Capt. Mooron

I often wondered during hurricane Juan last year if it wasn't better just to
scuttle the damn boats that belonged to ignorant, inexperienced owners...
rather than allow them to become hazards to the vessels properly secured.

Cripes... on my boat I stripped every piece of loose cloth, dodger, rail
cloths, sails and gear from the decks and placed two anchors with major
chafe gear at 45 degrees to my mooring. I secured and stripped 5 other
vessels... the owners hadn't bothered coming out to do it themselves.

4 of the 5 thanked me profusely and purchased beer and rum for me. The 5th
never showed for the entire season.... I heard he had died on vacation and
his widow was housebound in grief.

3 vessels tore their moorings... all behind me because I secured all vessels
within what I believed was a striking perimeter. Those boats that tore
loose hit , damaged and/or sank 4 others. Of course nobody got blamed but
the insurance premiums went way up... for all of us!

Overproof suffered no damage at all. I dove to free the tangled mess of rode
and anchor.

You either rise to the challenge or get swamped by the results.

CM

et...