas...

No doubt these were boats with Hood Line Drives with the loop tail not
cleated. :-)

Max

katysails

This is what a I
call a damn Yankee.

Give me a break....us damn Yankees secure our furling after every use....we
have storms with 70 mph straight line winds that shred gennies right off the
furler if they're not tied up....those are just plain dumb people...

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

Capt. Mooron

I often wondered during hurricane Juan last year if it wasn't better just to
scuttle the damn boats that belonged to ignorant, inexperienced owners...
rather than allow them to become hazards to the vessels properly secured.

Cripes... on my boat I stripped every piece of loose cloth, dodger, rail
cloths, sails and gear from the decks and placed two anchors with major
chafe gear at 45 degrees to my mooring. I secured and stripped 5 other
vessels... the owners hadn't bothered coming out to do it themselves.

4 of the 5 thanked me profusely and purchased beer and rum for me. The 5th
never showed for the entire season.... I heard he had died on vacation and
his widow was housebound in grief.

3 vessels tore their moorings... all behind me because I secured all vessels
within what I believed was a striking perimeter. Those boats that tore
loose hit , damaged and/or sank 4 others. Of course nobody got blamed but
the insurance premiums went way up... for all of us!

Overproof suffered no damage at all. I dove to free the tangled mess of rode
and anchor.

You either rise to the challenge or get swamped by the results.

CM

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
et...
| These are people who probably don't know how to sail. If they
| learned on small boats they would understand how powerful the
| wind really is.
|
| "DSK" wrote
|
| The marina was well prepared, except for a few stupid people who did not
| take down their roller furled genoas... I climbed aboard two and added a
| set of securing hitches, one with the owner standing there telling me
| the whole time that he didn't need it, didn't want it, and I better come
| back right after the storm and get it off of there. This is what a I
| call a damn Yankee. Other people secured biminis & roller furlers for
| people who either couldn't or wouldn't take them off themselves.
|
| One of these bozos said to me, "The predicted wind is only 60 knots or
| less, that's not going to be a problem." I told him that 1- less than 60
| knots could shred his bimini, yank his genoa off it's furler and dismast
| him, as well as causing major damage to boats around him (this last
| being my own concern) and 2- there was a good possibility of tornados.
| This guy also has dock lines that look like old ratty clothesline.. the
| marina dockmaster had to loan him some real lines.

DSK

katysails wrote:
Give me a break....us damn Yankees secure our furling after every use....we
have storms with 70 mph straight line winds that shred gennies right off the
furler if they're not tied up....those are just plain dumb people...

I would not say anyone is a damn Yankee unless they
1- move to the South
2- screw something up through their own laziness or stupidity
3- announce that it is all because us Southerners don't understand

or

3 (alternate) cuss out a Southerner who is trying to help (in my case
out of self interest, sure).

In other words, if you secure your roller furler properly then you can't
be a damn Yankee. Sorry

As for Yankees moving to the South, I don't like it but I don't blame
them. I have plenty of Yankee friends.... I prefer good Yankees to those
few southerners who are stupid & mean.

DSK

Bart Senior

"DSK" wrote
Bart Senior wrote:
These are people who probably don't know how to sail. If they
learned on small boats they would understand how powerful the
wind really is.

I think that's a BIG issue. Most of these people don't know how to sail
a small boat (ie *really* sail) and don't want to learn; but I also
think there is the issue of not spending very much time on their boat
and not spending much money on their boat. OTOH I feel that if one
cannot afford to spend fifty or a hundred bucks on new dock lines, or
unwilling to, then one probably can't (or should not attempt to) afford
the boat.

I need new dock lines. For me it is a matter of time to splice them up
with thimbles and shackles. Also, I haven't decided if I want to keep the
boat bow in or stern in. With a 46' boat in a 40' slip, this is a big
consideration. I built a finger dock, but I'll need to extend it a ways
to be useful. Chances are I'll make up the new dock lines and then
decide to change everything around--that's boating. And it's probably
good seamanship to be willing to make necessary changes no matter
what the cost.

Ainslie just one a Finn race. Awesome wind in Athens. 25 knots and
gorgeous. Oh crap, now they are showing badminton! Time to change
the channel.

Then there's the guy with a lavishly equipped Colin Archer type of forty
feet or so, who sent his daughter and son-in-law who know nothing about
seamanship and care less, to secure the boat for the hurricane. Spent
some time helping them too, the son-in-law said that the old boy would
be better off watching Popeye cartoons. His boat was lavish but
dishevelled & disorganized, an accident waiting to happen (but for
different reasons).

I feel like that sometimes. I have 50 things to do.