Joe

Default Living the Dream....

Sandy and Cheri were in the slip next to me. They tricked out a P-40
and named it Namasta and have started cruising the world. You can see
the farewell party here at the marina and follow them on thier
adventures on-line at

http://www.oceanicventures.com then click on the news section.

Sandy bought his boat 2 days before I bought mine. We both worked 4
years restoring our boat. His had a fire onboard, and mine was just
neglected.

I will miss them, they were great neighbors, and his mast is 4 foot
taller than mine and for some reason always attracted lightning. Im
jelious they Shoved off before we did, but more than anything Im happy
for them.

They do not have any set course just going to wander the earth for
the rest of their lives. They plan to spin a bottle in the cockpit and
head the way it points.

Joe
DSK

Joe wrote:
Sandy and Cheri were in the slip next to me. They tricked out a P-40
and named it Namasta and have started cruising the world.

The Pearson 40 is a pretty nice boat, my wife and I looked at several.
It's a centerboarder with a mid-1970s IOR hull. It is nice to have a
flush deck combined with shallow draft but these boats have some notable
limitations. On the plus side Pearsons are among the better built
production boats of that era IMHO.

Sandy bought his boat 2 days before I bought mine. We both worked 4
years restoring our boat. His had a fire onboard, and mine was just
neglected.

In 4 years of work, you could have made enough money to buy a better boat.

They do not have any set course just going to wander the earth for
the rest of their lives. They plan to spin a bottle in the cockpit and
head the way it points.

It would make a lot more sense to consult weather fax & chart, and head
the way that conditions favor.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Bob Crantz

Doug,

Why must you rain on someone's parade with common sense?

I would suggest they pull the rudder from the boat to be 100% consistent.

Why earn a wage at $30 an hour and achieve your "goal" in 18 months when you
can slave for four years at sub-minimum wage and benefit from the negative
health effects? It's called building character! hahahahaha

Looney isn't it.

Doug, you da man!

BC

"DSK" wrote in message
Joe wrote:
[...]

DSK

Bob Crantz wrote:

Doug,

Why must you rain on someone's parade with common sense?

I would suggest they pull the rudder from the boat to be 100% consistent.

Why earn a wage at $30 an hour and achieve your "goal" in 18 months when you
can slave for four years at sub-minimum wage and benefit from the negative
health effects? It's called building character! hahahahaha

Looney isn't it.

Doug, you da man!

I certainly did not mean to rain on anybody's parade but why do you
think it's so cool if I did?

I enjoy working on my own boat but if it took me 4 years of full time
work then it'd be a BIG question whether it's worth it. We are certainly
planning to do more work on our boat, but then we have already been
cruising in it besides.

A burnt-up Pearson 40 would a boat worth pulling out of the scrap heap.
I bet they have a fine cruiser with good sailing performance and shoal
draft. But the same amount of work devoted to a Coronado 27 would be
just plain stupid. Not to name names, but a couple we know is spending
all their weekends rebuilding a houseboat which sunk & is trashed. They
are replacing everything on it and doing some structural work besides.
By now they could have bought a newer houseboat, better equipped, and
ready to go, instead they still have years of work and will have a boat
that wasn't that good to start with.

That, plus the idea of trying to live like a character in a Jimmy Buffet
song, does not appeal to me.

DSK

Bob Crantz

"DSK" wrote in message

I certainly did not mean to rain on anybody's parade but why do you
think it's so cool if I did?

I was simply complementing you on your insight.
I'm sorry you read something into it that wasn't there.
Next time I'll be even more explicit.

BC

DSK

Bob Crantz wrote:
I was simply complementing you on your insight.
I'm sorry you read something into it that wasn't there.
Next time I'll be even more explicit.

Explicit is good... about some things anyway...

I was trying to diplomatically suggest that you should not be so
mean-spirited. It's bad for you.

DSK

Joe

DSK wrote in message . ..
Joe wrote:
Sandy and Cheri were in the slip next to me. They tricked out a P-40
and named it Namasta and have started cruising the world.

The Pearson 40 is a pretty nice boat, my wife and I looked at several.
It's a centerboarder with a mid-1970s IOR hull. It is nice to have a
flush deck combined with shallow draft but these boats have some notable
limitations. On the plus side Pearsons are among the better built
production boats of that era IMHO.

Yeah it a very fast boat, but quite cramped for crusing IMO.
I like the flush decks as well.
The centerboard if tuned right is a great handling feature.

Sandy bought his boat 2 days before I bought mine. We both worked 4
years restoring our boat. His had a fire onboard, and mine was just
neglected.

In 4 years of work, you could have made enough money to buy a better boat.

Well.... we still had/have careers to deal with. He did well and can
now cruise as long as he desires and not worry about money.

When I said it took 4 years of work.... I mean more of a hobby type
pace after hours, while living aboard.

They do not have any set course just going to wander the earth for
the rest of their lives. They plan to spin a bottle in the cockpit and
head the way it points.

It would make a lot more sense to consult weather fax & chart, and head
the way that conditions favor.

They will, nobody said they are just going to jump out capt ron
style without planning. He just wants to get away from schedules and
such, thats how he made a living. He planned and org. huge public
event that took most of the year to put together with intence
planning, mkt, and a carved in stone schedule.

Joe

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

DSK

Joe wrote:
Yeah it a very fast boat,

Well, I wouldn't call it "very fast." A Baltic or Ericson or Nordic (not
Nordic*a*, sorry Mooron) or Frers or C&C (to mention a few) of the same
size would leave it behind. But the P-40 is a good sailing boat, seems
to handle well and moves upwind and down. It's got a mid-70s IOR shape
but is not a full fledged broach coach. Some have done well in offshore
races.

... but quite cramped for crusing IMO.

It's got a lot of room for it's LWL and price, but prob'ly not as much
as you're used to... and it is a heavy boat. My wife didn't like the
interior much, it's all amidships.

I like the flush decks as well.
The centerboard if tuned right is a great handling feature.

Yes, two things I really like.

In 4 years of work, you could have made enough money to buy a better boat.

Well.... we still had/have careers to deal with.

Ah, sorry. I thought you meant full time.

... He did well and can
now cruise as long as he desires and not worry about money.

There are two kinds of people that don't have to worry about money...
Rockefellers and bums. I learned a long time ago that the more attention
you pay to your money, the more of it you'll have to enjoy. But I sure
don't believe in getting ulcers over it.

Anyway I think your friends are off on a nice adventure and in their
boat they will be able to visit a lot of places other boats can't get in to.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

A Dream maybe? AJM Cruising 5 July 11th 04 10:07 PM
living aboard in Marina Del Rey Neville General 1 May 28th 04 06:29 PM
Any tax advantages to living aboard in California? MLapla4120 Cruising 20 March 3rd 04 04:28 PM
Save The Dream Paul Atkinson Cruising 6 November 7th 03 02:39 PM