MLapla4120

Default Any tax advantages to living aboard in California?

Hi,
I'm new to living aboard on my sailboat and it's tax time so I was wondering
if there were any tax advantages. I don't want to file yet, until I do a
little research. My boat is my only home, where I live. I'm not paying
interest
on the loan.

Thanks
Doug Dotson

If you are not paying interest on a boat loan, then I don;t know
of any tax advantages. But if it is your primary residence then
as far as I know you can take advantage of anything a normal
homeowner can. For example if you have a home office, etc.

Doug
s/v Callista

"MLapla4120" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm new to living aboard on my sailboat and it's tax time so I was

wondering
if there were any tax advantages. I don't want to file yet, until I do a
little research. My boat is my only home, where I live. I'm not paying
interest
on the loan.

Thanks

Steve

If your really serious about finding some taxes to save on while living on
your boat, you might try challenging the State of Calif. (and county) on the
personal property tax they charge on all boats.

It seems you might have a good case since the boat is your residence and
shouldn't be consider personal property.

Even if they come after your boat for real estate tax, the taxes would be
much less than what they charge for personal property tax.

However, since it take a couple years for you to get your first tax bill,
you probably shouldn't consider messing with the assessor until you get a
bill..

Only half way serious!

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

ca-vet

This is a joke - right?? Tax advantages in CA !!!

The biggest ****-off is getting the tax bill for the real property tax
(not personal) on the MUD at the bottom of the water in your slip. I
kid you not. They ****ing tax the ocean bottom of the slip - it
amounts to about $200 for a 50' slip per year.

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:57:31 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

If your really serious about finding some taxes to save on while living on
your boat, you might try challenging the State of Calif. (and county) on the
personal property tax they charge on all boats.

It seems you might have a good case since the boat is your residence and
shouldn't be consider personal property.

Even if they come after your boat for real estate tax, the taxes would be
much less than what they charge for personal property tax.

However, since it take a couple years for you to get your first tax bill,
you probably shouldn't consider messing with the assessor until you get a
bill..

Only half way serious!

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

ca-vet wrote:

This is a joke - right?? Tax advantages in CA !!!

The biggest ****-off is getting the tax bill for the real property tax
(not personal) on the MUD at the bottom of the water in your slip. I
kid you not. They ****ing tax the ocean bottom of the slip - it
amounts to about $200 for a 50' slip per year.

So do they only do this for live-aboards or for all slips? Do they
charge for moorings?

That's equivalent to the real estate taxes I pay for an unimproved lot
in Colorado. (half size lot so you need 2 to build anything with no
water or services and no buildings).

grandma Rosalie

Dan Best

What a lot of people fail to understand is that nowhere in the US and
esp. not here in CA, taxes are not about fairness, quid-pro-quo or even
paying your fair share. Those in power simple decide that they need X
dollars (doesn't matter why, that's almost immaterial). Now, where can
we get it? Basically, if they can measure it, they will tax it.

Can you imagine how Thomas Jefferson would have responded if the
colonial government had tried to say that unless he paid a hefty tax for
each of his horses and wagons, he couldn't use them? And by the way,
even if you don't plan on using one of the wagons, you MUST file a form
stating so with us and pay us for the privelege of not using it. Do you
think he would have been grateful that they charged him less if he filed
the non-use form than if he wanted to use the wagon occaisionally?