Dennis Vogel

Default Night Vision

I'm going to be in an all night race and expect to be sailing back in the
direction of other boats coming right at me.

I thought a night vision scope would be handy, but someone told me only the
very expensive ones can see half a mile or more. Most can see only about 100
yards which is a short time when two boats are coming at each other on a
collision course.

Anyone have any experience with night vision scopes on the water?

Thanks, Dennis

DSK

"Dennis Vogel" scribbled thusly:
I'm going to be in an all night race and expect to be sailing back in the
direction of other boats coming right at me.

I thought a night vision scope would be handy, but someone told me only the
very expensive ones can see half a mile or more. Most can see only about 100
yards which is a short time when two boats are coming at each other on a
collision course.

Anyone have any experience with night vision scopes on the water?

OzOne wrote:
Not really necessary with a good set of eyes.

Agreed. That plus a VHF to call any traffic.

With no cockpit lights or light from below you'll be amazed at how
much you can see.

Agreed again. With night vision scopes there is the issue of field of
view and focus. A lot of times with a boat bouncing around, you can't
see anything through any optical equip't.

Another issue is that when keeping watch, if you have a night vision
scope then you will be fussing with the scope, not extending every
possible nerve to spot oncoming trouble. It is surprising how subtle
little clues cna be spotted & interpreted, but would be missed by either
a less experienced or a distracted watchstander.

A good friend of mine has a nice "3rd generation" night vision scope
which is a cool spy toy, but he insists it's good for all kinds of
things (like hunting) that would be scary to rely on IMHO.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

gonefishiing

agreed
also check the phase of the clouds. in my opinion the clouds play more with
night visiblity than the moon
clouds reflect light. a clear sky does not
but than again i sail in NY, so maybe this makes some difference

gf.

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:21:30 GMT, "Dennis Vogel"
scribbled thusly:

I'm going to be in an all night race and expect to be sailing back in the
direction of other boats coming right at me.

I thought a night vision scope would be handy, but someone told me only

the
very expensive ones can see half a mile or more. Most can see only about

100
yards which is a short time when two boats are coming at each other on a
collision course.

Anyone have any experience with night vision scopes on the water?

Thanks, Dennis

Not really necessary with a good set of eyes.
With no cockpit lights or light from below you'll be amazed at how
much you can see.

Check the phase of the moon for your return trip.
It may be quite full and save you the anxiety and expense of a rarely
used piece of equipment.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Bart Senior

You don't need a night vision scope.

Use your eyes and set your crew to work spotting also.

"Dennis Vogel" wrote

I'm going to be in an all night race and expect to be sailing back in the
direction of other boats coming right at me.

I thought a night vision scope would be handy, but someone told me only

the
very expensive ones can see half a mile or more. Most can see only about

100
yards which is a short time when two boats are coming at each other on a
collision course.

Anyone have any experience with night vision scopes on the water?

Thanks, Dennis

Jonathan Ganz

Yep, however, some don't even though they know better. We barely
missed one of SF one night. The only reason we saw it was the silhouette
against the city front.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Dennis Vogel wrote:

I'm going to be in an all night race and expect to be sailing back in

the
direction of other boats coming right at me.

I thought a night vision scope would be handy, but someone told me only

the
very expensive ones can see half a mile or more. Most can see only about

100
yards which is a short time when two boats are coming at each other on a
collision course.

Anyone have any experience with night vision scopes on the water?

Thanks, Dennis

Maxprop

"Dennis Vogel" wrote in message

I'm going to be in an all night race and expect to be sailing back in the
direction of other boats coming right at me.

I thought a night vision scope would be handy, but someone told me only

the
very expensive ones can see half a mile or more. Most can see only about

100
yards which is a short time when two boats are coming at each other on a
collision course.

Anyone have any experience with night vision scopes on the water?

Our only experience with NV gear is that when the skipper of the other boat
is using it, that boat generally falls back rather significantly. Our
suspicion is that the skip is spending too much time being entertained with
the NV gear and not with sailing his boat. We've seen this twice.

Max

Michael

It's not just close in work fordocking etc.

We use them on bridge watch quite often. They increase the range of your
vision dramatically. I wouldn't buy a really expensive pair one of the less
expensive ones will do fine. But the Mark1 and Mark 1 Mod 1 vision system
(eyeballs and eyeballs with glasses) can only penetrate the gloom and haze
just so far. Mark 2 vision systems (Binoculars) extend this andare very
useful at night bu and shore lights NOT through haze. Enter the Mark 3's.
They will always pick up the lights of other craft at amuch fartherdistance
than M1 or M2. This applys no matter what your height off the water but
beingableto spot that top range light on the freighter or navlight on the
mast of another sail boat atthe farthest distancepossible is always a good
thing.

That only leaves height as a way to increase distance. I'll leave your
abilities to go aloft to you. Not one of thefirst or second pagelist of
gadgets but ifthey are available I would damn sure use them!

M.

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

"Capt. Mooron" wrote ...
I often go full stealth with no lights at all and radar on to identify
approaching vessels..... you'd best have night vision if you want to see

me

That's Mooronic.

! Then again Brian... you're probably another impoverished dock side

sailor
with little experience and a need to voice your opinion.

You couldn't be more wrong you dumb Canook.

Allow me to inform you about the value of your opinion.... it has no

merit!

yes it does.

Scotty

Night Vision test Bobsprit ASA 0 June 29th 04 12:28 PM
Night vision scope Peter Janssen ASA 1 November 26th 03 11:44 PM
NIght Vision Test Bobsprit ASA 14 November 25th 03 07:29 PM
Night Vision Bobsprit ASA 12 November 17th 03 02:42 AM